Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
At check-in, the FD person informed me that the RC was closed and in lieu of that, as a Diamond, I would receive 2 add'l complimentary breakfasts at Red Marlin (already had 2 on AAA BREAKF rate), 2,500 GP points for RC closure as well as a $50 dining credit. I was surprised by that last one and inquired later so as to confirm it. The credit was properly reflected on folio upon check-out. Maybe it was a one-off thing, but if not for that credit, I wouldn't have dined at Red Marlin that evening and spent an additional $50 in F&B.
Just checked in & the RC is still closed. Was not offered the $50 f&b credit as a diamond (per the posts of others), just the free bkfst (which i would get anyway) and 2500 pts for the RC being closed. And was told parking was not free for diamonds. I don't know why the FD agents are giving inconsistent answers and letting some park for free and giving some diamonds the $50 F&B credit. Seems a bit unfair...

Last edited by musikdude; Mar 12, 2010 at 9:47 pm
Old Mar 14, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
Was told by someone at FD that the RC might not reopen, as in closed for good. That would be a shame...
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Thumbs up Bliss Report: Hidden Gem

What a great hotel! I wasn't expecting it to be such a pleasant resort.

I'm not particularly familiar with San Diego in general, but I thought the area was very pleasant. Mainly, it's in a very quiet area of town, directly adjacent to Sea World. There are a lot of your typical suburban stores (CVS, souplantation, etc) right on the other side of the freeway. Hyatt sits on a portion of the Mission Bay marina with great views of the bay and the ocean. It's a perfect place to go for a jog in the morning or afternoon.

Check In
I parked near the suites so I was confused as to where I needed to go to check in. I just assumed that the check in area was in the tower building, but I was wrong. Reception is actually in a lower building next to the tower.

The check in agent was cheerful (seriously, how do Hyatt get these wonderful people?) and informed me that they had upgraded me to their nicest room available (usually at Starwood, that often means I'm getting a room that I had originally booked ), which was a corner suite on the 16th floor. Woohoo! She quickly explained my benefits, including free breakfast at Red Marlin, internet instructions, as well as bonus points for the regency club closure (better if you asked me) and sent me to my suite.

Room/Suite
The suite was not extraordinarily big, but it was surprisingly very pleasant. It's basically a standard room as a living room with a large couch and a work area, plus an extra den where they put the bed. However, they put some canopy netting along the wall somewhat separately the bedroom and the living room. When you open the balcony doors and the extra windows by the bed, the ocean front hits the canopy netty and makes you feel like you are somewhere tropicical ^ It's pretty fabulous actually. Speaking of balcony, the suite had a decent size balcony facing the ocean. Beautiful.

The bathroom was alright, just your typical Hyatt standard bathroom with limited amenities and weak showers, but we already have another thread for that

Resort Area/Pool
We didn't get a chance to use the pool, but the front desk agent told me proudly that their pool is open year round and heated to 84 degrees It did not look crowded at all. There were 3 waterslides going into the pool, as well as a cabana area with a few chairs. This place would be a killer in the summer

Breakfast/Red Marlin
For Diamond breakfast, you either can get coffee and juice plus a choice of your entree (typical stuff like french toast, eggs benedicts, etc) or the breakfast buffet. The buffet offering was acceptable, but nothing to write home about: eggs, sausages, bacon, potatoes, pancakes, french toasts, cereal and some pastry. I think I will just order a la carte the next time I'm there. The setting of the restaurant was very nice though, right in the middle of the marina with great views.

All in all, what a fabulous stay! This resort is definitely on my secret list of weekend getaway spots in socal. The only problem I had from the stay is the points/stay credit never posted. I had to call to get them posted. Otherwise, everything else was excellent.

For more pictures of this property and other of my photos, visit: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkindonuts/

Last edited by BlissWorld; Mar 22, 2010 at 8:48 am
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA mm, Hilton Dime, Hyatt Xpl.& PC Plat, Miracle Fruit-su club
Well, I guess it's not hidden anymore - time to book those points award to convert to FFN's.

The 270-degree corner-suite balcony water view is tough to beat - on a very clear day, just after sunset you may be able to make out a large land mass to the west - the southern coastline of Navy-owned San Clemente Island is about 68 nautical miles away.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:06 am

