Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 6:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The best way to get to Wanchai MTR is to exit the GH up one floor from the lobby, via the exit to the convention center. Walk straight across the convention center entrance roadway and in the door on the other side, continuing straight ahead. This gets you to the walkway entirely indoors and you don't have to cross any streets.
Coathanger, nightkhan and Aventine like this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Central90210
Most if not all cab drivers will either (rudely) decline or quietly berate the passenger for short distance travels (less than 3km), especially if they have been in line for a while at a hotel, unless the GH bell staff is very firm and insistent.

Best go for Uber in such or even all cases.
Is Uber remaining in Hong Kong? They are being subsumed April 8 by Grab everywhere else it seems.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by vudoosj
I took a red taxi from GH to Peak Tram in Central just yesterday so that was <3km. Paid the 24HKD. Had no issue with the driver but he did spend the whole time talking on phone in Cantonese. Maybe he was complaining about us
At least you were not ripped off by the driver! There was once a Swiss tourist being charged HK$3000 for the ride between the airport and W, or HK$300 between Central LKF and ISL.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Is Uber remaining in Hong Kong? They are being subsumed April 8 by Grab everywhere else it seems.
There’s a message on the Uber HK app that HK operations are unaffected by the Grab buyout happening in SE Asia.
​​​​​
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The best way to get to Wanchai MTR is to exit the GH up one floor from the lobby, via the exit to the convention center. Walk straight across the convention center entrance roadway and in the door on the other side, continuing straight ahead. This gets you to the walkway entirely indoors and you don't have to cross any streets.
With the convention center constantly being such a zoo that necessitates crowd control measures, I try to avoid going through the convention center by taking the slightly longer scenic/ tranquil route of walking from the Hyatt to Renaissance along the pool on the 11th floor, and then taking the Renaissance lifts down to convention center level and enter the walkway.

Or if I’m time constrained, I would just exit the hotel from the main lobby, cross Harbour Road, make a diagonal across the government offices and then join the walkway to the MTR Station. This cuts your traveling time by about 5 minutes.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Central90210
There’s a message on the Uber HK app that HK operations are unaffected by the Grab buyout happening in SE Asia.
​​
Thank you, that's good to know.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
GH Hong Kong or HR TST (Vacation with Mother) Please help!

I’m really torn about Hyatt lodging for my upcoming October six-night Hong Kong stay and I’m looking for strong opinions on which Hyatt to stay in, please!

I’m a Globalist so I’ll have lounge access. Price isn’t a strong factor. I’m using points and a suite upgrade, so I’m looking at a high floor Harbor View Suite at the Hyatt Regency or a Grand Executive Harbor Suite at the Grand Hyatt (this is a premium suite but I’ll try to coordinate this room in advance like I did last time.)

I’m traveling from CA with my 74-year-old mother, who is fine walking. This trip is strictly vacation to explore the city. We’ll also do a day trip to Macau. We have no major plans for this trip except to sightsee, explore local reasonably priced food, and walk around…and we will take public transit most of the time. We also plan to relax at the hotel lounge and pool.

I’m seriously torn between these two property locations, despite reading reviews about both. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 3 nights in 2016 and I was blown away by the room, view, lounge, and pool. At the time, I was traveling with a friend my age so our longer walk to transit wasn’t a factor. This factor is what led me to consider the Hyatt Regency TST for my mom, though. I've never stayed here and I've never been to that area....my time there was limited last time because I got sick.

I really do value the hotel room, view, and amenities like the lounge at the Grand Hyatt, but I also want convenance for my mom since we'll be walking around a lot exploring. Is either the Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency TST truly a better property to stay at this time with my mom while touring the city? Will I regret staying at the Hyatt Regency TST after experiencing and loving the Grand Hyatt?

I’ll be on top of replies and I appreciate them all…this topic means a lot to me and I want this to be an incredible experience for my mother.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Grand Hyatt

I was at the GH around the same time as you and had a great experience. I've never been to the Hyatt Regency. I was there with two elderly parents and they LOVED it. Lounge, suite, view, etc. There was 6 of us so we took UberXL everywhere. It was great. $15 gets you almost anywhere in Hong Kong with Uber if I'm not wrong. You can do a couple fare estimates if you want. So if it was my decision I'd go GH.

