Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2004, 6:10 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 168
Using FFN/Points for 9 nights at PH Sydney during Thanksgiving with wife and 2 young boys. Searching all these threads, I am guessing op-up to suite/studio is out of the question, bkfst coupons are given and we will be lucky if we get a OV room when we check in at 9 o'clock in the morning....

Any other new updates/experiences at this location for Diamond status that you would like to share?

Thanks!
We got no upgrade there (even when trying with a suite upgrade voucher). Only after complaining about loud construction noice in the room below us, they upgraded us to a small suite (without taking the voucher then).
Old Nov 10, 2004, 10:26 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Finished our stay a week ago or so, ended up being 8 nights then came back a few weeks later for 1 night. Did get free breakfast, but on neither stay did we get any sort of upgrade despite them knowing it was our honeymoon. In fact, we got one of the smallest, worst rooms possible in the harbor/city category. In this category, you want to be down past the lobby towards the end of the hotel farthest away from the restaurant. Like XX08, XX09 - these are the best and largest harbor/city view rooms. If you end up directly over the lobby, you are int he smallest, worst view rooms.

My end view of this hotel: good location, well kept, nice renovations...but absolutely do not care whatsoever about Diamonds. Not at all. I understand if we can't have an upgrade - but when two Diamonds are traveling for a honeymoon and you can't even block and hold a NICE room in the category they are reserved in - this is pretty poor. Also I would say the front desk staff and management are very arrogant, although everyone else was a pleasure, especially the very kind, very helpful concierges and bell staff.

Our trip was really great and the fact that we got a crummy room here was no big deal - well made up for by PH Melbourne, which is absolutely an amazing, amazing, amazing property where Diamonds are treated especially well.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Bad service at Park Hyatt Sydney

I find the service in the restaurant for breakfast trully pathetic... I was taken to a table which had not been cleaned, had to fetch my own cuttlery, napkin, no sugar on the table, no butter... Had to help myself to the OJ, I got up to go to the buffet and when I returned, nothing had been brought to my table, neither had it been cleaned, but the check was already there!!! Just outrageous
I complained to the front desk... but I don't think anybody really cared. One of the most overrated PH I have stayed at, next time I'll return to the excellent Westin!
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by thierry
I find the service in the restaurant for breakfast trully pathetic... I was taken to a table which had not been cleaned, had to fetch my own cuttlery, napkin, no sugar on the table, no butter... Had to help myself to the OJ, I got up to go to the buffet and when I returned, nothing had been brought to my table, neither had it been cleaned, but the check was already there!!! Just outrageous
I complained to the front desk... but I don't think anybody really cared. One of the most overrated PH I have stayed at, next time I'll return to the excellent Westin!
no surprise. looks like things havent changed a bit since my stay there.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Yes this hotel is the most overrated hotel in Sydney. If not for the view, the hotel couldn't afford to charge the way it does for bad and snotty service.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 10:54 pm

On my honeymoon this past August, we had an absolutely fabulous stay at the PH Sydney. All of the staff were wonderful--door, front desk, restaurant, spa, concierge--couldn't have been better. Very personal and friendly.

We moved to the Westin for 3 nights after 4 nights at the PH and wished we could go back!! The Westin was OK, but not nearly the same level of service from the staff at the PH. At the Westin, the staff couldn't be bothered, at the PH, the staff were always at our disposal and did a fantastic job with every request.

Of course, I'm Diamond with Hyatt and only Gold with SPG, so it may not be a fair comparison. Still, I guess it all goes to show that your mileage really may vary.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:28 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I had a very good stay Aug 04 but it was an award stay on 15K and 24K.

There were some minor construction and the only other incident was that they charged $6 for international papers (which they did not disclose) and the poor thing about it is that both days came on my last day there. Charging $6 for old news was a little out of line.

I have noticed that rates went up significantly and it is 2x+ other hotels in Sydney. It was very nice but not sure if it would be worth $600AUD...
Old Jan 23, 2005, 11:55 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Likewise had bad service and an overall mediocre experience staying there a while back on an FFN as a diamond. Not inclined to return.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 4:39 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Platinum, Choice Gold
cannot believe the service is still bad!