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
I was here a couple of days ago.
didn't get the suite upgrade due to two queen beds but had a nice ocean view (17th floor)^
room was nice but need more update especially the shower head....too low
parking is 20$/night
only wired internet is free for elites (FD confirmed. wireless is 9.95$)
breakfast at Red Marlin (diamond, no buffet, juice and coffee with one entree)
nothing special although great view^
nice pools^

this property is very family friendly. i highly recommend for families!!!^

Last edited by pclee; Mar 25, 2010 at 7:07 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by pclee
I was here a couple of days ago.
didn't get the suite upgrade due to two queen beds but had a nice ocean view (17th floor)^
room was nice but need more update especially the shower head....too low
parking is 20$/night
only wired internet is free for elites (FD confirmed. wireless is 9.95$)
breakfast at Red Marlin (diamond, no buffet, juice and coffee with one entree)
nothing special although great view^
nice pools^

this property is very family friendly. i highly recommend for families!!!^
my last stay was a week ago, used wireless and they took it off at checkout..
diamond bkfst is buffett OR entree/juice/coffee- either way is great choice at red marlin...parking is $20 but you can avoid that fee if you REALLY want too by parking in the lot by the marina and not saying you have a car at check-in..always get upgraded to corner suite- RC is closed but not a big deal- i wound up with 11k points for one night stay (out of pocket less than $150 for room/tax wtih the $159 rate & using costco certs!)
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: SPG*P, AA*1MM, UA*1P, Hilton*D, Hyatt*D, Sixt*P, Hertz*P, Avis*F, Delta*G
Originally Posted by musikdude
my last stay was a week ago, used wireless and they took it off at checkout..
diamond bkfst is buffett OR entree/juice/coffee- either way is great choice at red marlin...parking is $20 but you can avoid that fee if you REALLY want too by parking in the lot by the marina and not saying you have a car at check-in..always get upgraded to corner suite- RC is closed but not a big deal- i wound up with 11k points for one night stay (out of pocket less than $150 for room/tax wtih the $159 rate & using costco certs!)
at least what i heard, buffet is only available on weekend when they have.
FYI, if you need a seaworld tickets purchase from concierge service and put on your room. they have 2$ handling fee but you can save way more with costco certs^^
they offer the corner suite with king but i decline since we need two queens.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:57 pm

Thinking about this property for a family vacation (2 adults and 3 kids ages 7, 6, and 5). As a Diamond, will I only get 2 breakfasts due to RC closure? or will I get breakfast for everyone staying in the room?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:29 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by mauibride
Thinking about this property for a family vacation (2 adults and 3 kids ages 7, 6, and 5). As a Diamond, will I only get 2 breakfasts due to RC closure? or will I get breakfast for everyone staying in the room?

Thanks!
Have you stayed before?
This has become my favorite Hyatt properties in the nation
Diamond Breakfast is limited to 4 full breakfasts in a room on Diamond benefits.That said I don't know what the occupancy limits are here per room
I saw a family of 5 there the other day and I think they had to spring for the extra child if I overheard correctly.

What I can say off topic is I love the breakfasts at the Red Marlin great blueberry muffins,outstanding produce/fruit
I typically order the baby filet mignon and eggs and ask for a mini omlette over scrambled.
Dinners at the Marlin is a must I love the baby iceberg lettuce plate with blue cheese dressing with crispy crumbled smoked applewood bacon
Hailbut is back on the menu ^
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, Hilton, AS, AA, JL, HA
Originally Posted by mauibride

Thanks!
Spent a couple of split nights there last week with my wife and three kids. Used the Diamond cert for breakfast in Red Marlin for only four of us on first stop (youngest wasn't feeling well and didn't eat). On second stop we had to have our breakfast in the Swim lounge as it was Easter Sunday and the Red Marlin was fully booked until the afternoon. They comped all 5 of us the breakfast buffet they were serving in Swim that morning- probably a one-time deal due to the crowds there for the weekend? Even if they only allow you 4 breakfasts in Red Marlin, if you order off the menu 2 breakfasts should be plenty for the 3 kids to share, providing you can convince them to peacefully share.

Mile Hound and BlissWorld (farther above) are both spot on- the Hyatt Mission Bay is an excellent property! Truly a gem, and a great place for kids. If you have kids and you're considering a Hyatt in San Diego, then this is the place for you. The kids will love the pool slides and roasting smores over the firepits. You'll love the cheerful and accommodating staff. I miss it already.

p.s. they gladly accepted the costco certs.

Last edited by Windward Side of Life; Apr 7, 2010 at 11:31 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 18, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
$159 rate -- 5K bonus stackable?

Have you gotten the G2 bonus to stack with the 5000GP? This rate is $27 more than our Senior rate...a no-brainer if they stack -- maybe not so much if it's 3K additional?
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Another great offer from Hyatt and the good folks at Mission Bay who run a number of the best promotions in Southern California
Act on it all Great hotel
Im In!

RECEIVE AN EXCLUSIVE $159 RATE, PLUS 5,000 BONUS POINTS WHEN YOU STAY AT THE HYATT REGENCY MISSION BAY SPA AND MARINA

Experience the beautifully transformed Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina. A stunning USD$65 million transformation brings the epitome of California coastal chic to our San Diego hotel with incredible ocean views, waterfront dining, a contemporary poolside lounge and more. This relaxing destination features:
• 429 redesigned guest rooms and suites
• A water playground with three lagoon pools, multiple water slides and a waterfront health club
• A full-service marina offering boat rentals, sport fishing, whale excursions and more
• Red Marlin, our signature waterfront restaurant
• The all-natural, eco-friendly Blue Marble Spa™

Coupled with our premier location close to famous sights and attractions such as Sea World, our luxurious hotel in San Diego has become the unparalleled choice for discerning travelers.

