Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Highlands Inn - Hyatt Carmel REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by saint
Oh wow. That Hyatt Regency in Rosebank used to be a Park Hyatt?
Yup! It was opened as Park Hyatt Johannesburg on November 27th, 1995.

https://www.hba.com/project/park-hyatt-johannesburg
saint likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2021, 10:06 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I'm trying to book a one night stay in May, but availability only shows for two night reservations for both cash/points options. Its actually the first time I've come across this (for a paid stay), so I had no idea that hotels are allowed to do this... the obvious answer would be to make a two night booking and attempt to trim it down to one, but wanted to check if anyone has done this on a paid rate (i know its sometimes possible on an award stay)

Last edited by lily23; Mar 16, 2021 at 10:21 pm Reason: clarify paid vs. award stay
Old Mar 16, 2021, 11:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum (LTG), Hilton Gold, United 1K, AA EXP, AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by lily23
I'm trying to book a one night stay in May, but availability only shows for two night reservations for both cash/points options. Its actually the first time I've come across this (for a paid stay), so I had no idea that hotels are allowed to do this... the obvious answer would be to make a two night booking and attempt to trim it down to one, but wanted to check if anyone has done this on a paid rate (i know its sometimes possible on an award stay)
If it is a weekend (especially around Memorial Day), it is common to encounter 2 night minimums. The Monterey Carmel area targets weekend tourists with more limited weekday activities. I have had multi-night award bookings trimmed (usually 3 to 2) so it’s not unheard of. Good luck.
lily23 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 7:13 pm

keep in mind the hotel takes a 2 night deposit on all reservations. so, even in Hyatt central reservations somehow reduces a 2-night stay to 1-night, then you'd still have the second order fight of getting a deposit refund.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Flying Blue Gold, BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Colin
keep in mind the hotel takes a 2 night deposit on all reservations. so, even in Hyatt central reservations somehow reduces a 2-night stay to 1-night, then you'd still have the second order fight of getting a deposit refund.
Yep I'd thought of that too, decided it might not be worth the hassle, will probably just stay in Monterey instead
Old Mar 18, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Yep I'd thought of that too, decided it might not be worth the hassle, will probably just stay in Monterey instead
Unless you are stuck on staying at a Hyatt property, there is an equally nice hotel right next to the Highlands Inn and which has the same ocean views. They do take one night reservations. Check out the Tickle Pink Inn (don't be put off by the name - it's not a whore house).
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Unless you are stuck on staying at a Hyatt property, there is an equally nice hotel right next to the Highlands Inn and which has the same ocean views. They do take one night reservations. Check out the Tickle Pink Inn (don't be put off by the name - it's not a whore house).
Thank you! The Tickle Pink Inn does look nice and way better than the Hyatt Monterey (which apparently has questionable cleanliness based on recent reviews). Won't get to collect any loyalty points, but it will be neat to try out a new hotel and see how this compares to the Highlands Inn.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:16 am

if you're not Hyatt locked, stay in downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea. totally worth it.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Colin
if you're not Hyatt locked, stay in downtown Carmel-by-the-Sea. totally worth it.
Yup, I love Carmel-by-the-sea! The intent was to spend a day hanging out in Carmel-by-the-sea before heading down to Big Sur, but I didn't realize so many places would have a 2 night minimum. Any suggestions on hotels? L'auberge also has a two night stay minimum =(

Also, it looks like Tickle Pink Inn's remaining room types are allocated to two night min stays too...
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:21 pm

Yup, I love Carmel-by-the-sea! The intent was to spend a day hanging out in Carmel-by-the-sea before heading down to Big Sur, but I didn't realize so many places would have a 2 night minimum. Any suggestions on hotels? L'auberge also has a two night stay minimum =(

Also, it looks like Tickle Pink Inn's remaining room types are allocated to two night min stays too...
It's pricey but the beranrdus lodge in Carmel Valley about 20 minutes inland from carmel by the sea is a great property and looks like will let you book for just one night if that night is a friday...saturday looks to have a two night minimum. Great food at the restaurant too.

honestly not that surprising that you are struggling if you are trying to stay saturday night only. I've seen the same thing in Napa as well. Sometimes things open up just before hand, but sometimes not...
lily23 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The HR Monterey often has a two night minimum for weekends during the summer as well.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 6:19 pm

Ended up making a flexible booking at Marriott Monterey which has no min. stay requirements, will check closer to the date to see if any of the above mentioned hotels open up availability for one night stay. Thanks all for the help =)
Old Mar 18, 2021, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Ended up making a flexible booking at Marriott Monterey which has no min. stay requirements, will check closer to the date to see if any of the above mentioned hotels open up availability for one night stay. Thanks all for the help =)
That's not a great choice. Here are some other choices that are right on or just across the street from the water and have great views. . I checked in mid-April, to see if they allowed a one night stay on a Friday or a Saturday: Spindrift Inn on Cannery Row and the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
That's not a great choice. Here are some other choices that are right on or just across the street from the water and have great views. . I checked in mid-April, to see if they allowed a one night stay on a Friday or a Saturday: Spindrift Inn on Cannery Row and the Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove.
Thank you, both of those look great! Seven Gables does require a two night stay on a saturday, but spindrift does not =)
Old Mar 20, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Any recent stay? Is onsite dining open now? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.