Hi:
I ate at the Park Hyatt three years ago and had some of the worst service imaginable. When I emailed their international customer care department about the unpleasant experience (it was impossible to get someone to refill my water and wine glasses and finally to get the check), the guest services rep stated they would forward my complaints to the hotel for appropriate action. Sounds like nothing has changed, if anything it's gotten worse!
Old Jan 23, 2005, 5:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by airguy
Hi:
I ate at the Park Hyatt three years ago and had some of the worst service imaginable. When I emailed their international customer care department about the unpleasant experience (it was impossible to get someone to refill my water and wine glasses and finally to get the check), the guest services rep stated they would forward my complaints to the hotel for appropriate action. Sounds like nothing has changed, if anything it's gotten worse!
My experience is a few years old now too.
But it haunts me perhaps because I really wanted to see them shine.
The service in the dining room has been evidently struggling for years after reading reports here.
We had a $600 dinner with unacceptable performance also. It is sad because the setting is dream like and magical. The food was only fair and portions downright stingy in some cases.Different portion sizes on the same dishes ordered arrived at our tables.
In the morning it was a struggle to get anyones attention or concern either to be seated,get a menu or explain how Diamonds get their breakfast benefit.We had a good time in spite of the let downs.
I never said anything at the time.
But it is high time somebody gets control over the establishment.
Perhaps the restaurant is outsourced by an outside group?

It sadly is not worth taking chances here other then perhaps drinks and the view. The host was dreadful too. We liked our server but her team around her damaged the experience.

On another unrelated topic.
The hotel itself demanded a higher daily rate to upgrade me at the time which I agreed too. No issue.
But then also decided to remove a large number of points from my account as well
Without asking.
It took time to clear the matter up but you can be sure it was not due to any help from the property.They damaged my relationship as a result.
I might consider returning though in the future if I hear more positive reports.

Let me say that I remain a huge Park Hyatt fan.
It is my hotel brand of choice normally.
And it is always my first choice in any city I travel too.The whole scenario was strange and a bit sad.
I have never been back and probably would not except if someone I was traveling with had a wish to overlook the Opera House and stay overnight.

I preferred the Park Hyatt Sydney years ago more when it had a whole different team brilliantly looking after guests.
It was a slightly different culture at the time.
The words I would use would be highly sincere and genuine.
Like all travel experiences most do vary. I prefer other properties and locations in Sydney at present.
The PH Sydney certainly is a very nice and impressive world class hotel and setting. Minus the discussed service defects we experienced during our stay.
For those that have never done it I will say at least stay once if nothing else just for the experience of it. Go out to eat though

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 5, 2005 at 2:03 pm
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:40 pm

I far preferred the PH Melbourne since the RC staff were very nice and the lounge was cozy ^

PH Vendome ^ for its stylishness and good service.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Couldn't agree more Snoopyo, the Melbourne PH is far better. PH are my first choice as well most of the time but in Sydney it will never be again. As far as the unique experience I do not fully agree . First of all the Rocks area is in my opinion far too touristy in the bad sense of the word, noisy...try to keep the windows open... not very intimate since every one can see you when seating on your balcony, and the view? ... well provided you have a room with one, and not to have to bend over so much as to almost fall on the other side!
Again the Westin is to me the better choice, the Four Seasons and the Shangri-La both have fantastic views over the harbour bridge and the Opera, even the Intercontinental is better in many respects...
Old Jan 24, 2005, 12:22 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
The one big plus the PH has are the balconies. No other hotel in Sydney offers this and we quite enjoy that. However, I must agree on the mediocre food quality in the harbourkitchen$bar. It happend more than once that I pointed out rotten fruit and mouldy strawberries at the breakfast buffet and staff simply smiled and took the one rotten fruit off the plate leaving the remaining food behind. I certainly wouldn't have breakfast there if it wasn't for free, but we certainly value our health and that came as quite a shock. That said, the portions are indeed tiny and the price you pay for lunch or dinner is 70% for the view and 30% for the food quality...very sad I must agree. This being one of the most expensive Sydney restaurants in such a beautiful location...it's a real shame. I'm still a member of their dining club, but I doubt that I will renew it this year. They have to improve significantly to win me back.

The newly renovated rooms are not everyone's taste either...we preferrred them the way they were before. Certainly $600 are far too much to pay for a room there, but unless they notice occupancy rates to drop below 90% I'm sure nothing will change...
Old Jan 24, 2005, 6:16 am

Off all the meals there, the breakfast is the best value and it is nice that it is free. The bar menu in the evening is fairly mediocre when I had a couple of things after a latish flight.

If I am not staying there and want to catch up on the view, I guess I would probably perfer to go there for a drink or two before dinner then have dinner there. Far better food elsewhere. Most of the restaurants around the Rock to Circular Quay stretch by the water has pricy but mediocre food since what you pay for is the view.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 7:30 am

I was in Australia recently, taking in Sydney and Melbourne along the way. Stayed at the PH in Melbourne again - it's one of my favourite hotels worldwide and I got a great welcome again this time - but have not stayed at PH Sydney. However, what I would say is that I have not yet had a satisfactory experience at any Sydney hotel in regard to service. This time I stayed at the Harbourside Marriott, supposedly a 5* but anything but in service levels. I've had similarly poor experiences at the Hilton and Intercontinental in Sydney on previous visits, which leads me to suspect that the problem is one to do with attitudes toward service in Sydney generally, rather than a hotel-specific problem. What do you think?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.