Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:43 pm

Trip Timing re FIS Championships 2015

Thank you for your replies - much appreciated. I am aware of the comparisons with other Park Hyatts, that is not a problem for me. Lift tickets and the infamous $50 valet parking - it just has to be added to the cost. On with the questions...

Is a car needed given we're tied to Beaver Creek at least 3 out of 4 days because of ski school? Will we need one to go snow mobiling for example? Otherwise, we would do a shuttle or service from DEN or EGE.

It's the trip timing I'm worried about and whether the whole ski and stay experience would be affected by any crowds from Ski Championships. Although I can see the events are at Birds of Prey (thank you for the link), I read that Red Tail stadium holds 10,000 people. I imagine the media and athletes will be staying somewhere. I have visions of a hotel lobby and ski lifts looking like Disneyworld on a holiday weekend...

Sorry if I exaggerate. We are coming from FL, my husband is a good skier (lived in UT for a while) but I do the bare minimum, and the trip is to introduce our 7 yr old to skiing - the convenience of the ski school, the ski valet, ski in/out, is a big factor for me. He thinks you can't beat Beaver Creek, but that going during the Ski Championships would be overwhelming. I just want to be realistic about what to expect.

eta. Thanks for your advice.

Last edited by ENFO; Jan 12, 2015 at 7:36 am
Old Jan 12, 2015, 12:20 pm

I will be taking my 6.5 year old on a ski trip to Beavercreek feb 11 - 15th and am wondering if anyone else travelling with kids who ski aged 6 - 8 wants to meet up for dinner or to ski together one day? We are staying Park Hyatt BC. PM me if you're up for meeting up for smores, ski or a meal together.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:11 pm

RE: ENFO - Trip Timing re FIS Championships 2015

For the dates you list, I don't think BC would be overwhelming (but everything is subjective). As I mentioned before, your dates are midweek. The only events during your dates there are the Super G and training events. Saturday, February 7th through the 14th, I think would be the busy period.

In terms of getting to Beaver Creek, you mention you are based in FL so if MIA is anywhere close, I would absolutely recommend flying on the non-stop AA flight to Eagle (EGE). Flying to DEN and then waiting for a connection to EGE is a waste of time, is more expensive and driving at that point is an equivalent amount of time (plus UA express flights have been having terrible baggage issues recently).

Regardless of whether you fly to DEN or EGE, I think having a car isn't optimal. The free shuttles around BC are great, parking at the PHBC is expensive and the car rental facilities at DEN are quite a distance from the airport (whichever genius decided car rentals should be so far from the airport has hopefully been fired long ago).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott // WN, AA, BA, UA, AS // Avis
I just finished up a 4 night award stay at the PHBC. Absolutely outstanding.

At check-in, we were given what they called an 'upgraded room', though I dont know what it meant since it was not a slope view. They said the room was slightly larger than their standard room... maybe I guess.

But the staff and service were phenominal day in and day out. By the 2nd and 3rd days, multiple staff knew us (and mostly our 22month old daughter) by name, and went out of their way to make us comfortable and relaxed.

Its already been said before, but the location is A++++. Cant get any better. In the heart of BC Village. Right off the slopes. Ski Valet was great.

Nightly music and some entertainment for the little ones in their Antler Hall was a lot of fun. Our daughter loved dancing every night and overloading on hot chocolate.

8100 was good. Not the best on-site Hyatt restaurant, but we went there for breakfast once, and dinner once. Staff was great, food was good.

Allegria Spa... loved it. After a long day of skiing and lots of soreness everywhere, I took a half day off the spa to relax and get some treatments, and wow did it help! Very clean, great staff, good selection of services.

The only 'complaint' is the valet parking of $50/night, but I knew that going in, I knew there was no real other parking options, and I know the St. Regis charges close to $100/night for valet. So it is what it is. We needed a car because of our young one, and because we also wanted to do a day trip to Vail (which was great, but not nearly as nice as BC!).

Cant wait to be back here in the future, even with the hotel going to Cat7 (we had booked at the old Cat6 rate a long time ago!), still absolutely worth it.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 6:49 am
Original Poster

IMHO, the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch is far ahead of the Park Hyatt in every category.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by speedbird001
IMHO, the Ritz Carlton Bachelor Gulch is far ahead of the Park Hyatt in every category.
Except for location. I actually prefer the Westin for cash and points when you can get it.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by speedytimmy
In terms of getting to Beaver Creek, you mention you are based in FL so if MIA is anywhere close, I would absolutely recommend flying on the non-stop AA flight to Eagle (EGE). Flying to DEN and then waiting for a connection to EGE is a waste of time, is more expensive and driving at that point is an equivalent amount of time (plus UA express flights have been having terrible baggage issues recently).
Thanks!

I will also look into MIA as an option for us, although we are only 15 min from PBI and MIA is still 1.5 hours away, but it might save connection time. I believe we would have to go PBI-DFW-EGE on AA.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:23 pm

Just got this offer emailed to me. My question is if you did a P+C booking would you still get the bonus points?

Rates starting at $599 for a Standard King room
Daily breakfast for 2 guests in 8100 Mountainside Bar & Grill
Book/stay 4 consecutive nights - receive 40,000 bonus points
Book/stay 5 consecutive nights - receive 50,000 bonus points
Book/stay 6 consecutive nights - receive 60,000 bonus points
Receive 1 commemorative 2015 WASC Ski Sweater designed by Jay Lindenberg
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by Trinob
Just got this offer emailed to me. My question is if you did a P+C booking would you still get the bonus points?

No, you have to book that specific offer code.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Trinob

Got the same email today, too bad C+P is not able to get this promo.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by ENFO
Thanks!

I will also look into MIA as an option for us, although we are only 15 min from PBI and MIA is still 1.5 hours away, but it might save connection time. I believe we would have to go PBI-DFW-EGE on AA.
We all value our time differently, but MIA to EGE leaves at 9:15 a.m. and gets you there at 12:02 p.m. (4:47 total time). PBI via DFW to EGE as an alternative would depart at 7:37 a.m. and arrive in EGE at 12:59 p.m. (7:22 total time). There is a 1:45 connection in DFW which should help with potential misconnects due to delays but the direct from MIA is quicker, less expensive and gets you to EGE almost an hour earlier.

I think someone up thread mentioned you ski free on your first day with a same day boarding pass - your husband can ski a couple of hours that afternoon while you check out the village.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
I think someone up thread mentioned you ski free on your first day with a same day boarding pass
When do the slopes open? Seems like you'd lose 4-6 hours if your flight only arrives at noon, versus flying into DEN the previous night?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Is this property worth it to blow my 2 free night certs? I'm put off by the ridiculous parking fees. Reports from 1 year ago indicate nothing can be done about it. Any new insights?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mnredfox
.....I'm put off by the ridiculous parking fees. Reports from 1 year ago indicate nothing can be done about it. Any new insights?
Nothing other than not to rent a car. There is a good reason why they can charge so much for parking. Don't forget that resort fee is up to $50 now. OTOH, you may be exempt from resort fee if using free night certs.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TerryK
Nothing other than not to rent a car. There is a good reason why they can charge so much for parking. Don't forget that resort fee is up to $50 now. OTOH, you may be exempt from resort fee if using free night certs.
Should be exempt. Or ouch, $100 per night for just having a car and staying here. I'm having second thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.