Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I guess GH HK chooses to hide behind WOH since others are still giving us the restaurant as an option.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
My friend stayed at the Grand Hyatt Bangkok a few weeks ago and was explicitly told by the Front Desk Manager that breakfast at the main restaurant is a Globalist benefit.
Interesting. In half a dozen stays at GH Erawan, I was never told that. It was my impression you had to pay to eat at the restaurant.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by Central90210
Anyone knows of a GH property with a Grand Club that is still offering full breakfast at a restaurant?
What, and create a list for corporate to crack down on? Suffice to say they are not unicorns.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pWei
What, and create a list for corporate to crack down on? Suffice to say they are not unicorns.
There is no “crackdown” by WoH.

Some Hyatts are still one step above by offering Glob breakfast in lounge, restaurant, or room service. GH HK is misleading guests by using WoH as scapegoat.

Currently at property and construction still going on across the street. If you are room during the day, I recommend asking for garden view.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 7:10 am

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong - December 2017

Background:

I've stayed here many times and I am surprised I haven't posted any thoughts / pictures. Anyway, I stayed on a Cash + Points for one night.

Check-in:

I arrived early at around 0900h. I went to check-in at the Grand Club. They were willing to upgrade me to a Suite but not until about 1400 / 1500h. The Suite is not much different from a room with a view so I opted for the room. Late check-out was offered.

Breakfast at Grand Club:

Note that the Grand Club now no longer includes certain a la carte eggs unlike before (e.g. eggs benedict). This is an unwelcome move. Instead you can get what's below. I opted for one poached egg.

View from Grand Club:

Almond milk is served in the Grand Club but not in the Grand Café:

Room on 32nd floor:

Afternoon tea at Grand Club:

Happy Hour at Grand Club (Day 1) - limited photos only:

Happy Hour at Grand Club (Day 2):

Breakfast at the Grand Café:

Note that Breakfast at the Grand Café is no longer offered to Globalists. As aforementioned by previous posters, this is due to the vile World of Hyatt.

Conclusion:

The Grand Hyatt Hong Kong remains a very competent and well-maintained hotel. The highlight has always been and still is the staff in the Grand Club who are all excellent.

Unfortunately the awful World of Hyatt has diluted the breakfast benefit (which, to be clear, was no problem under Gold Passport for Diamonds). In addition, the Happy Hour food in the Grand Club has not changed for about 2 years (the same cold items and desserts, the same BBQ pork puffs / pan-fried Vietnamese shrimp cakes / pan-fried pork things / types of chicken / vegetable spring rolls). I have asked them to upgrade it to something more substantial and was previously told that they want it to only be finger food. This is disappointing and not a mindset I agree with, especially when you compare it to the likes of the Grand Hyatt Macau (most excellent) and Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur. On the plus side, Ruinart remains freely available throughout the day and the scones at afternoon tea have been improved.

The gym (not pictured) remains not busy with decent equipment and the Grand Café breakfast remains extensive (albeit with particularly unfriendly service staff).

Given the off-putting World of Hyatt, relatively mediocre Grand Club Happy Hour food and non-provision of full breakfast, it is unlikely I will be returning to the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong which is a damn shame given how good most of their staff are. I'm not sure what other hotel in Hong Kong to go to though as I wasn't blown away by the JW Marriott Hong Kong.
Central90210 and zip10001 like this.

Last edited by Singapore_Air; Dec 25, 2017 at 7:15 am
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Member

As mentioned my post above, it’s NOT WoH taking restaurant breakfast away, it the hotel’s decision to do so and they are using WoH as an excuse.

Dusseldorf, Cologne, Montreal, to name a few, all have lounges are they continue to offer breakfast in restaurant. Some even offer room service for Glob.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by seawolf
As mentioned my post above, it’s NOT WoH taking restaurant breakfast away, it the hotel’s decision to do so and they are using WoH as an excuse.

Dusseldorf, Cologne, Montreal, to name a few, all have lounges are they continue to offer breakfast in restaurant. Some even offer room service for Glob.
Definitely. This hotel is a shell of what it was pre renovation.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf

While I have never stayed in the Hyatts in Düsseldorf, Cologne and Montreal, I’m willing to guess that they don’t serve Ruinart at the lounge for the whole day. GH Hong Kong does, in fact, I don’t recall staying in any other Hyatts that does. You win some and lose some.

