Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Well this was interesting.

First - renovations are nice. Dark tones are good. I was told all suites are completed and they are beautiful.

Service was great.

Now for the odd.

The lounge is nice. Interesting policy I don’t recall is allowing kids under 12 in the lounge during cocktail hour. Just had 2 things happen.

1) child throwing plates knocking drinks over and running around. When I asked the lounge attendent he moved me (was working on a new mbp really didn’t want a plate to end up thru the screen).

2) later a young girl started vomiting several times. With no attempts by parents to move her to a bathroom one table over from me.

Not to stir the kids pot but geez this isn’t intended to be a family resort hotel from what I can tell - the Lounge is extreamly elegant and the poor attendant was not empowered to ask the family with the sick girl to leave (even while she continued vomit) the attendent apologized profusely but the lounge management downstairs appeared to not really care about either situation.

Anyways - odd i am cursed with children around. Just shocked in both situations the families were allowed to stay?

Last edited by footastic; Jan 5, 2018 at 3:21 am
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The vomiting is a potential health crisis in itself. I'm surprised the GC manager or attendants would let that and the plate thrower continue to trash the lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Aventine
The vomiting is a potential health crisis in itself. I'm surprised the GC manager or attendants would let that and the plate thrower continue to trash the lounge.
the attendent is actually amazing I just wish he could boot some of these people. He just brought me a bottle of ruinart for the room as an apology.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by footastic

the attendent is actually amazing I just wish he could boot some of these people. He just brought me a bottle of ruinart for the room as an apology.
They might be hotel club members? OR badly behaved tourists?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They might be hotel club members? OR badly behaved tourists?
i assume they are guests as the mother was marvelling at the view asking for bottles to take away. Very odd
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i assume they are guests as the mother was marvelling at the view asking for bottles to take away. Very odd
Just one of those SMH moments...
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just one of those SMH moments...
it’s okay. It is a SMH moment. Assistant manager from lounge just explained that the family with the vomiting child was an explorisit using a mechanism and they had no options. So apparently explorisit>CC To GHHK and WOH time to move to the peninsula.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:21 am

"explorist using a mechanism"? What is a mechanism? A new benefit?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:34 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
"explorist using a mechanism"? What is a mechanism? A new benefit?
Club Upgrade cert.

I hate to say this but when on property, status doesn't make you more important than another guest when issues like this arise. They aren't going to make a lower member check out because of a higher member complaint. Benefits, upgrades etc. do apply but in reality in these situations it makes no difference.

That said, someone vomiting in an area serving F&B is a serious health contamination concern and I would expect them to be asked to leave and offered other assistance while a full clean of the area was conducted. I would probably leave the lounge myself in disgust.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Club Upgrade cert.

I hate to say this but when on property, status doesn't make you more important than another guest when issues like this arise. They aren't going to make a lower member check out because of a higher member complaint. Benefits, upgrades etc. do apply but in reality in these situations it makes no difference.

That said, someone vomiting in an area serving F&B is a serious health contamination concern and I would expect them to be asked to leave and offered other assistance while a full clean of the area was conducted. I would probably leave the lounge myself in disgust.
I'm with you there.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
when on property, status doesn't make you more important than another guest
^
This is excellent advice, especially to those getting comped club access. Everyone entitled to club access should have equal priority, whether it is a Glob or a CC or an Explorist using a "mechanism" (I've heard of upgrade instruments, but mechanism is a first), or someone actually paying for it.

It would also be nice if some people would remember that the lounge is not a business center, especially during the busy breakfast and evening cocktail times. While I dislike children in the lounge, I even more dislike fools who bring in their computer to the lounge and occupy a table for 4 as their personal office space for 3 hours during those times while others are trying to find a place to sit.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:54 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
^
This is excellent advice, especially to those getting comped club access. Everyone entitled to club access should have equal priority, whether it is a Glob or a CC or an Explorist using a "mechanism" (I've heard of upgrade instruments, but mechanism is a first), or someone actually paying for it.

It would also be nice if some people would remember that the lounge is not a business center, especially during the busy breakfast and evening cocktail times. While I dislike children in the lounge, I even more dislike fools who bring in their computer to the lounge and occupy a table for 4 as their personal office space for 3 hours during those times while others are trying to find a place to sit.
Not just the lounge but the whole property.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Club Upgrade cert.

I hate to say this but when on property, status doesn't make you more important than another guest when issues like this arise.
Exactly, what disturbed me was the excuse by management was the other guests had status allowing them to be in the area as well. Not that I was hoping my status would bump them out. In fact the entire “explorisit with a mechanism” were words used by management when I asked if they needed to close the area of the lounge to sanitise. My personal status never came up. Several others in the lounge got the same chat and were visably upset. My CC<explorerist comment was my inner monologue during the conversation. If you come to me mentioning status and loyaltiy as a factor for others bad behaviour it doesn’t make logical sense.

Last edited by footastic; Jan 5, 2018 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 3:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
^
the incident with the child throwing plates requiring housekeeping happened about 45 minutes before cocktail hour started (no food out and only wine/beer out) as I was wrapping up Work for the day - would never keep a large table during this time for only myself - much less keep my laptop out. The lounge is typically empty between 3-4:45 and is absolutely a great place to get some work done while mobile. I have always thought of it as the perk of the lounge is basically having a large living room that I am able to enjoy and work in. In all honesty just having a toddler break glassss and knock over some wine with plates is a kid being a kid, but combined with the vomit and having listened to Scott the attendent in the area it sounds like serious health and safety issues including food and fire have been caused due to young ones in the area during cocktail times (ie grabbing food with hands, knocking lit candles over, coughing on food and advising us to wear a mask in the lounge due to all the sick kids) then having a kid changed on a table directly next to me just is disturbing. Maybe I need to have kids to appreciate the nuance of dirty diaper with my canapés.

I'm sorry I just think the GH SIN has a better policy that prevents situations like this. I have invited potential clients to lounges to discuss or kick off a project on numerous occasions and this was the first time it would have been a negative impact.

Last edited by footastic; Jan 5, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

the incident with the child throwing plates requiring housekeeping happened about 45 minutes before cocktail hour started (no food out and only wine/beer out) as I was wrapping up Work for the day - would never keep a large table during this time for only myself - much less keep my laptop out. The lounge is typically empty between 3-4:45 and is absolutely a great place to get some work done while mobile. I have always thought of it as the perk of the lounge is basically having a large living room that I am able to enjoy and work in. In all honesty just having a toddler break glassss and knock over some wine with plates is a kid being a kid, but combined with the vomit and having listened to Scott the attendent in the area it sounds like serious health and safety issues including food and fire have been caused due to young ones in the area during cocktail times (ie grabbing food with hands, knocking lit candles over, coughing on food and advising us to wear a mask in the lounge due to all the sick kids) then having a kid changed on a table directly next to me just is disturbing. Maybe I need to have kids to appreciate the nuance of dirty diaper with my canapés.

I'm sorry I just think the GH SIN has a better policy that prevents situations like this. I have invited potential clients to lounges to discuss or kick off a project on numerous occasions and this was the first time it would have been a negative impact.
Unfortunately, kids are little princes and princesses here in Asia. Parents won't tell them off and a hotel employee won't risk their job to do it either. The best lounges will have a small separate kids play area and maybe some kids amenities too.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 5, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.