Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The certs clearly said that tax and gratuity were included. So when they brought the bills, I just wrote "Diamond certificate" on the total line. If the tip is included, it's included. No need to spend any more money.
Not in my experience there. The "regency" breakfast certs I had explicitly excluded gratuity. I even asked them about it, knowing that diamond breakfast usually includes tips.

That issue aside my impression of this property after a dozen or so stays is extremely positive (by a wide margin my favorite place in SD area) while a previous poster clearly left unhappy. Go figure.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Had a great stay there this past Sat night. My second visit in less than a year but first as a Diamond. FD was very welcoming at check-in and informed me of all the benefits and bonus points as a Diamond guest. Got upgraded from the lowest AAA Breakf rate to a deluxe ocean view room in the tower on the 16th floor. Checkout was equally nice and efficient, though had to get internet charge removed.

Regency Club was closed so I got a $50 dining credit and applied it at Red Marlin for dinner. Pricey (before credit) but the entrees (seafood arrabiata and kurobuta pork) and service were surprisingly excellent...wasn't expecting much I guess only having bf buffet there in the past. Atmosphere at dinner as compared to breakfast is like night and day. Breakfast buffet was OK (yes the scrambled eggs look processed) but liked having cheese blintz and an egg white dish offering. With the Diamond and AAA breakfast vouchers, it was complimentary for our family of 4 (though my little 2 yr old wouldn't have been charged anyways).

The only negative was that they removed the sand play area next to the Swim Lounge. Probably cause it wasn't safe to have kids play near the open lava rock fire pit.

The short stay was very nice^; especially considering the amount of GP points I accumulated...:-:simply astounding:-:. Not only did it count towards a NBT award night and double stay credit, but I also got enough points to be a third of the way to a free award night in a Cat 5 hotel any time of the year (1,500 G3, 2,500 RC closure, 1,000 Dia amenity and 1,000 reg pts). I've been a big fan of SPG, but I can't tear myself away from Hyatt hotels and resorts for a while now.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:18 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Great report.The Red Marlin is a very under rated restaurant. One of the better ones in the city.Oddly it has a reputation for being pricey.Sure its not cheap but compared to other establishments it is fair for the quality offered.
They do anthing to please guests within reason and for that reason the service is great typically.And the view is always a pleasure
I wish I could say something good about all Hyatt restaurants.
The one thing that is absurd at the Red Marlin is the canned whipped cream it doesn't fit with the mostly excellent offerings of quality

if Hyatt pulls of another year like they did in 2009 it looks like they will get the lions share of my frequency.I have cut Hilton out this year unless they recind the recent changes.I am canceling my HH American Express as soon as I can.Now what to do with 1,200,000 points that just became worth a lot less I am subsidizing their new free night promotion along with other HH high balance accounts.Though they threw many of us a bone with a free night in a category hotel I rarely stay in and it expires in June
I'll take the value of my points back thank you!
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by azepine00
Not in my experience there. The "regency" breakfast certs I had explicitly excluded gratuity. I even asked them about it, knowing that diamond breakfast usually includes tips.

That issue aside my impression of this property after a dozen or so stays is extremely positive (by a wide margin my favorite place in SD area) while a previous poster clearly left unhappy. Go figure.
On the back, it said the conditions. I probably have a picture of my certs I used in December.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got about 8k in points for my cheapish 5 night stay in Dec. Booked a special $129 suite rate, and got free breakfast for two adults and one teen. No $50, but free parking and I used Costco Hyatt certs to pay for incidentals.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Had a great stay there this past Sat night. My second visit in less than a year but first as a Diamond. FD was very welcoming at check-in and informed me of all the benefits and bonus points as a Diamond guest. Got upgraded from the lowest AAA Breakf rate to a deluxe ocean view room in the tower on the 16th floor. Checkout was equally nice and efficient, though had to get internet charge removed.

Regency Club was closed so I got a $50 dining credit and applied it at Red Marlin for dinner. Pricey (before credit) but the entrees (seafood arrabiata and kurobuta pork) and service were surprisingly excellent...wasn't expecting much I guess only having bf buffet there in the past. Atmosphere at dinner as compared to breakfast is like night and day. Breakfast buffet was OK (yes the scrambled eggs look processed) but liked having cheese blintz and an egg white dish offering. With the Diamond and AAA breakfast vouchers, it was complimentary for our family of 4 (though my little 2 yr old wouldn't have been charged anyways).

The only negative was that they removed the sand play area next to the Swim Lounge. Probably cause it wasn't safe to have kids play near the open lava rock fire pit.

The short stay was very nice^; especially considering the amount of GP points I accumulated...:-:simply astounding:-:. Not only did it count towards a NBT award night and double stay credit, but I also got enough points to be a third of the way to a free award night in a Cat 5 hotel any time of the year (1,500 G3, 2,500 RC closure, 1,000 Dia amenity and 1,000 reg pts). I've been a big fan of SPG, but I can't tear myself away from Hyatt hotels and resorts for a while now.
I'm heading there this weekend. Do you know if the RC is still closed? I always look forward to using that lounge with the kids.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I got about 8k in points for my cheapish 5 night stay in Dec. Booked a special $129 suite rate, and got free breakfast for two adults and one teen. No $50, but free parking and I used Costco Hyatt certs to pay for incidentals.
How did you get free parking? Was it part of your rate?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 2:56 pm

Posted previously?

Another great offer from Hyatt and the good folks at Mission Bay who run a number of the best promotions in Southern California
Act on it all Great hotel
Im In!

