Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:19 am

Time Will Tell

Originally Posted by peteropny

My 2 cents about idainc's e-mail to the GHHK. I'm not sure what his e-mail to the hotel said, whether he was asking for an immediate confirmation to get a room preblocked for an upgrade to Grand Club floor or just inquiring about the stated policy. The response may have been somewhat appropriate if he was asking for immediate confirmation but should have stated that he/she would be upgraded if available on check-in. If he/she was just inquiring about the policy, the response was totally inappropriate.
These are my thoughts exactly. I would be surprised if a hotel agreed to pre block a GC/RC room weeks ahead if you are not paying the prevailing GC/RC rate. This is no real difference than asking ahead of time for a gratis suite upgrade when you are only paying for a standard room. You can ask, but don’t hold your breath.

The response letter appears to infer that Diamonds will not be upgraded to GC/RC without paying for it, but time will tell on how the international properties decide to follow/interpret the new rule. My main concern is that from my experiences the international properties have always been more slack than the NA properties when it comes to knowing/following the GP T&Cs.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:16 pm

My email was an enquiry to determine whether and how the hotel was going to pursue the policy. It was not a request to attempt to get the upgrade in place in advance. To the contrary, if they came back and said that I would get the upgrade if space was available it would have left me with a warmer feeling. As has been discussed - it seems that hotels are taking the opportunity to misinterpret the policy and omit the “ if space is available “ portion in lieu of an attempt for a higher room rate.

I would not have wanted to rely on the posted policy and arrived at the hotel in the middle of the night with a guaranteed reservation to find out they were not honoring the published policy. That was the express purpose.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:19 am
Original Member

Programs: UAL, Hyatt, Hilton, Shangri-La
Smile Grand Hong Kong

Dear Hyatt FT members

I have been a member since May 98. I have contributed (if you can call me meager 100+ posts compared to some of you with 1000 & 2000+ contributing) but have always valued the information. After a long time of reading all your posts and personal opinions, I was finally able to visit Hong Kong and took your advice and stayed at the Grand Hyatt. All your posts over the years are absolutely true. This is an awesome hotel and I can say the nicest I have ever stayed. Service is impeccable and the Grand Club Lounge is incredible (although I feel underdressed without a full suit and tie, I hate that).

Just wanted to relay my appreciation to you all and say thank you!

Now that I have done the important part, I have a question. The pool at Hyatt is huge. I was very surprised. Is it new since the Plateau opened? Is the pool part of the Renaissance Harbor View Hotel? The reason I ask is because when I would get a towel and sign my name and room number, I had to check which hotel I was in.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 3:25 am

Pool is shared with the Renaissance Harbor View. Same is true for the health club of the Grand Hyatt.
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:10 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
And if you liked the GH HK try the GH Tokyo. I think it is better.
Old Oct 4, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Has anybody stayed in a Plateau room? Which rooms do have harbour view?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. Latest feeling on treatment of Ds. Thanks.

Would appreciate all comments on the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. We will be staying at the Hotel on FFNs. What treatment can we expect as Diamonds? Any chance of upgrade to Club level given the new rules on access? Will a suite upgrade coupon do any good? Can we "buy" to get Lounge acceess? How would you play it? Any and all information appreciated. Comments will determine if we keep our reservations. Thanks.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Would appreciate all comments on the Grand Hyatt Hong Kong. We will be staying at the Hotel on FFNs. What treatment can we expect as Diamonds? Any chance of upgrade to Club level given the new rules on access? Will a suite upgrade coupon do any good? Can we "buy" to get Lounge acceess? How would you play it? Any and all information appreciated. Comments will determine if we keep our reservations. Thanks.
Answers in the order of questions:

1. Minimal treatment - expect at most an "upgrade" to an harbour view room. Personally I don't consider views as tangible upgrades. Expect continental breakfast that's provided to all GP members.
2. No. Absolutely NONE before and DEFINITELY NOT after that change.
3. No.
4. Yes. In fact, the hotel is happy to "confirm" Grand Club at $500HK/night right away for you. It's what they eventually want to push you to do. I believe the hotel gets reimbursed about $450HK/night for GP award stays.
5. If GC is important to you, then pay up. If not, don't stress on whether you'll be upgraded or not, since most likely you will not be upgraded.