As a Hyatt Gold Passport™ member, we would like to offer you an exclusive rate of USD$159 per night, a 15% discount on lunch and dinner in Red Marlin, our signature restaurant, along with 5,000 Hyatt Gold Passport bonus points, when you stay now through June 30, 2010. Visit us online to learn more about Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina and to book your next stay. For reservations, visit hyatt.com, book the Hyatt Gold Passport E-Mail Rate and request Offer Code 5000GP.

Terms & Conditions
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by slocouple
Have you gotten the G2 bonus to stack with the 5000GP? This rate is $27 more than our Senior rate...a no-brainer if they stack -- maybe not so much if it's 3K additional?
I interupt your question for a live update
Here now having another fantastic stay^ On and off topic
Dinner at the Red Marlin last night was excellent last night.
We started with the superb melt in your mouth golden tender seared scallops over angel hair with the most light delicious sauce with diced veggies, followed by baby iceberg lettuces beautifully presented with blue cheese dressing and crumbled crisp applewood bacon. Main course was seared halibut with a lightly magical lemon sauce over melt in your mouth orzo (kinda sorta somewhere between baby pasta and rice risotto?)
Dessert Ice cream sandwich chocolate chip cookies with a small slab of vanilla ice cream between
One will feed two persons or you will be waddling out of the restuarant.

Our friendly polished professional server Tod who has served us before greeted everyone at the table and took care of any request on the menu that we asked for. Refills of beverages were prompt and the team was there consistently throughout the experience making us feel as valued customers.
FYI There is a new restaurant manager from the Tahoe property and he is a wine expert something I am not for those who like assistance with selecting quality wine during dinner
I was so full I didn’t want to go a party last night but did I certainly didn't touch food after that i will tell you that!

Now back on topic to answer your question the best I can. This is one of those gray areas as I like to refer to them
Here is my opinion and experiences
Yes
However one must call and speak with the good folks from Gold Passport typically to get it done after the stay.
For most of us this is typical even when chasing the elusive G bonus.And typically no big deal
Agents depending on their experience will say my pleasure or refuse.
Best to call GP during the day. At night I find less experienced agents and there are no supervisors to speak with.
One agent refused and said you have to wait 60 to 90 days for the bonus to post which i knew would never happen having participated in a similar promotion at this hotel last year I simply called back next morning and had it immediately posted by a friendly helpful agent.

Here is how I view the bonus situation which should be able to be stacked. These are two different promotions.
You are not requesting two G bonuses which one cannot do. One is a G bonus which may or not post like all G bonuses, the other a rate dependant bonus part of a package with a 15% restaurant discount where you are paying the higher daily rate to get the promotional point bonus/ discounts.There was a 30 dollar lower rate available on my last stay however the 5k gp points imo is certainly worth the higher rate and the fact that i love dining at the Red Marlin is the icing on the cake with the 15% discount on anything.........In the end I am staying more and dining far more then I would have without the promo.......

I consider the Hyatt Mission Bay now to be one of Hyatt’s top hotels in the country and certainly in the Southern California area based on some of the overall aspects. It has a great general manager, incredibly nice team members that remember your name and greet you all over the property once you keep returning, fantastic hotel promotions besides the Gold Passport program promotions, excellent complimentary breakfasts in the Red Marlin that can be exceptional, and a consistent track record of upgrading Diamonds routinely to jr suites with marina and sometimes ocean views.
The morning breakfast service as nice as everybody is remains challenging with lots of up and downs based on how busy they get

It doesn't get much better than that promotionally with Hyatt except to say one is also welcome to the Regency Club closure bonus too.
Because I typically do one night stays it is sensational.
I could see if someone is there for a week they would much rather have the club all week then 2500 points.
For me it is a win win sitution
The Red Marlin breakfast is typically highly generous with buffet offered or off the menu.The quality at the Red Marlin can be so high I may be dissapointed when the Regency Club reopens.But to their credit I always enjoyed their small Regency Club too and for now with the club closed and one night stays the extra bonus points always helps a good stay feel that much sweeter Hyatt GP really takes Diamond status satisfaction seriously by offering such bonuses
Cheers

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 19, 2010 at 1:10 am
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:28 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Red Marlin is on OpenTable and often with 1,000 point time slots, so even if they are not busy, it is beneficial to book a reservation through OpenTable if you plan to eat here (a breakfast and dinner reservation through OT would reward you with a $20 dining certificate).
Old Apr 18, 2010, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Red Marlin is on OpenTable and often with 1,000 point time slots, so even if they are not busy, it is beneficial to book a reservation through OpenTable if you plan to eat here (a breakfast and dinner reservation through OT would reward you with a $20 dining certificate).
Educate me but what are 1000 point time slots?
Old Apr 18, 2010, 3:22 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Educate me but what are 1000 point time slots?
Some Open Table restaurants have 1000 point "times" when they are less busy - compared to the standard 100 points per reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.