FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Spa and Marina (San Diego) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jan 26, 2010, 5:27 pm
W2B Globetrotter

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Had a great stay there this past Sat night. My second visit in less than a year but first as a Diamond. FD was very welcoming at check-in and informed me of all the benefits and bonus points as a Diamond guest. Got upgraded from the lowest AAA Breakf rate to a deluxe ocean view room in the tower on the 16th floor. Checkout was equally nice and efficient, though had to get internet charge removed.

Regency Club was closed so I got a $50 dining credit and applied it at Red Marlin for dinner. Pricey (before credit) but the entrees (seafood arrabiata and kurobuta pork) and service were surprisingly excellent...wasn't expecting much I guess only having bf buffet there in the past. Atmosphere at dinner as compared to breakfast is like night and day. Breakfast buffet was OK (yes the scrambled eggs look processed) but liked having cheese blintz and an egg white dish offering. With the Diamond and AAA breakfast vouchers, it was complimentary for our family of 4 (though my little 2 yr old wouldn't have been charged anyways).

The only negative was that they removed the sand play area next to the Swim Lounge. Probably cause it wasn't safe to have kids play near the open lava rock fire pit.

The short stay was very nice^; especially considering the amount of GP points I accumulated...:-:simply astounding:-:. Not only did it count towards a NBT award night and double stay credit, but I also got enough points to be a third of the way to a free award night in a Cat 5 hotel any time of the year (1,500 G3, 2,500 RC closure, 1,000 Dia amenity and 1,000 reg pts). I've been a big fan of SPG, but I can't tear myself away from Hyatt hotels and resorts for a while now.