Frankly, the GH HK has deteriorated to a point that I don't care for it anymore. I've never been a huge fan of it during the Barker regime, and will never be one due to various service issues (that have never been corrected, and never will). My advice: got to another hotel if service is important to you. Conrad and JW are both better choices, especially considering the location if you are not attending a conference.

Good luck!
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:17 pm

this hotel has perhaps the smallest rooms in HK for a 5* hotel.

a manager told me that it is their policy not to upgrade diamond members to the grand club even if rooms are available when on FFNs or some cheap paid rates - they will upgrade you to a harbor view room.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by miki13331
a manager told me that it is their policy not to upgrade diamond members to the grand club even if rooms are available when on FFNs or some cheap paid rates - they will upgrade you to a harbor view room.
Is there a VALID REASON why Hyatt GP doesn't crack down on this blatant disregard for their rules?
Old Nov 11, 2004, 6:55 pm

upgrade

I've stayed at the GH HK several times in the past 6 months (most recently in August), and I get upgraded to club level half the time, and harbor view rooms all the time.

I agree the rooms are small (used an upgrade coupon once for a junior suite - not much bigger), but all the rooms on club and non-club floors are identical. Before the policy change, since I got club access even staying on a non-club floor, it doesn't really matter whether I'm on a club floor or not.

I don't dislike this hotel as much as others have expressed here, although the service can be inconsistent - seems like training is a problem. While this hotel has always been popular with the convention crowds - it's right next to the HK convention center - in recent years it has also been swarmed with mainland Chinese guests, especially government officials and newly rich businessmen. (The typical mainland tourist opts for 2- or 3-star properties.) This directly impacts the hotel - more wear and tear in the rooms, more demands on the staff, more of a circus.

Overall, despite the grand and opulent (very late 80's HK) lobby, this hotel feels more like a 4-star in terms of service and amenities (the toiletries, for instance, are cheap). The new gym is nice, but overall the Plateau area is more style than substance, with design flaws that many have pointed out in other threads.

I wouldn't stay here if not for FFN.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 9:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Originally Posted by jkc22
Conrad and JW are both better choices, especially considering the location if you are not attending a conference.

Good luck!
I agree very much with the above post.

Expect little to nothing as a diamond here. The hotel is nice and has a great pool area for HK, but they really do not participate in giving diamond benefits to their guests.

I also like the Conrad and JW, and will possibly stay somewhere else next time I am in Hong Kong.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:25 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Not that bad, really

As you may recall, I ended up using points to get 3 free nights club level and 3 FFN nights, for a 6 night September stay. Karen helped with an e-mail to the hotel, requesting that we not be moved mid stay. Check in was in the club and we received a city view room which means towards the pool/garden. It was because of the twin beds needed, otherwise, they were ready to give us a harbour view. On that same trip, I met Mad4Miles and he was using FFN's. He received Club access, though I remember he was on a lower floor.

I have always had club access as a DIA at this property, though I have always had "city view" rooms, though not because harbour view rooms were not offered. The times before, I wanted a king bed and they only had twins on the harbour side. Breakfast in the Grand Club can be inconsistent, as many times the selection is not replenished and the eggs are frequently runny. The breakfast downstairs on the first floor is actually preferable.

Prior to checkin, the hotel has a woman who responds to upgrade requests, with the pricing based upon your rate reserved. Of course, the rules are if available you get Club. I have not seen a variation from that rule, though I do know the hotel is frequently full, due to the convention center location and other factors (I have never experienced a service lapse at this hotel.)
Old Nov 12, 2004, 4:29 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Thank you for your posting RTWSTARALLIANCE. The Grand Hyatt was an option we were considering for an upcoming stay (during the Christmas holiday), but having read the posts here, will be reconsidering (especially since I will be booking 6 rooms).

Thank you all of your input ^ .
Old Nov 12, 2004, 5:45 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I've taken rbAA's tact and sent a e-mail. I only wish for this Hotel to in good faith offer us our Diamond benefits. I do not feel one should have a strong feeling or suspicion that little or no recognition will be given. That all being said my wife and the other couple we are travelling with are hesistant of staying at this Hotel. With the posts herein it has fallen upon me to get "comfortable" with this Hotel or can the whole thing and seek out another program. The Conrad would be our choice since I am short Hilton stays for keeping status. The very bad thing is that FFNs expire officially at the end of November 2004. I will let you know what I decide. Thanks for the posts and regards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.