Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UnitedConnection
The hotel provides its own express shuttle service from HKG Arrivals. A very luxurious motor coach. Look for the Hyatt-branded booth across the lobby from Customs & Immigration exit and banking services. Separate charge. Per email correspondence on 7/11/19, this service is no longer offered by the hotel. Two alternatives are:
Hotel Limousine/MPV: HK$1150 per trip per car (Mercedes S-320) or 6-person MPV for HKD$1400
Airport shuttle service (3rd party): ''Vigor Airport Shuttle Service Limited'' located at Arrival Hall B-01. Take shuttle to ‘’Harbour View International Hotel’’ (next door to GH). HK$140 per person per trip. This is no longer affiliated with the hotel, so tickets must be purchased directly from the vendor.

Diamond benefits as of 4 Sep 2016
  • Complementary Continental Breakfast (in lounge) 7AM – 10:30AM Monday – Friday & 7AM – 11AM (Weekends & Public Holidays)
  • Diamond buffet breakfast also available in Grand Cafe
  • Complimentary Evening Cocktails - 5:30PM – 7:30PM
  • All day complimentary tea, coffee, refreshments, and limited alcoholic beverages (not sure if this is in room or in lounge as lounge hours are 7AM – midnight)
  • Complimentary 3 pieces laundry per day (standard service; not cumulative) for guests staying in a suite (not limited to Diamonds).
  • Grand Club meeting room 1 hour/day.
Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Hong Kong REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
GH Hong Kong Extra Charges

I was considering staying at the hotel sometime next Janurary. As it will be boiling in Hong Kong then, a pool is a must. My question to those who have stayed there recently is, how much do they charge to you the facilities (pool etc.)?
Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA-GS;Amex-Plat(former Centurion);Hyatt-Diamond;AA-Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BT87
I was considering staying at the hotel sometime next Janurary. As it will be boiling in Hong Kong then, a pool is a must. My question to those who have stayed there recently is, how much do they charge to you the facilities (pool etc.)?
January in Hong Kong is by no mean "boiling". It is more like a San Francisco winter.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by rtw*
January in Hong Kong is by no mean "boiling". It is more like a San Francisco winter.
It is probably not much different than January in Vancouver. I'm not sure the pool will even be open.
Old Jul 2, 2005, 8:37 pm

It is an OUTDOOR pool also!
Old Jul 2, 2005, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
January HK weather can be unpredictable. Last year it was freezing, with temperatures hovering around 10C, and since I've never packed any winter clothes, I bought my first jacket in Hong Kong last winter........All previous year I laugh at European designer shops carrying thick down/wool jackets and coats. But last year, they came in handy!

All previous year (I've been visiting every winter since 1994) and have never really needed a jacket. I wear the usual "summer" clothes with temperatures hovering arounc 18C (mind you, the HK residents will get every chance to showcase their winter collection when temperatures dip below 20C....mink coats and scarfs included....)

That said, the outdoor pool at the GH HK is heated and is open year-round. There's also no additional charges to use the gym/pool for hotel guests......
Old Jul 3, 2005, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jkc22
That said, the outdoor pool at the GH HK is heated and is open year-round. There's also no additional charges to use the gym/pool for hotel guests......
But it sure isn't heated year round... That pool in spring can be freezing. But it is a nice pool. A lot of outdoor pools in HK close in winter. My favorite pool in HK is the PLA training pool at the Tamar barracks. In three years of looking at that pool from the top floors of the MO, I've only ever seen one person ever swim in it. But is is always ready to go, 25 meters and 6 lanes across.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
It is a great pool/pool area and spa area and is open year round, but it is not heated very well (not sure why).
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jkc22
January HK weather can be unpredictable. Last year it was freezing, with temperatures hovering around 10C, and since I've never packed any winter clothes, I bought my first jacket in Hong Kong last winter........All previous year I laugh at European designer shops carrying thick down/wool jackets and coats. But last year, they came in handy!

All previous year (I've been visiting every winter since 1994) and have never really needed a jacket. I wear the usual "summer" clothes with temperatures hovering arounc 18C (mind you, the HK residents will get every chance to showcase their winter collection when temperatures dip below 20C....mink coats and scarfs included....)

I stayed at GH HK this past January ('05) and swam in the pool. Very nice. The entire fitness/spa area is top rate.

