Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:58 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I will try the new Centric next week I think as trying to use an expiring certificate.
How was your stay at Centric and how does it compare to GH? What price premium for GH would you say is reasonable over Centric in light of your experience?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by luvFclass
Nope did not work as email bounced back. No worries, as I will contact PH SGN hotel directly as I get closer to my 2020 stay.

Thanks though.

LFC
Try Timothy rather than Tim.
MSPeconomist and luvFclass like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:10 pm

RE: location

When heading towards TST, I generally walk through the convention center for the Star Ferry. That longer or shorter than 1/2 mile? For places on Central, I'll just take a cab.
RichardInSF and Kacee like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:16 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by escape4
How was your stay at Centric and how does it compare to GH? What price premium for GH would you say is reasonable over Centric in light of your experience?
Not OP but I spend significant time at the Centric. It's fantastic.

Price: GH is consistently 2x the price as Centric
Location: GH is closer to Central, but not easily connected to transportation. 10min walk to MTR, hard to get a cab. Centric is right on top of MTR on the Island line but about 10min further down the line than GH. Hard to get a cab at hotel, but easier on Java Rd in front.
Hardware: GH older but well maintained, very nice. Centric brand new and modern, very nice, but most rooms are smaller and far less luxurious
Views: Both have great harbor views, but GH's are prettier from being more central on the hardbor.
Lounge: GH is excellent, Centric is solid
On-site F&B: far better at the Centric. GH's full of overpriced crappy bars/restaurants. Centric's Cruise rooftop restaurant & bar is great.

Depends what level of luxury you want, and how much you care about location. I'm perfectly comfortable at the Centric and see little reason to pay a premium at the GH.
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Visconti
RE: location

When heading towards TST, I generally walk through the convention center for the Star Ferry. That longer or shorter than 1/2 mile? For places on Central, I'll just take a cab.
It's definitely closer than the subway station, but this trek is highly contingent upon route optimization (and quite possibly longer than 1/2 mile if you are over reliant on Google...their walking directions will never send you through the convention center, for example).
Old Nov 15, 2019, 4:27 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
It's definitely closer than the subway station, but this trek is highly contingent upon route optimization (and quite possibly longer than 1/2 mile if you are over reliant on Google...their walking directions will never send you through the convention center, for example).
That's terrible. I always get off the lift at the mezzanine level and walk that way to and through the convention center to get to either the MTR, trams, or Star Ferry..
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by helvetic
Not OP but I spend significant time at the Centric. It's fantastic.

Price: GH is consistently 2x the price as Centric
Location: GH is closer to Central, but not easily connected to transportation. 10min walk to MTR, hard to get a cab. Centric is right on top of MTR on the Island line but about 10min further down the line than GH. Hard to get a cab at hotel, but easier on Java Rd in front.
Hardware: GH older but well maintained, very nice. Centric brand new and modern, very nice, but most rooms are smaller and far less luxurious
Views: Both have great harbor views, but GH's are prettier from being more central on the hardbor.
Lounge: GH is excellent, Centric is solid
On-site F&B: far better at the Centric. GH's full of overpriced crappy bars/restaurants. Centric's Cruise rooftop restaurant & bar is great.

Depends what level of luxury you want, and how much you care about location. I'm perfectly comfortable at the Centric and see little reason to pay a premium at the GH.
Thank you for the comparison!

I don't care much about location for HKG (unlike other cities) and have stayed in Sha Tin before so I am unlikely to be bothered by GH vs Centric since location will be 100 times better in either case

I care about hardware, level of luxury, new/modern, odds of suite upgrades (= I value extra space), and good lounge. Sounds like GH wins on luxury and lounge but Centric wins from being newer and better price. Centric has small rooms and does not seem to have many suites - are odds of suite upgrades significantly better at GH as Globalist? If so that can justify paying a premium because I could end up in a room 2-3 times bigger at GH than at Centric.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:43 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Thank you for the comparison!

