FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/133597-park-hyatt-beaver-creek-colorado-review-master-thread.html)

speedbird001 Feb 21, 2001 9:11 am

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, Colorado REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

This used to be one of my favorite hotels. A great place to go skiing but I just spent this past weekend in a $540 per night, tiny room without a view. The service was awful, the employees inexperienced and inflexible. The concierge actually told me that the hotel no longer had valet laundry service and that guests had to use the laundromat in the basement (not true). I asked for an extra blanket for my king bed and they brought a mattress pad for a twin bed. The hotel is not properly soundproofed and you could hear doors slamming, children screaming and TV's blasting, all night. The light bulbs are those energy saving florescent type that does not provide adequate light. The room furnishings are in dire need of replacement. It took a call to the manager to get them to change their phone system to identify me by my proper name. There were many items on the final bill that were not mine. The only item sold in the mini bar are small bottles of water at $3.50 each. What a dump! What a shame!? Anyone had similar experiences at this property?

------------------
speedbird001

hreamer Feb 21, 2001 9:26 am

We stayed here last winter. Nice mountain, bad hotel. My experience was very similar to yours, and we said so in our comment card.

We found the rooms to be average at best, and the staff, especially at the front desk and the lobby bar, to be uncooperative, bordering on rude.

Don't think we'll be going back anytime soon.

------------------
GM DL,SE CO,GOLD HH,PL HYATT,MARRIOTT,SPG GL

MileageAddict Feb 21, 2001 12:34 pm

Stayed at the Beaver Creek Resort November 1998. Nice hotel (love that lobby area), great spa service (massage) but the hotel staff has an attitide problem.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: The Airline Mileage Workshop

Muerz Nov 22, 2001 3:20 pm

Beaver Creek property now a Park Hyatt

The Hyatt Regency Beaver Creek has just become a Park Hyatt.

See this link for further details...
http://www.hyatt.com/explore_hyatt/p.../phbeaver.html

Any opinions?

Muerz

ldsant Nov 25, 2001 1:13 am

This property is probably one of my least favorites! The staff underwhelmed me beyond belief. The rooms were small. The location and the hottub/lobby/pool/spa were INCREDIBLE though!

VicOsaki Nov 28, 2001 10:35 am

We stayed there a couple of years ago.

There really isn't alot to do there in the summer. There is a ski lift that dumps you off at the top of a small mountain.

We had a very large room oddly shaped room.

It's in a gated compound. The hotel is surrounded by an incredible number of manisons that I suspect are used maybe a few months out of the year. Some people really have some money.

worldbanker Nov 28, 2001 12:08 pm

Good for them, I always like to see Park Hyatts in areas where luxury hotels are lacking. Now if they upgrade rooms maybe they could compete with nearby St. Regis and also new Ritz Carlton in Bacherlor Gulch. This is a seasonal resort hotel where you will really only enjoy it in the winter- ski in ski out and big hot tub deck- unlike other resorts ie. Scottsdale which you can enjoy year round.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."

TerryK Nov 28, 2001 9:00 pm

Location! Location! Location! That's what sells this hotel!

The location, settings and amenities for skiers/boarders cannot beat! That said, I think converting to Park Hyatt is more of an excuse to hike their rates than anything else. Nightly rates have gone up by $100+ for all catagories, while the only visible improvement I noticed was the marble bathrooms.

This is a ski resort, busy in the winters, quite in the summer, virtually empty during spring/fall. Most employees are seasonal, clueless at the beginning of the season, getting better late in the season (March), but then leave. That's just the nature of seasonal resorts.

It is also a relatively small resort, only 276 rooms. Most rooms are of the same size (small) and only a few suites. You cannot even upgrade to suites with GP points.

Despite those shortcomings, I think this resort is great and I go back year after year. Just wish they will upgrade Diamonds to suites someday.

[Edited for grammar/spelling]

[This message has been edited by TerryK (edited 11-28-2001).]

Jim90068 Sep 23, 2002 8:09 pm

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, CO

Just came back from a short weekend stay at the Park Hyatt Beaver Creek, CO. Nice hotel, nicely laid out and decorated. However, no gold passport floor or even recognition of membership.