Last edited by Braswch; Aug 25, 2018 at 1:10 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Braswch
I was at the GH around the same time as you and had a great experience. I've never been to the Hyatt Regency. I was there with two elderly parents and they LOVED it. Lounge, suite, view, etc. There was 6 of us so we took UberXL everywhere. It was great. $15 gets you almost anywhere in Hong Kong with Uner if I'm not wrong. You can do a couple fare estimates if you want. So if it was my decision I'd got GH.

It's nice to hear this from somebody else, and to hear that the location wasn't a big hinderance...thank you!

I think I figured (without doing much research) that there'd be much more right at our doorstep that we can walk outside and experience by staying at the Hyatt Regency TST, though I can't quite tell if that's an accurate thought by reading reviews. I'm curious to hear opinions about that too.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:14 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
We never walked out of the hotel to go to anywhere with the elderly parents. We took uber everywhere. I did walk with my kids some places, but as you know there isn't a whole whole lot within a short walking distance. I think your mom would prefer uber over public transportation I assume. If you weren't tied to Hyatt perhaps you could have the best of both worlds somewhere but you'd probably have to pay a whole lot more.

Last edited by Braswch; Aug 25, 2018 at 1:27 pm
Old Aug 25, 2018, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Braswch
We never walked out of the hotel go to anywhere with the elderly parents. We took uber everywhere. I did walk with my kids some places, but as you know there isn't a whole whole lot withing a short walking distance. I think your mom would prefer uber over public transportation I assume. If you weren't tied to Hyatt perhaps you could have the best of both worlds somewhere but you'd probably have to pay a whole lot more.

I hear ya...I'm definitely loyal to Hyatt, occasionally to my disadvantage with locations!
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by baser1000
I’m really torn about Hyatt lodging for my upcoming October six-night Hong Kong stay and I’m looking for strong opinions on which Hyatt to stay in, please!

I’m a Globalist so I’ll have lounge access. Price isn’t a strong factor. I’m using points and a suite upgrade, so I’m looking at a high floor Harbor View Suite at the Hyatt Regency or a Grand Executive Harbor Suite at the Grand Hyatt (this is a premium suite but I’ll try to coordinate this room in advance like I did last time.)

I’m traveling from CA with my 74-year-old mother, who is fine walking. This trip is strictly vacation to explore the city. We’ll also do a day trip to Macau. We have no major plans for this trip except to sightsee, explore local reasonably priced food, and walk around…and we will take public transit most of the time. We also plan to relax at the hotel lounge and pool.

I’m seriously torn between these two property locations, despite reading reviews about both. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt for 3 nights in 2016 and I was blown away by the room, view, lounge, and pool. At the time, I was traveling with a friend my age so our longer walk to transit wasn’t a factor. This factor is what led me to consider the Hyatt Regency TST for my mom, though. I've never stayed here and I've never been to that area....my time there was limited last time because I got sick.

I really do value the hotel room, view, and amenities like the lounge at the Grand Hyatt, but I also want convenance for my mom since we'll be walking around a lot exploring. Is either the Grand Hyatt or Hyatt Regency TST truly a better property to stay at this time with my mom while touring the city? Will I regret staying at the Hyatt Regency TST after experiencing and loving the Grand Hyatt?

I’ll be on top of replies and I appreciate them all…this topic means a lot to me and I want this to be an incredible experience for my mother.
I would definitely go with Grand Hyatt to impress your mother. That HR isn't bad but doesn't have the wow factor like GH does.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Grand Hyatt. You said walking wasn’t an issue, so that means the MTR is doable, although taking an Uber or taxi is better from this hotel. The service, lounge, and overall luxury is just better compared to the regency TST.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 10:29 am

Is it the grand suite if you were to apply a TSU here? I went back a few posts and saw someone applied their tsu to a grand suite, but wanted to double check.

Thank you.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Is it the grand suite if you were to apply a TSU here? I went back a few posts and saw someone applied their tsu to a grand suite, but wanted to double check.

Thank you.
Yes, Grand Suite.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey

Thank you.
What is TSU?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zack14
What is TSU?
Tier Suite Upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.