The GH Hong Kong is Hyatt’s international flagship hotel, I’m sure it receives more attention from Hyatt corporate in terms of WoH alignment for such a tent-pole benefit than say the HR Montreal. I think there are no reasons for the GM of such a prominent Hyatt to play with words and use WoH as a scapegoat. But yes, paint me as one of the ones being bummed that Grand Cafe breakfast is taken away.

Nice review and photos, Singapore_Air. While the happy hour offerings didn’t change much in the past years, I don’t really agree that happy hour is the place for more substantial offerings. It’s supposed to be your pre-dinner meal, hence the finger foods and lots of cold appetiziers.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2017, 11:08 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Central90210

While I have never stayed in the Hyatts in Düsseldorf, Cologne and Montreal, I’m willing to guess that they don’t serve Ruinart at the lounge for the whole day. GH Hong Kong does, in fact, I don’t recall staying in any other Hyatts that does. You win some and lose some.

The GH Hong Kong is Hyatt’s international flagship hotel, I’m sure it receives more attention from Hyatt corporate in terms of WoH alignment for such a tent-pole benefit than say the HR Montreal. I think there are no reasons for the GM of such a prominent Hyatt to play with words and use WoH as a scapegoat. But yes, paint me as one of the ones being bummed that Grand Cafe breakfast is taken away.

Nice review and photos, Singapore_Air. While the happy hour offerings didn’t change much in the past years, I don’t really agree that happy hour is the place for more substantial offerings. It’s supposed to be your pre-dinner meal, hence the finger foods and lots of cold appetiziers.
The buffets at the German locations are pretty extensive and comparable to GH HK cafe minus the Asian offerings.

The changes to the property in the past year with reclassifying rooms resulting in less entry level suites and Singapore_Air mentioning no more hot eggs option in lounge suggest hotel is cutting back on benefits out of their own accord. I highly doubt WoH made GM take out the hot eggs.

Adding to list of hotels offering restaurant breakfast despite having lounge, Berlin and looks like Bangkok as well as per several posts up.
Markie likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Completed a stay last week and will post a more thorough review. However, we had breakfast in the lounge 4 days and requested made to order eggs with no questions asked. The egg preparation request didn’t always match the special (e.g., poached egg on special but asked for scrambled).
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:42 am

I stayed here back in October and the excellent grand club staff never hesitated to make us fried eggs (not on their menu). I think it's just a matter of asking (for now).

Personally for me a Grand Club like this one is a treat. I'm used to the nothingness in US clubs (and airport lounges) so when I travel abroad, I'm usually more than satisfied with the offerings. We had no issues turning the evening reception into a perfectly acceptable (and free) dinner a couple of nights. They offer a pretty extensive variety.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Any recent explorists stay experiences? I’m looking to use a club access certificate here, and wonder if I’ll get a room upgrade from the hotel.

another question. I read upthread that the lounge might not be accessible for fireworks events (private party). Maybe I misinterpreted, but is this true?
Ive booked a room here and at the Conrad for CNY February 17th and plan to enjoy the spectacle from the lounge. Haven’t decided on which Hotel to keep and which to cancel. Looking for experience feedback.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Personally for me a Grand Club like this one is a treat. I'm used to the nothingness in US clubs (and airport lounges) so when I travel abroad, I'm usually more than satisfied with the offerings. We had no issues turning the evening reception into a perfectly acceptable (and free) dinner a couple of nights. They offer a pretty extensive variety.
I think for those of us in Asia and for those of us who have seen what this hotel used to offer, their current offering is a significant downgrade.

Furthermore, the happy hour offering hasn’t changed in years. Whatever you see now is exactly the same as what they served two or three years ago. For regulars, it gets very dull. I’ve also moved my business away from this hotel, despite the amazing staff.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
Originally Posted by Aventine
Definitely. This hotel is a shell of what it was pre renovation.
I would like to say a bit like GHE before and after renovation. Costs of the works probably sky rocketted and they made cuts, are not as generoud as they were... bean counters came in the way!
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by carmy
I think for those of us in Asia and for those of us who have seen what this hotel used to offer, their current offering is a significant downgrade.
I would agree - Expectations for Asian hotels should be higher than elsewhere and so other properties have now surpassed the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong offering (and that is just my limited experience across Hyatt and Marriott hotels). Given the rates the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong charges, they can well afford to offer a more premium spread and experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.