Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:11 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
After avoiding this place due to pricing for a while (and due to not being a fan of the more bland aesthetic of GHs and HRs), I'll be staying here for a 4 night stay overlapping my birthday checking in today. I made the reservation a few hours before arrival — hopefully that doesn't prevent them from making an effort to give me a good room. No Grand Suites available but every other room category is.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:44 am

The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge.
What is the current charge for this? Not listed on the website.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Curious if others tip the lounge staff, any views on this? If tipping, how do you do so... on a individual basis or for the whole team?

Thanks!
Generally, I won't tip, except during a particularly long stay where we were there at the lounge daily and really received impeccable service. What triggered my tip was because some of the staff alternated their scheduled day off to work on the day of our scheduled departure. It's small personal touches like this I appreciate; if some of the staff hadn't made this effort, I probably wouldn't have tipped. I just tried to as discreetly as possible pass the tip to the lounge Manager and said it was for taking his staff out for some tea.

While I can appreciate guest experiences vary greatly, I've always been completely satisfied with my stays here; and, probably more so than any other property in the Hyatt portfolio.
luvFclass and 59Impala like this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
What is the current charge for this? Not listed on the website.
This is no longer available (at least not affiliated with the hotel) - updated the wiki.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Birthday at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

1 Harbour Road Hong Kong, HK

Birthday at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong (12 Photos)

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

Just checkout of a stay at the Grand Hyatt HK and … color me impressed. I usually hate generic large conference hotels, but this one is a major exception.

The location is extremely convenient to the convention center, and it gets a ton of the convention crowds. I was actually attending RISE so for once, that was a plus, though boring people in lanyards aren't exactly the most epic scene. But, moving past this, my experience at the hotel was excellent.

The views are pretty much the best in HK (perhaps the IC is better but good luck getting a room with a view there, they don't care one bit about my Spire Amb status). Service for the most part goes above and beyond, though they are quite strict about following their policies.

I booked day of arrival and they were sold out of standard suites, so I was given a lovely club level view room. The stay overlapped by birthday, so the room had Happy Birthday written in letter balloons in the room. At this point I'm a bit bummed not to have a suite (not to be upgraded to one of the premium ones) but overall happy and not expecting anything crazy. But 10min after getting to my room, I get a call from the club telling me they were able to find me a suite and that they'd move me over in a few hours after the Globalist who had it checked out. The new suite was also all decked out in balloons and had a small birthday cake waiting.

When the day came to check-out, I was flying out on a midnight redeye, and while they couldn't give me a check-out time beyond 4pm since a paying guest needed the suite, they proactively offered me another room to use after 4pm. They got the room right next to my suite (2611) and moved my luggage over for me.

The club lounge is fantastic, with great views of the harbor and a solid spread with both quality and quantity. In the evenings from 5:30-7:30, The staff will make drinks for you, while the food is a self-serve buffet consisting of a few hot plates and a cold buffet. The cold buffet is very comprehensive. Breakfast has a buffet + 3 a-la-carte dishes, and they can make any standard breakfast dishes too. The menu rotates on a 3 day schedule so we didn't get bored.

I got charged 825 HKD to bring one extra guest / meeting to the club lounge on day of check-in. Definitely the most I've ever paid for a single beer. Probably the low-light of the stay.

IMG_2625.jpgIMG_2624.jpgIMG_2623.jpgIMG_2622.jpgIMG_2621.jpgIMG_2620.jpgIMG_2612.jpgIMG_2700.jpg

Service

I'm not the first person to mention this, but the service at the club lounge is fantastic. One person in particular stands out: Scott. He's the life of the party, the one good natured person who puts a smile on everyone's face. The rest of the staff was mostly great too.

Dining

I ate a dinner at Kaetsu, their Japanese fine dining restaurant. The food was good, but nothing special. The service was very slow. The prices were atrocious. (Bill came to 5000HKD for 4 people's meals + a single bottle of sake.)

IMG_2626.jpg

Room (pre upgrade)

Including pictures of the room before they upgraded me to the suite.IMG_2611.jpgIMG_2608.jpgIMG_2605.jpg

Birthday at the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong

Would you like to write a review on the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

They really know how to put on a birthday welcome!
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:10 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Grand Club lounge

I've been a couple of times on business trips to the GH Hong Kong in the mid- to late 90's. It was truly my favorite hotel. Loved the lounge, which was simply outstanding. Atmosphere and quality, calm, classy, dignified.
I was there on a private trip around 2004.