As an aside, if you are a Diamond, let us know if they upgrade you to a RC floor. A couple of helpful tips in this regard:

1. On the day you check in, and before you arrive at the hotel, make it a point to go to hyatt.com and print out the page detailing available reservations for that night (and each of the nights of your stay).
2. Call the regular (not Diamond) GP reservation line and, before giving your name and GP number, ask about RC room availability.

If 1 and 2 show that there are a number of RC rooms available AND If you are not upgraded during check in, show this information to the desk clerk and then, if necessary, ask to see the manager on duty and share the research.

If you are still not satisfied, go to the room that they check you into, go back to the website and GP hotline, confirm your information again, and then send a nice but firmly worded email to the HK GH general manager.

Last edited by macj86; Jul 8, 2005 at 9:58 am
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by macj86
FWIW, I do sound like I am anti-HK GH for the checkin games that they've played with me on my last 3-4 stays at the property.

I will also say that even thought HK GH does "play the game", they do seem to be gracious when you bring a "winning hand" to the table.
I am not sure what "games" you are talking about, but they are very strict about their policies and they are very good at upselling; the last time I was there (last month), the front desk people were going thru a training course in "upselling" during their non-duty hours -- so they take upselling seriously.

They did a good job with me as I upped myself to a junior suite, but we bargained on that, and the room really is MUCH better.

I also had a "hard time" getting a front desk person to confirm a Diamond GC upgrade by phone for me in the wee hours of the morning on my day of arrival(I was calling from JFK before my flight to HKG) on my day of my arrival, even though the GC was somewhat empty in terms of bookings for that day. What I wanted to avoid happening, given that I was arriving so late that day (11PM at the hotel), was somehow having them fill all their GC UGs with people that would be arriving earlier in the day. I got a lot of resistance to this very normal and easy request -- finally, after asking for a manager, I was told OK, only this one time, like this was such a big deal/problem.

Last edited by nologic; Jul 8, 2005 at 10:15 am
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:47 am

[QUOTE=nologic]I am not sure what "games" you are talking about, but they are very strict about their policies and they are very good at upselling; the last time I was there (last month), the front desk people were going thru a training course in "upselling" during their non-duty hours -- so they take upselling seriously.
QUOTE]

here's an example of a "game" - i was offered a GC room or a suite on a lower floor, i chose the GC, but after seeing the room i called down and asked if i could have a suite. they told me they had no more suites available - they sold all of them within the 5 minutes it took me to go up to the room, so i called hyatt reservations in USA and booked a suite and then had a conversation with the director of rooms. their defense was that the reservations do not have access to the actual room inventory at the hotel.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by miki13331
here's an example of a "game" - i was offered a GC room or a suite on a lower floor, i chose the GC, but after seeing the room i called down and asked if i could have a suite. they told me they had no more suites available - they sold all of them within the 5 minutes it took me to go up to the room, so i called hyatt reservations in USA and booked a suite and then had a conversation with the director of rooms. their defense was that the reservations do not have access to the actual room inventory at the hotel.
I would call the GM on this one. That's BS, although I don't really get the "game" -- they were willing to offer you a free suite UG or a fee GC UG, either are decent, and both were free?
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:28 am

the GM was "in a meeting" or "in shanghai" or something like that, they have lots of games
Old Jul 8, 2005, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by miki13331
the GM was "in a meeting" or "in shanghai" or something like that, they have lots of games
Well, theres ALWAYS a GM on duty, but it sounds like you surely were getting the run around.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:00 pm
Community Director Emerita

And this is why I have switched my July reservations to the JW Marriott, where I am assued of the executive floor. (I am top tier on both programs.) I simply don't have the stamina nor the inclination to do all the research re available rooms and to take the necessary stand on check in.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 12:59 pm

Some things are just too much trouble

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
And this is why I have switched my July reservations to the JW Marriott, where I am assued of the executive floor. (I am top tier on both programs.) I simply don't have the stamina nor the inclination to do all the research re available rooms and to take the necessary stand on check in.

I completely agree.

For me, if I have to argue to get the appropriate recognition, thgen I just could not be bothered. It is sort of like getting a belated birthday present after reminding your friends that today is your birthday.

....Not to mention the time and effort involved.

Best to go somewhere else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.