Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
Sydney Park Hyatt.

We are staying here next month and are pretty excited about it. We used our points for a free night.

So we have this Platinum extras certificate. We arent real familiar with using these. at PH Sydney, should we opt for the complimentary amenity, dining points? or regency club upgrade?
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:07 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The PH used to be excellent, maybe the 2nd best PH in the world (after Tokyo), but sadly it has really gone downhill in the past year. Of course it still has that great location (at least half the rooms do; a few rooms are rather bleak). But the PH is not competitive with the Westin in Sydney these days.
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:22 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by number_6
But the PH is not competitive with the Westin in Sydney these days.
Well, that depends on how well you can sleep at the Westin with the constant high beeping noise coming from their speaker system on the ceiling next to the beds in the Tower rooms. The speaker is not even used for the audio entertainment or TV, it just emitts this constant noise 24/7 and it's really annoying if you try to fall asleep.

But even apart from that the PH Sydney is by far the better hotel and the location across the Opera House can't be beaten!
Old Jun 18, 2006, 11:34 pm

I wondered what this was doing here the Park Hyatt on award -it is fab. ^
I also have never ever heard anything emitted from near the bed at the Westin
has anyone else had this problem.
I love the westin. the rooms are comfy and the club is fab.
and at under half the price of the PH well you get what you pay for dont you?
if The Sydney PH had a club like the Melb PH-well then that would be a different matter
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:01 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
[QUOTE=tinkybelle]I wondered what this was doing here the Park Hyatt on award -it is fab. ^
I also have never ever heard anything emitted from near the bed at the Westin
has anyone else had this problem.
QUOTE]

Agreed on the price difference, but if money wouldn't matter I would always prefer the PH...and especially if it's for free

I've got the speaker noise problem in all the Tower rooms (I think the deluxe rooms are better because the position of this speaker on the ceiling is further away from the bed). You probably have to stand still and listen to it. You don't just hear it when you walk in, but you will hear it if it's at night and you try to sleep. It's definitely there and when pointed out to staff they could hear it, too. It's just not obvious if you walk around. This small white speaker is apparently only an emergency speaker and does not have any other function than making noise.

Never had the problem in the Heritage Rooms though but since this is an ongoing problem I have simply avoided staying there completely.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Sydfly
Agreed on the price difference, but if money wouldn't matter I would always prefer the PH...and especially if it's for free
Nothing is free on this world.

I did stay there earlier this year for about a week using FFN's. Way overrated IMHO but a good way of using FFN's.

I love the BF vouchers that you can use ordering anything from the menu too for something like extra 5AUD per day.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by the phoenix
at PH Sydney, should we opt for the complimentary amenity, dining points? or regency club upgrade?
Can this cert be used for a regency club upgrade on an award stay?
Old Jun 19, 2006, 7:23 am

PH Sydney does NOT have a Club level

Originally Posted by William2005
Can this cert be used for a regency club upgrade on an award stay?

The title says it all.

More generally, ANY UPGRADE CERTIFICATE (Suite or Club) always requires the payment of a minimum rate which is usually quite high. That said, there have been some reports that some hotels have "honored" the certificate - but don't couint on it.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 8:32 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
The title says it all.

More generally, ANY UPGRADE CERTIFICATE (Suite or Club) always requires the payment of a minimum rate which is usually quite high. That said, there have been some reports that some hotels have "honored" the certificate - but don't couint on it.

In our experience most Hyatts outside of NA are fairly open to accept those certs on most rates (btw. RC/GC upgrades are valid in NA only now).
Old Jun 19, 2006, 1:52 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
PH Sydney doesn't have a RC (few PH do). I have always been treated well here staying on points. My first visit had a decent view, but could only see the opera house when on the balcony; my last stay when I pushed the button to open the drapes in the morning I could see the opera house without getting out of bed. . . cool. BTW I have never been to thrilled with the restaurant -- not bed, just not great.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by trd
My first visit had a decent view, but could only see the opera house when on the balcony;
On my first visit I could see the Opera House if I dangled my self on the balcony more than Mr. Jackson dangled his baby.

On my second visit the deluxe room was almost double the size and had more civilized view of the Opera House as well.

BTW. Mr Cruise was having a small party during one day when I was staying at the hotel. I wasn't invited through.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It has some rooms that are facing the street

though I doubt they would give that to you on your award stay. We rec'd the room with City/Harbor views on both award stays. Because we wanted two beds (we have very different sleeping habits, let me put it this way), we received a huge size room on both stays. I had a chance to glean in some rooms that had a king bed only and those were fairly small when comparing to the twin beds rooms we had, which I believe measured to at least 500sqft.

Avoid the ground floor room, unless it is located to the far end. Make sure the bathroom is properly cleaned - on our 2nd stay we found blonde hairs in the vanity sink and elsewhere - we were badly in need for a refresh and then to catch the ferry, we just scooped those with tissue papers, and not informed the guy who walked us to the room. Hind sight we should tell them on our way out ...

In our opinion, the PH is way overrated, only the location is the truly unbeatable part of this hotel.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 3:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I in no way found this hotel overrated. I was on an award stay of five nights plus one paid night, and was given a room directly facing the Opera House. The location of the hotel was unbeatable.

From the moment I checked in until the moment I left, the service was nothing short of oustanding. The atmosphere and ambience of the hotel were perfect. One downside is the gym, which is crappy. Maybe they'll renovate that next.

If I were using this certificate, I'd choose dining credit, since the amenity would likely be a bottle of wine. The better value, I believe, would be a dining credit.
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:32 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by holtju2
BTW. Mr Cruise was having a small party during one day when I was staying at the hotel. I wasn't invited through.
I had a very nice conversation with Keanu Reeves on the elevator one morning!!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 8:24 am

Programs: AA, Hilton
well just an update, we did our one night stay there and its a really nice hotel, in a fantastic locale. a nice treat was going upstairs to watch the sunrise on the bridge.

they did honor the amenities certificate that I had, sent up a bottle of wine and water, which was nice.

I'd stay there again. Thanks again for the replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.