Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Bali (Joint with Bali Hyatt pre-closing 11/14) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Returning to this property this year and I have again booked a suite using GP points. However, it seems there is now a new category, as I tried to get the same suite as last year and was told that suite is a Grand Executive Suite, vs a Grand Suite. They offered for me to pay the difference before arrival and I passed as I wasn't going to spend that kind of $$$ for a 12 night stay, especially since we'll be coming from the Conrad Maldives.

Anyway, does anyone know the difference between these suite categories?

I'm assuming that all of the suites are in the Grand Club area and offer Grand Club access, correct?

Thanks.

SF1K
Old Apr 11, 2009, 7:07 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Which Hyatt Bali would be more in touch with the culture of Bali, I just read a thread about the Conrad Bali where the comment was made if you want to enjoy a big pool removed from Bali culture, book the Conrad.

I imagine it is tough for a western chain to get it, I'm not looking for a place overun by kids or one that doesn't reflect the local culture.

How does Hyatt stack up culture wise?
Originally Posted by peter42
As the Grand Hyatt is in Nusa Dua, there this no real balinese culture there,...

Having just got back, I'm having a hard time realizing why anyone from the States would travel all the way to Bali to stay in the Nusa Dua (or other "tourist areas").

I can see if you reside in this part of the world, seems many Australians we met use Bali as a cheap version of Hawaii. But to fly that much distance and time from the States and miss what makes Bali special I don't understand, unless one has a good couple weeks time that they are spending on Bali and the resort areas are a portion of their trip.

--

Last edited by Sweet Willie; Apr 12, 2009 at 9:02 am
Old Apr 19, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I am currently deciding at which of the two Hyatts I am going to stay during my one-day layover in Bali on the Delta-error-fare. I am able to book a Regency-/Grand-Club room on points at both hotels, so my question is how they compare.

As I will stay only the one night, I look for a decent place to hang out at the pool/beach for some time, then head for the Club lounge for a small snack (not intending to dine out after three long-/mid-haul C-class segments in a row, two of which are on Singapore) and have a drink or two, get a good night of sleep, have a nice breakfast and then head back to the airport for the next 30 hours of travel.

So as both are within my distance-limit to the airport (max. 30 minute taxi ride), what would you suggest in regard to my requirements? I have read some mixed reviews on Tripadvisor for the Grand, citing especially the ignorance of management when problems arise, but also not-so-nice reports on the room-conditions at the Hyatt Regency. Also had one comparison stating that the Club-breakfast at the Hyatt Regency would be better than the one at the Grand including an Omlette-station. All things equal that could indeed be the deciding factor.

So - is there any current comparison here that could help me decide if I should stay with my reservation at the Grand or change to the Hyatt Regency? Any suggestion will be very much appreciated...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Apr 20, 2009, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
It all depends on what you want. If you want a more traditional Balinese approach, than stay at the Regency. I however would prefer the Grand anytime over the Regency. People writing reviews tend to have problems where there are no problems. What kind of problems do you think could come up on a one night stay at a resort?

Have fun in Bali, whichever property you choose
Old Apr 20, 2009, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
I'd stay with the GH.

All and all nicer property and closer to the airport.

No eggs in the morning,but a nice spread in the AM or PM for a GC lounge.

Both hotels offer nice walkways along the beach to walk off all those miles you'll earn.
But as said above more of a old style Bali at the HR.
Old Apr 21, 2009, 12:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by djohannw
I am currently deciding at which of the two Hyatts I am going to stay during my one-day layover in Bali on the Delta-error-fare. I am able to book a Regency-/Grand-Club room on points at both hotels, so my question is how they compare.

I did a one night stopover at Bali on a recent RTW. The immigration officials got somewhat concerned that I would be there only one day. Just get your explanation sorted out before you get to the desk, is my advice.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 2:22 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
How easy is it to travel from the Hyatt in Sanur to elsewhere in Bali, especially Ubud? Is there a shuttle or something similar available? I'll be in Bali at the beginning of July, it seems this is during school holidays and many places are unavailable. I'm strictly interested in culture and nature, not bumming on the beach or pool, so not interested in Nusa Dua. TIA
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:59 pm

I have just reserved the GH Bali for eight days this winter, and have secured a diamond suite upgrade for all eight nights.

This will be my first time in Bali, so I would appreciate hearing about anyone`s experiences at the hotel, etc...

I just have a few questions about the hotel:

Is the GH in fact the best Hyatt property to stay at in Bali? I suspect it is from what I see in the pictures and what I have read online.

Is it well located in Bali for travelers who want to spend a few days sightseeing? Is it relatively easy to get to some of the must-see tourist attractions from the hotel?

How is the food in the hotel`s restaurants? Are there any other interesting areas around the hotel with good restaurants?

Will eight nights be a nice long relaxing stay, or is that possibly a bit too long to stay?

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks

-Mike
Old Jul 13, 2009, 7:05 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Is the GH in fact the best Hyatt property to stay at in Bali?
Some say 4 Seasons or St Regis or other non-western chain affiliated properties. Bali is also very reasonable price wise, I'd suggest looking into a private villa rental also.