I wanted to show my wife around Hong Kong and enjoy the GH with it's lounge. 15 years after my last stay, the club has been renovated. I honestly was a bit disappointed. Not because it has changed, but it somehow has lost the glamour. The staircase is different, it all seems a bit cluttered. Lounge was crowded upon our arrival. It was difficult to find a table. loud.

Offerings were still very good, both evenings and for breakfast. SInce we had booked a Suite, we were entitled to the breakfast buffet in the restaurant as well, which we tried out one morning, But returned to the lounge for the remaining 2 days, as the variety was sufficient for our needs.

Service in the lounge was still very good, and as others have noted as well, Scott is really fantastic. Had a discussion on the renovated lounge and he too found the "old" lounge to be classier.

Too bad for the lounge in my view, but overall the hotel is still great.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jul 23, 2019 at 9:21 am
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:50 am

Booked through Hyatt Prive. Some quirks at check in:

- was given 4pm late check out, then called to my room to tell me actually 1pm

- was upgraded to a “club level room” on floor 32. Just found out that club room does not give you club access. Normal?

- was told the credit was per day, then was called and told it was per stay.

Overall a very nice room. Was excited for club upgrade then let down when I wasn’t allowed in club. A little disorganized I think?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dval44
Booked through Hyatt Prive. Some quirks at check in:

- was given 4pm late check out, then called to my room to tell me actually 1pm

- was upgraded to a “club level room” on floor 32. Just found out that club room does not give you club access. Normal?

- was told the credit was per day, then was called and told it was per stay.

Overall a very nice room. Was excited for club upgrade then let down when I wasn’t allowed in club. A little disorganized I think?
Club level room only means a high floor as an upgrade. Being upgraded into a Club room does not grant access. Only when booking one.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 1:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I've been a couple of times on business trips to the GH Hong Kong in the mid- to late 90's. It was truly my favorite hotel. Loved the lounge, which was simply outstanding. Atmosphere and quality, calm, classy, dignified.
I was there on a private trip around 2004.

I wanted to show my wife around Hong Kong and enjoy the GH with it's lounge. 15 years after my last stay, the club has been renovated. I honestly was a bit disappointed. Not because it has changed, but it somehow has lost the glamour. The staircase is different, it all seems a bit cluttered. Lounge was crowded upon our arrival. It was difficult to find a table. loud.

Offerings were still very good, both evenings and for breakfast. SInce we had booked a Suite, we were entitled to the breakfast buffet in the restaurant as well, which we tried out one morning, But returned to the lounge for the remaining 2 days, as the variety was sufficient for our needs.

Service in the lounge was still very good, and as others have noted as well, Scott is really fantastic. Had a discussion on the renovated lounge and he too found the "old" lounge to be classier.

Too bad for the lounge in my view, but overall the hotel is still great.
Couldn’t agree more regarding the lounge. I felt I was in the minority preferring the old lounge decor.
59Impala likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:26 am

Stayed here over the weekend and couldn’t stop playing with the electric blinds while I was trying to make a video of it going up while I filmed the entire room. The gym and pool access was also great. There was a book fair at the convention center and there were a lot of road blocks and I had trouble crossing the street to get to the Great Eagle Center to meet someone. Took me 15 mins getting lost due to poor gps reception in Hk.

On a side note, I think I also left a couple of nice shirts worth $200 hung in the closet. What are the chances they’ll send it to me all the way in the US if it’s found?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 3:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by fly2
On a side note, I think I also left a couple of nice shirts worth $200 hung in the closet. What are the chances they’ll send it to me all the way in the US if it’s found?
You should call them to ask. If they are foldable, I don’t think it would cost too much over slow mail (I seem to get stuff shipped to me from HK and China in about 2-3 weeks when I order from eBay.)
Old Jul 24, 2019, 5:53 pm

One thing I'm not so thrilled about is how they all are pretty openly soliciting good reviews. Makes it feel less genuine. Several of the club staff asked me for tripadvisor reviews, repeatedly. I even got a follow-up email from the club lounge desk asking me to review them on the Hyatt system a week after check-out. Come on people…
59Impala likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 7:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by fly2

Absolutely routine thing for a hotel to do, just get in touch and perhaps fill out a credit card authorization form so they can charge you shipping.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 4:10 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by helvetic
One thing I'm not so thrilled about is how they all are pretty openly soliciting good reviews. Makes it feel less genuine. Several of the club staff asked me for tripadvisor reviews, repeatedly. I even got a follow-up email from the club lounge desk asking me to review them on the Hyatt system a week after check-out. Come on people…
It’s because they get a bonus or some sort of recognition if they are individually named in the review. I believe this is standard for hotel chains now but of a staff member asked me to do this it would absolutely incline me not to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.