Also, we found out that the hotel's bar closed at 10pm on Saturday night. Also, the restaurant and cafe stop serving breakfast on Sunday at 10:30am....No brunch, no late breakfast. Really unfortunate, in that there were NO other restaurants in the Bever Creek Resort that were open before lunch.

Is this anyway to run a resort, even in off season????

Oh, yes....additionally, there was some kind of solvent spill in the hallway of the 3rd floor..The fumes were incredible....but fortunately it didn't breech the rooms.

Nice hotel...bad management, it appears.

IK in Seattle Sep 25, 2002 8:05 am

I stayed there for a week last Feb. great location for skiing. I liked the hot tubs and fire pit, but I knew something was not right when it took 4 hours for them to deliver my Diamond Ammenity.

I think it got the Park classification because A) It is fairly small B) There is no RC and C) It is expensive.

speedbird001 Oct 9, 2002 9:25 am

This hotel was not built for Hyatt. Hyatt took over the management and it has been run as a Hyatt until last year when they spent a few bucks and renovated it. The rooms were poorly decorated and small. Once they renovated it they upgraded it to the Park Hyatt brand. The management and staff has always done a poor job and is very inflexible. The only positive is the location. Ritz Carlton is opening at Bachelor Gulch this winter and hopefully with increased competition will force them to clean up their act.

------------------
speedbird001

[This message has been edited by speedbird001 (edited 10-09-2002).]

TerryK Jan 15, 2003 6:40 pm

I am a Diamond member who visits annually or more. Nope, no upgrades during the ski season. No possibility of a suite, even a view upgrade is difficult to get. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif It is THE place to stay in BC and they are usually sold out anyway.

IK in Seattle Jan 15, 2003 7:56 pm

When I was there last Feb, we received an upgrade to an "Executive Fireplace Room" at least I think that is what they called it. Probably about 50% larger than the standard rooms, and a gas fireplace. The fireplace did not have much of a flame, but the room was a good size, although on a side of the building with only a view of an access road.

edsh Nov 23, 2003 8:24 am

I stayed for 3 nites at the end of August using FFN awards. I was assigned a normal room overlooking the yearround ice skating rink. The hotel is not air-conditioned and a note in the room advises summer guests to keep the curtains closed in the day and windows opened to cool the room.

As a Diamond member I received coupons worth somewhere around $5-7 per person per night for breakfast. I ended up redeeming these in the take-out cafe for coffee and pastries. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was around $15.

A Diamond ammenity card was offered at check-in and room service delivered within a half hour.

Although I didn't find anything special about the room, the rustic lobby and surrounding area were beautiful. The hotel offered several activities including daytime and evening hikes, exercise classes, and get togethers by the outdoor fireplace. Shops in the picturesque village adjacent to the hotel had many more activities. Nice indoor-outdoor pool. For skiers, the property is a 2 minute walk to the nearest lift.

I think my biggest complaint would be valet-only parking. Although the hotel is surrounded by the Beaver Creek gated community, the town of Avon is 15 minutes drive down the mountain. The majority of area restaurants area located there. A free shuttle bus makes the trip every half hour but if you want to drive yourself or make daytrips to the surrounding area you'll have to go through the valet desk (in addition to paying a valet parking fee and tips each day).

Overall, I liked the hotel for its ability to incorporate the feel of Colorado into the architecture. It gave a real sense of place. The staff are friendly and responsive. The Park Hyatt branding is a little misleading as it didn't have the luxurious feel normally thought of in Park, Four Seasons, and Ritz Carlton properties.

ski Nov 23, 2003 10:52 am

In Nov. called this hotel to inquire about diamond benefits. Spoke to girl at front desk. Identified self as diamond member considering a visit to the hotel and asked what they offer for diamond members. Response - an ammenity. I waited but nothing else mentioned. I then inquired about breakfast and was told they offer coupons to be used in their deli. Inquired about upgrade possibility. Response - We upgrade if available at check-in. Inquired as to what they upgrade to. Response - Can you please hold for a minute. She never came back to the phone and after a long wait it rang back to the front desk. Same girl answered phone and asked if she could help me. I said she had just put me on hold. Response - I'm sorry, what was I helping you with. I inquired again about diamond upgrade. Response - We upgrade to an Executive room if it is available at check-in. Inquired about what to expect in an executive room. Response - she described a room with a fireplace and a sitting area with a sofa. She said it is a very nice room.