Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2004, 12:28 am

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Over the last 6 months I've stayed at the Manchester, La Jolla, and Islandia a total of around 15 times.

Manchester and La Jolla are much nicer that Islandia.

Manchester provides is a short distance from the Gaslamp district which is a nice place to walk around and also eat.

La Jolla is a hopping place on Thursday nights, especially the bar across the way (japengo). Staying here on Thursday gets you into the bar at night free (usually a $10 cover on Thurs) with no wait in the line. Other nights use the fitness center or pool. Both are nice. Don't worry about the regency floor. Ask for a high room overlooking the pool area.

Ok Islandia. If you aren't a diamond or didn't book a mini-suite or tower room you will most likely be disapointed. The rooms not in the tower are still run down and not very pleasant. However the mini-suites are quite nice as a previous post mentioned. As stated the bar was also re-done last year and is a nice cozy place now. The hotel is also right next to the Marina so depending on what you enjoy it can be a very nice location. It is not walking distance to much of anything other than the waterfront marina.

Overall, as a diamond, I enjoy the Islandia especially when a mini-suite is provided.

- Cheers
Old Jun 21, 2004, 7:44 am

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
The bottom line is, well the bottom line. This property will almost always be the most affordable out of the three in San Diego.

LaJolla is overpriced, and it is only really within walking distance of a couple of things other than hotel establishments. Manchester is also expensive, does not accept FFNs, but there are a lot of restaurants close by.

You should rent a car in SD anyway. If you want to save some money and stay at Hyatt, Islandia is a good choice. Better yet, hop around for some FFNs.
Old Jun 21, 2004, 8:36 pm

I've stayed at the Islandia and La Jolla Hyatt multiple times. The La Jolla one is nicer, however, the chances of a suite upgrade are slim...better chance of an upgrade at the Islandia. The RC at La Jolla is nicer, better food, better presentation, newer. However, Islandia really isn't that bad, just a bit dated.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:39 am

On the topic of suite upgrades at Islandia.

I'm a Diamond and checked in using 800-Checkin last night.

I requested my favorite room which is a mini-suite in the tower (not regency club level though). They booked the room.

However when I arrived at the Hotel they stated that since I was provided a mini-suite I was not eligible to use the Regency Club. It was either a mini-suite or use of the Regency Club.

After some dialog about how they would provide a continental breakfast if I was not allowed to use the regency club along with Hyatt Policy (offered to look at it on the internet with them) they ended up coding my room key for access.

This is also the only Hyatt I've stayed at that only provide 375ml bottles of wine as an amenity. Most other Hotels have a full bottle.
Old Jun 23, 2004, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
Is the Islandia convenient to the beaches? Does it have a little beach of it's own? Thanks.
It's close to the beach, Pacific Beach is prob the closest and a great place to hang out. Black's beach is good if you like to surf and don't mind the naked old guys running around.

Most likely you will have to drive. Hope that helps
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:28 pm

here goes

I am a regular guest at the La Jolla property so that's my main point of reference.

I was given a room facing west on the 7th floor. Nice view. But the room smelled musty, looked worn, and just was not all that nice.

Regency club was actually nice. Mostly marble, overlooking the water on the 17th floor. The food... sausages. Rather disappointing.

The gym was pretty nice. All new machinery but not very large.

Overall it really is not nearly as nice as the la jolla property. It does have view going for it. Other than that... I'd stick with La Jolla personally.... even though I don't like playing to use the "Sporting Club".
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by 767-322ETOPS
Actually, I'm going to have my 9 and 6 year olds with me, so I'll plan on skipping the naked old guy beach (thanks for the heads-up). Can you suggest a beach that would be good for kids? I don't surf, but my son likes to boogie board. Thanks.
Islandia is close to Pacific Beach and Mission beach (right next to each other) Pac Beach has the crystal pier, shops, restaurants, etc. Good places to boogie board. Mission beach has Belmont park (small historic theme park), no admission fees just pay per ride. both are great spots. check out www.pacificbeach.org and www.belmontpark.com.
Old Jun 27, 2004, 8:31 pm

Stay at the Hyatt in LaJolla, a much better choice. (unless Islandia is offering some good GP points.) As mentioned already, it's a dated hotel. The rooms facing the bay have a great view but the rooms leave a lot to be desired.
Old Jun 28, 2004, 4:53 am

The best views at LaJolla are of Interstate 5, and the only thing within walking distance is UTC mall, and that is about 1/2 mile away. Make no mistake, this hotel is not near the ocean, which is a 10 minute car drive away. And then good luck with parking, or getting a Taxi back.

The facilities are nice, but not worth the price. I don't understand the attraction of this property, other than for people that want to stay they stayed at "LaJolla."

If you want to spend that much money on your hotel in San Diego, stay at the Manchester downtown. Stunning views, great RC, and in the center of all the "action." (If you can really say that about San Diego at all.)

If you want to pay a lot less and still stay at a Hyatt, Islandia is fine, and the best choice for families.

Last edited by divaof travel; Jun 29, 2004 at 6:00 am
Old Jul 2, 2004, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
On the topic of suite upgrades at Islandia.

I'm a Diamond and checked in using 800-Checkin last night.

I requested my favorite room which is a mini-suite in the tower (not regency club level though). They booked the room.

However when I arrived at the Hotel they stated that since I was provided a mini-suite I was not eligible to use the Regency Club. It was either a mini-suite or use of the Regency Club.

After some dialog about how they would provide a continental breakfast if I was not allowed to use the regency club along with Hyatt Policy (offered to look at it on the internet with them) they ended up coding my room key for access.

