Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
other properties have now surpassed the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong offering (and that is just my limited experience across Hyatt and Marriott hotels)
This property still compares well to many of the obvious competitors on both hard product and service - including the Conrad, JW, and W. Properties like the Pen, MO, and RC are considerably more expensive.

It's unfortunate they killed the Grand Cafe breakfast for Globalists though. That's a competitive fail IMO.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Given the rates the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong charges, they can well afford to offer a more premium spread and experience.
From what I’m experiencing, their rates have been going down these past 2-3 years, while the rates at other high end hotels like MO, FS, Ritz et al have been staying stable. I would never imagine getting rates as low as HK$1800 + 10% here 2-3 years ago. In fact, I don’t remember ever paying more than HK$2800 + 10% these days, though of course there are days when their rates shoot up to around HK$3500 when there’s a high end expo going on at the HKCEE.

I have also also heard from staff members here that the previous GM, Philip, is a perfect sample of a bean counter, while the new GM, Richard, is definitely less of a penny pincher, although Grand Cafe breakfast was taken away under Richard’s watch, so will see..

Regarding eggs at the Grand Club - just ask. The team at the Grand Club are so good that I’m sure there aren’t a lot of things they will say no to. Eggs royale with Ruinart and a cup of caramel latte at 7am? They got you covered. The Grand Club team is one of the main reasons that make me want to come back.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Central90210
From what I’m experiencing, their rates have been going down these past 2-3 years, while the rates at other high end hotels like MO, FS, Ritz et al have been staying stable.
IMO GH is not in the same class as any of those properties. It is a convention hotel. A very nice convention hotel, but a convention hotel nonetheless.

I agree the rates have dropped, particularly the last year or so. Same at JW and Conrad. Which are comparable class, if slightly inferior on hard product.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO GH is not in the same class as any of those properties. It is a convention hotel. A very nice convention hotel, but a convention hotel nonetheless.

I agree the rates have dropped, particularly the last year or so. Same at JW and Conrad. Which are comparable class, if slightly inferior on hard product.
I haven’t been to JW is more than 10+ years but stayed at Conrad and GH last month. Club GH rooms definitely better than club Conrad rooms. Conrad checkin was meh. Had to wait 7-10 min being first in line to check in and four ppl online including myself.

As Hilton Diamond and WoH Glob, I would pick GH over Conrad without a second thought.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
As Hilton Diamond and WoH Glob, I would pick GH over Conrad without a second thought.
Conrad's location and breakfast are better. And it doesn't overlook a huge construction site.

Otherwise I agree the rooms and service are better at GH. But is not at all a clearcut overall advantage GH. My last several bookings went to Conrad. I really dislike GH location.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:44 pm
Original Member

I realize different guests have different requirements.

I usually access MTR. Conrad access to MTR is closer and indoors (about 700 ft as per Google vs 1,400 ft from GH to Wan Chai MTR) but 1,400 ft wasn't that bad for someone use to commuting in a city like NYC. It is the length of 1.5 Midtown Manhattan avenue blocks.

As for the construction site, view not really important to me so I usually ask for a room facing the island side to avoid the daytime noise which is comparable to Conrad since they only upgraded me as a Diamond from base room to executive level mountain side.

Breakfast - Conrad buffet definitely ahead of GH lounge. Personally, often times, I don't even take breakfast at either hotel even at GH cafe.; much rather get a locals breakfast at a hole-in-the-wall tea restaurant in Wan Chai or Causeway. Having requalify for Glob, last thing I want for breakfast is more eggs and meat or cereal. The Asian breakfast offerings are usually better outside the hotels. I realize different guests have different requirements.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:28 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
Regarding eggs at the Grand Club - just ask. The team at the Grand Club are so good that I’m sure there aren’t a lot of things they will say no to.
I did ask one of the longstanding excellent team members of the Grand Club for the eggs benedict which was never a problem before. He did go and check and reverted to say that it is now chargeable as they would have to order via room service. Hence why I said in my post above that I asked for a one poached egg which duly arrived on its own on a plate.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
this property has the best lounge i have experienced so far. the evening cocktail was amazing, ambience boosted by high ceiling marble floors
Old Dec 31, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome lounge, excellent service. The place is obviously at capacity with new year crowd but they opened several meeting rooms and set up food and drinks stations as well as kids play room. Food spread is of excellent quality with ruinart flowing.
I recall lines at conrad when they had to turn people away from lounge - no such thing here.
View from GH is definitely better even with construction directly below.
My suite ressie was extended by one night booked with a cert even with full occupancy with fruits, wine and chocolate waiting in the room and movie and ice cream vouchers given to kids. ^^
Waiting for the fireworks now...
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Just back from my first visit in a few years and was prepared to be disappointed based on other comments, but was actually quite impressed. The champagne in the club was great and the evening spread quite high quality. Although I had an early flight and couldn’t sample breakfast in the lounge they Allowed me to take my globalist breakfast from room service for free.
Above and beyond my expectations; may need to plan another trip.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:26 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Just back from my first visit in a few years and was prepared to be disappointed based on other comments, but was actually quite impressed. The champagne in the club was great and the evening spread quite high quality. Although I had an early flight and couldn’t sample breakfast in the lounge they Allowed me to take my globalist breakfast from room service for free.
Above and beyond my expectations; may need to plan another trip.
Don't let the posts fool you. We're really complaining how GH HK used to be better than 97% of the Hyatt chain but is now only better than 95% of it.
nightkhan likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by azepine00
Awesome lounge, excellent service. The place is obviously at capacity with new year crowd but they opened several meeting rooms and set up food and drinks stations as well as kids play room. Food spread is of excellent quality with ruinart flowing.
I recall lines at conrad when they had to turn people away from lounge - no such thing here.
View from GH is definitely better even with construction directly below.
My suite ressie was extended by one night booked with a cert even with full occupancy with fruits, wine and chocolate waiting in the room and movie and ice cream vouchers given to kids. ^^
Waiting for the fireworks now...
photos please! Of the fireworks from your room.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
I have a 3 night stay booked here for next week. We've been to Hong Kong many times, but always stayed on Kowloon side, this is our first time staying on the Island side and we chose Grand Hyatt for various reasons.

My question is if anyone can please give me more details about the Spa, if anyone has used it and what their experience has been getting a massage or other spa service(s). We have had excellent experience at the Spa at the other hotel where we stayed in the past and wanted to know if anyone has firsthand experience with the Spa at the Grand Hyatt.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2018, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by friedablass
I have a 3 night stay booked here for next week. We've been to Hong Kong many times, but always stayed on Kowloon side, this is our first time staying on the Island side and we chose Grand Hyatt for various reasons.

My question is if anyone can please give me more details about the Spa, if anyone has used it and what their experience has been getting a massage or other spa service(s). We have had excellent experience at the Spa at the other hotel where we stayed in the past and wanted to know if anyone has firsthand experience with the Spa at the Grand Hyatt.

Thanks!
Mongolian therapists with strong pressure. Fairly modern treatment rooms too. Directly faces construction so might be better to do treatments at night?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tokyoite

photos please! Of the fireworks from your room.
dont have decent pics - TV was on and i ended up with quite a bit of reflection and glare in the window but the view from mid level -10 suite was very good - 3 out out 5 barges were directly in front and a couple more were partially obstructed by convention center.
It was probably even better from the lounge which stayed open...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.