Is it well located in Bali for travelers who want to spend a few days sightseeing? Is it relatively easy to get to some of the must-see tourist attractions from the hotel?
Not in my opinion and I'd hire a drive to go about the island, you'll get more detailed info and greater understanding than you can gather on your own.

Are there any other interesting areas around the hotel with good restaurants?
see this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asia/...meal-bali.html

Will eight nights be a nice long relaxing stay, or is that possibly a bit too long to stay?
a bit too long to stay at one property, I'd go up north somewhere like Ubud.

--
Old Jul 13, 2009, 4:41 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
I have just reserved the GH Bali for eight days this winter, and have secured a diamond suite upgrade for all eight nights.

This will be my first time in Bali, so I would appreciate hearing about anyone`s experiences at the hotel, etc...

I just have a few questions about the hotel:

Is the GH in fact the best Hyatt property to stay at in Bali? I suspect it is from what I see in the pictures and what I have read online.

Is it well located in Bali for travelers who want to spend a few days sightseeing? Is it relatively easy to get to some of the must-see tourist attractions from the hotel?-Mike
Hi Mike from Tokyo, we use Bali as our winter getaway from the 2 disagreeable winter temperatures in Melbourne, and stay at both Hyatts. Our favourite is an oldtimer built in the 1970's right on Sanur beach and with the Balinese village atmoshere all around. Local restaurants abound as do shops markets and massages. Ubud and the volcanos and shrines are only a hour away and a car and driver will cost $40 per day. Up the coast are beautiful villages and towns and well worth a visit. The GH is at the end of the Island in a secure walled off precinct and is ideal for those that want a peaceful hassle free non Bali experience, which for us sometimes is perfect. A suite, club lounge beach spa and a supply of good books is what we want, and this is perfect. The problem with the Hyatt Sanur is the perception that Hyatt hotels should be new sparkling cutting edge and have new tiles in the bathroom, but for $110 it has to be the best bargain in the Hyatt inventory. We book one of the two story ocean facing suites in the club square, and whilst the brown tiles and the heavy timber shades are dated, the grouting a little discoloured with age, the two huge balconies ,outdoor shower, and the massive bathroom and wardrobe are a blast from the past. The club is nothing to write home about but it's cute and they do try, but the staff are friendly, food is fresh, the sun is shining and you can spend all day under a tree reading a book. To answer your question about is GH the best hotel in Bali, the answer is NO. There are unbelieveable properties on this magical island including 3 Aman, and there are better ones than those too, but they are only better if the isolation and the luxury is truely what you want. Bali is safe and personally I find no need to be walled up and protected, but each to their own, regards bkkrop
Old Jul 14, 2009, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by BKKROP
............To answer your question about is GH the best hotel in Bali, the answer is NO. There are unbelieveable properties on this magical island including 3 Aman, and there are better ones than those too, but they are only better if the isolation and the luxury is truely what you want. Bali is safe and personally I find no need to be walled up and protected, but each to their own, regards bkkrop
Very good feedback and helps me as well. Thanks.

I think Mike was asking if GH was the best Hyatt property in Bali (I assume he was looking on who wins between the GH and Bali Hyatt.

.......Is the GH in fact the best Hyatt property to stay at in Bali? I suspect it is from what I see in the pictures and what I have read online.
cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 11:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
There is no question that the Grand Hyatt is the superior of the two Hyatt hotels in Bali.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most

Personally I would stay away from tourist ghetto that Dusa Nua is. If you want Dusa Nua "Bali" experience just go to solarium few times and buy a bali DVD.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
The GH Bali is lovely if you are looking to get far far away, say you went somewhere exotic, but have all the comforts of home (gym, 24 hour room service, high-speed internet, etc.) - I've done it before when all I've cared about is a view of some ocean and a tropical drink in my hand.

As others have said before, however, you will NOT see "real" Bali from the GH (or really even the other Hyatt although you'll be closer)... but for a lot of us on vacation, the convenience of not having to think or plan much overrides the desire to seek out authencity.

(This coming from someone who has seen Bali on both ends of the spectrum a few times... last time I was there a couple months ago, I was happy to sit at the GH and stare at the water because I was so stressed at work, I just wanted to get away but needed to know I could have 100% connectivity if need be.... next time I'm there - next week - I'm staying with friends in a private house 3 hours northeast of Denpasar at the base of the volcano and far far away from tourists and towns... Bali, to me, is enjoyable either way. So don't let people dissing one option or the other sway you... you'll find what you are comfortable with or perhaps several different ways to relax there.)
Old Jul 16, 2009, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by techgirl
(This coming from someone who has seen Bali on both ends of the spectrum a few times... last time I was there a couple months ago, I was happy to sit at the GH and stare at the water because I was so stressed at work, I just wanted to get away but needed to know I could have 100% connectivity if need be.... next time I'm there - next week - I'm staying with friends in a private house 3 hours northeast of Denpasar at the base of the volcano and far far away from tourists and towns... Bali, to me, is enjoyable either way. So don't let people dissing one option or the other sway you... you'll find what you are comfortable with or perhaps several different ways to relax there.)
Done the same and couldn't agree more!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.