This is also the only Hyatt I've stayed at that only provide 375ml bottles of wine as an amenity. Most other Hotels have a full bottle.
I was looking at your post again, as I am checking into this hotel later today. I believe the hotel is correct in this case. They have enhanced the standard HGP benefits by offering you a CHOICE of club access or a suite. The suite upgrade is not a part of HGP, period. So you checked in with the suite, and then demanded club access as well. They should not have altered their generous policy even further, and should have given you what HGP policy states which is NO suite, but RC access. No wonder they consider many Diamonds to be a pain in the butt.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by divaof travel
I was looking at your post again, as I am checking into this hotel later today. I believe the hotel is correct in this case. They have enhanced the standard HGP benefits by offering you a CHOICE of club access or a suite. The suite upgrade is not a part of HGP, period. So you checked in with the suite, and then demanded club access as well. They should not have altered their generous policy even further, and should have given you what HGP policy states which is NO suite, but RC access. No wonder they consider many Diamonds to be a pain in the butt.
A part of it is inconsitency that got my goat - a previous stay was in a mini-suite and also provided regency floor access. The other thing that initiated me to pursue the discussion was that it is the only Hyatt that directly mentioned that the stay was PL and typically not be given the same benefits as a booking from Hyatt online (I didn't mention this in the initial post).

Hope your stay was enjoyable. The mini-suites are nice and provide a wonderful view. Other rooms have a tendency to be run down as I've often heard people at checkout complain about and this thread. Three stays ago the room was moldy smelling and the door frame was loose which required you to put the key in about 5 times to jiggle the door for it to come loose and open (it wasn't the key card, rather door frame itself being loose). I wasn't going to mention it (door problem) at checkout until I heard a person next to me also with the same problem but the staff discounting it as them not understanding how to use the key card properly. As a rather passive traveler I didn't mention the smell of the room as I'm sure they already knew that as they clean it each day.

By the way was the Jacuzzi behind the pool open? Seems to have been out of service for over a month now....

Cheers, Craig
Old Jul 2, 2004, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by TravelGuy1965
A part of it is inconsitency that got my goat - a previous stay was in a mini-suite and also provided regency floor access. The other thing that initiated me to pursue the discussion was that it is the only Hyatt that directly mentioned that the stay was PL and typically not be given the same benefits as a booking from Hyatt online (I didn't mention this in the initial post).
Cheers, Craig
I have never heard of this before...a suite or RC access. Is this a new thing? I just called the Islandia, spoke to Patricia, a front desk manager to see about getting both. I'm getting married in 2 weeks, and will be getting ready at the Islandia (thankfully not staying here that night!!), and need a big suite. However, I had originally assumed that I would get RC access also. Patricia wouldn't budge...I can understand that rules are rules, but I every single Hyatt resort manager I've talked to (for my upcoming) honeymoon) has been more than accomodating. I guess I felt that the Islandia (of all places!) would be gracious for my wedding!
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
I was there on both Saturday and Sunday nights and stayed at the RC floor. As previous posters pointed out the rooms are bit tired even on the RC floor. The service at the RC was fine and the ladies working there were very nice.

The girl who checked me in late on Saturday night was nice and competent. The person who checked me out on Sunday was a total opposite. It took 15 minutes to close my folio that consisted of one phone call. Somehow they seem to charge the occupandy tax even on FFN reservations. Surprisinlgy the occupandy tax on the other night was one fifth of the Saturday night. Doesn't make any sense.

Please be aware that this hotel put obscure/obscene pending authorizations to your credit card every night. I heard one peple checking out mentioning that the hotel had authorized more than $600 when their bill was $250.

The location is perfect if you want to go to the Seaworld. The Pacific Beach which is great is 5 minute drive away. In my opinion they should offer free shuttle service there.

Don't pay $10 for self parking. You can park on the road front of the hotel that is closer than the garage for free. There is a sign that parking is prohibited between 2:00 AM to 4:00 AM every morning. The hotel must have requested this in order to get at least some of the guests to pay the parking fee. I didn't get ticket on either of the nights and didn't see anyone else getting one either.
Old Dec 29, 2004, 10:07 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by McLauma
Thanks to those for the "heads-up" on the Hyatt Newporter -- it helped! Now another quick question, please -- can anyone give me any feedback on the Islandia in San Diego? I'm booked there in about two weeks. Thanks
I stayed at this location three times this year. The first time paid $169 and received a room that was not in the tower on the first level near the lobby. No way!! I couldn't handle the mildew, I was put in the tower on the 6th floor. Standard room/seen better days, no much of a view, would not upgrade me to RC.

Next stay in Sept was upgraded to RC. Room (15th flr) was newer and RC was OK nothing exciting.

Stayed again in Oct, PL Stay and no RC upgraded available. Same standard/seen better days room.

It is about 2 miles from PB/Sea World/Mission Bay. The Airport is about 8 miles south and I don't think there is a shuttle service at the airport.

Be aware:

Most all rooms in the tower have a shower stall, but no tub.

The entry doors to the room are noisy (either slam or are hard to open/close due to misalignment/humid weather)

There is another building with suites, I didn't even check them out.

Parking at your own risk on the street, the lot you will be charged for overnight.

This property is borderline 3.5 star.
La Jolla 4 star.
Manchester Grand have not stayed there.

Last edited by Robt760; Dec 29, 2004 at 10:10 am
Old Dec 30, 2004, 9:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stayed here last month for one night and was given an oceanview Jr. Suite! I booked the room for $129 using the GP300 code which gave me the suite. The room was in the tower and was a good size. I agree that the hotel was probably about a 3.5 star but I would stay here again, especially in an Oceanview suite. I think self-parking was about $10

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.