I don't care much about location for HKG (unlike other cities) and have stayed in Sha Tin before so I am unlikely to be bothered by GH vs Centric since location will be 100 times better in either case

I care about hardware, level of luxury, new/modern, odds of suite upgrades (= I value extra space), and good lounge. Sounds like GH wins on luxury and lounge but Centric wins from being newer and better price. Centric has small rooms and does not seem to have many suites - are odds of suite upgrades significantly better at GH as Globalist? If so that can justify paying a premium because I could end up in a room 2-3 times bigger at GH than at Centric.
Helvetic is a big fan of the Centric apparently, but many others (including me) are not. I wrote a lengthy review of the Centric (along with a comparison to HR TST) here (scroll up and down for some other posts). IMO, the Centric is a miserable hotel with a mediocre lounge, only a handful of suites (which you're unlikely to get as a free upgrade, and even DSU usually can't be applied), and terrible sleep quality due to freeway noise. It's my least favorite Hyatt in HK, and even at a rate of HKD600, I have no intention of ever returning.
escape4 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Centric has small rooms and does not seem to have many suites - are odds of suite upgrades significantly better at GH as Globalist?
I haven't stayed at the Centric before but consisently get upgraded to suites at the GH, if that helps.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Hydro88
I haven't stayed at the Centric before but consisently get upgraded to suites at the GH, if that helps.
Yes this helps, thank you! A hotel with a probability of suite upgrade is worth significantly more than a hotel with low odds and can justify paying 2x for it at least for my purposes ^
Old Nov 15, 2019, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
Helvetic is a big fan of the Centric apparently, but many others (including me) are not. I wrote a lengthy review of the Centric (along with a comparison to HR TST) here (scroll up and down for some other posts). IMO, the Centric is a miserable hotel with a mediocre lounge, only a handful of suites (which you're unlikely to get as a free upgrade, and even DSU usually can't be applied), and terrible sleep quality due to freeway noise. It's my least favorite Hyatt in HK, and even at a rate of HKD600, I have no intention of ever returning.
Thanks for the detailed comparison, I had not seen it because I was not considering the HR TST so I did not read that thread. ^ It makes me lean a bit more towards paying extra for GH rather than lesser alternatives, particularly if rates stay low due to protests it seems the premium required for better hotels is lower than normal so luxury comes at a discount in HK nowadays.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
The GH is a top 5 Hyatt in Asia (or perhaps globally).

The Centric feels like a Place compared to its Tokyo sibling. It was the only hotel where I literally bumped myself in the corridor, it was that tight. Have done multiple stays in both the presidential and standard suites. Thanks but no thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
The GH is a top 5 Hyatt in Asia (or perhaps globally).

The Centric feels like a Place compared to its Tokyo sibling. It was the only hotel where I literally bumped myself in the corridor, it was that tight. Have done multiple stays in both the presidential and standard suites. Thanks but no thanks.
Top 5? I doubt it:

PH Tokyo
Andaz Tokyo
GH ICN
PH Seoul
PH Kyoto
Andaz Singapore
GH Bali
PH Shanghai
Andaz Shanghai

.....just to name some I know off the top of my head.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:40 am

I'm guessing it's been mentioned somewhere in this long thread, and perhaps in the wikipost, but the Club at the Hyatt (this might not be the exact name) can be a worthwhile investment for those that stay/eat at the GH fairly often. I'm not sure what the current list or discounted price is, but in the past, it's been around HKD 5000 per year, which entitles cardholders to pretty significant discounts on F&B (as much as 50% if you game it properly). Although the target is the local market, I believe it also pulls some weight wrt room upgrades and the like. In any event, a lot of the restaurants that people are poo pooing for being overrated are much more attractive after you knock down their prices by a solid amount.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Top 5? I doubt it:

PH Tokyo
Andaz Tokyo
GH ICN
PH Seoul
PH Kyoto
Andaz Singapore
GH Bali
PH Shanghai
Andaz Shanghai

.....just to name some I know off the top of my head.
Agreed although I did not stay at the GH ICN, the PH Kyoto (i'm willing to bet this is better though) and I was really disappointed with the PH Seoul. I agree with all the other selections. To that list I would add that I believe the PH Beijing and PH Hangzhou are better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.