RECEIVE AN EXCLUSIVE $159 RATE, PLUS 5,000 BONUS POINTS WHEN YOU STAY AT THE HYATT REGENCY MISSION BAY SPA AND MARINA

Experience the beautifully transformed Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina. A stunning USD$65 million transformation brings the epitome of California coastal chic to our San Diego hotel with incredible ocean views, waterfront dining, a contemporary poolside lounge and more. This relaxing destination features:
• 429 redesigned guest rooms and suites
• A water playground with three lagoon pools, multiple water slides and a waterfront health club
• A full-service marina offering boat rentals, sport fishing, whale excursions and more
• Red Marlin, our signature waterfront restaurant
• The all-natural, eco-friendly Blue Marble Spa™

Coupled with our premier location close to famous sights and attractions such as Sea World, our luxurious hotel in San Diego has become the unparalleled choice for discerning travelers.

As a Hyatt Gold Passport™ member, we would like to offer you an exclusive rate of USD$159 per night, a 15% discount on lunch and dinner in Red Marlin, our signature restaurant, along with 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points, when you stay now through June 30, 2010. Visit us online to learn more about Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina and to book your next stay. For reservations, visit hyatt.com, book the Hyatt Gold Passport E-Mail Rate and request Offer Code 5000GP.

Terms & Conditions
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lbskinny
I booked a $129 waterfront suite special. I don't recall free parking being mentioned when booking. When I checked in, I said "Parking is free for Diamonds", and was told yes. I was given a pass to hang on the rear view window, and all was fine.

I've heard of some being charged, and some not. I honestly don't know if it was the suite or diamond status that triggered the free parking.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:11 pm

I'm heading there this weekend. Do you know if the RC is still closed? I always look forward to using that lounge with the kids.
Regency Club will still be closed this weekend according to hotel
Whats with the 50 dollar credit? A bit confused.In recent past it was full breakfast up to 4 in the room breakast buffett or ala carte
Thanks
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
While I stumbled into "free" parking by the marina villas late on Thanksgiving night, I remember now that I used to park for free over on the west side, where the tent often is. You might give it a try.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Regency Club will still be closed this weekend according to hotel
Whats with the 50 dollar credit? A bit confused.In recent past it was full breakfast up to 4 in the room breakast buffett or ala carte
Thanks
At check-in, the FD person informed me that the RC was closed and in lieu of that, as a Diamond, I would receive 2 add'l complimentary breakfasts at Red Marlin (already had 2 on AAA BREAKF rate), 2,500 GP points for RC closure as well as a $50 dining credit. I was surprised by that last one and inquired later so as to confirm it. The credit was properly reflected on folio upon check-out. Maybe it was a one-off thing, but if not for that credit, I wouldn't have dined at Red Marlin that evening and spent an additional $50 in F&B.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
At check-in, the FD person informed me that the RC was closed and in lieu of that, as a Diamond, I would receive 2 add'l complimentary breakfasts at Red Marlin (already had 2 on AAA BREAKF rate), 2,500 GP points for RC closure as well as a $50 dining credit. I was surprised by that last one and inquired later so as to confirm it. The credit was properly reflected on folio upon check-out. Maybe it was a one-off thing, but if not for that credit, I wouldn't have dined at Red Marlin that evening and spent an additional $50 in F&B.
Sounds very generous to me
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: Conti Plat/1K, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Another great offer from Hyatt and the good folks at Mission Bay who run a number of the best promotions in Southern California
Act on it all Great hotel
Im In!

RECEIVE AN EXCLUSIVE $159 RATE, PLUS 5,000 BONUS POINTS WHEN YOU STAY AT THE HYATT REGENCY MISSION BAY SPA AND MARINA

Experience the beautifully transformed Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina. A stunning USD$65 million transformation brings the epitome of California coastal chic to our San Diego hotel with incredible ocean views, waterfront dining, a contemporary poolside lounge and more. This relaxing destination features:
• 429 redesigned guest rooms and suites
• A water playground with three lagoon pools, multiple water slides and a waterfront health club
• A full-service marina offering boat rentals, sport fishing, whale excursions and more
• Red Marlin, our signature waterfront restaurant
• The all-natural, eco-friendly Blue Marble Spa™

Coupled with our premier location close to famous sights and attractions such as Sea World, our luxurious hotel in San Diego has become the unparalleled choice for discerning travelers.

As a Hyatt Gold Passport™ member, we would like to offer you an exclusive rate of USD$159 per night, a 15% discount on lunch and dinner in Red Marlin, our signature restaurant, along with 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points, when you stay now through June 30, 2010. Visit us online to learn more about Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina and to book your next stay. For reservations, visit hyatt.com, book the Hyatt Gold Passport E-Mail Rate and request Offer Code 5000GP.

Terms & Conditions
Thanks for the post, I just swapped one of my bookings into the 5000GP
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:07 am

Here Tonight I was planning to stay @ Sheraton Mission valley

I just booked 3 more stays at Hyatt Mission Bay I hadn't planned on taking based on Next Big Thing and this new promo.I can't wait till Next Big Thing ends so I can see the inside of a SPG property again

The promotion timing was perfect as my condo roof started leaking last night which set the fire alarm off after shorting the wires
So much for my brand new property.We now need a new roof and celing other then that all good.
At least breakfast will be great in the morning at the Red Marlin as the Regency Club is closed.Next stay I hope to enjoy dinner there again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.