Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2004, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Snoopyo
TravelScholar,

I am also staying at Park Hyatt Sydney next weekend Aug 13-15 but when I tried to get an extra room for a friend, I was told that the hotel was sold out so chance of upgrading to a suite may be low. Do you have an suite upgrade certificate and are you on paid nights? When would you be in Sydney?
I'm arriving the 11th and departing the 15th. I'm on a combination of points and FFN. I do have a suite upgrade certificate, but I think it's expired.
Old Aug 5, 2004, 6:12 pm
pdb

Back on topic.....

So, what would be the best room(s) to request at PH Sydney?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 12:16 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Keep in mind that they are currently undergoing renovations. So, you could at least try to request a newly renovated room. More information on that can be found in in this thread
Old Aug 6, 2004, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by pdb
So, what would be the best room(s) to request at PH Sydney?

214-216 might do the trick(from $A675)

214 and 215 are the studio suites and I think 216 is the diplomat suite(the most amazing bathroom!)and 4 balconies.

I do hope I get an invite if you score that one.

Last edited by tinkybelle; Aug 6, 2004 at 4:01 am
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:19 am
pdb

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
214-216 might do the trick(from $A675)
214 and 215 are the studio suites and I think 216 is the diplomat suite(the most amazing bathroom!)and 4 balconies. I do hope I get an invite if you score that one.
Hardly likely, given it's a FFN stay. (hyatt.com was showing "prevailing rate" of $A720/night--that must be some overhaul they are doing.)
Old Aug 7, 2004, 9:49 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Originally Posted by TravelScholar
I'm arriving the 11th and departing the 15th. I'm on a combination of points and FFN. I do have a suite upgrade certificate, but I think it's expired.
TravelScholar,
The suite upgrade certs are not usable on award nights only on certain paid nights. When I used my last one, I could not use the hyatt.com rate, needed a higher rate. Otherwise I might have been able to contribute a cert for a good cause. Another issue would have been passing the cert since I am not arriving till Aug 13.

I think your best bet is to call / e-mail the GM of PH Sydney and mention that you are Diamond and there for your honeymoon and maybe they would give you a complementary upgrade.

Cheers, Mary
Old Sep 17, 2004, 7:24 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awful stay at PHS

Well, don't stay in room 102, the room I'm currently in, at least until the renovation is done. They're drilling and hammering next door and the "kindness" of the hotel in letting me into this room early has been mitigated by my consequent inability to get to sleep due to noise. The desk says that they can't make an exception and move the construction somewhere else for today.

Didn't know this hotel was under construction? Neither did I (since I didn't see this thread until too late); certainly no one at Hyatt Diamond res told me at the time I made my reservation.

I am in a newly renovated room, which mainly means a new carpet and a flat panel TV, but the cabinet I am sitting next to was clearly not replaced since it is well worn. The desk chair is broken -- they promise to fix it, gee, thanks. The shampoo and other amenities are identical to the standard amenities found in any U.S. HR, even Rickey's. Nothing upgraded here!

The ...'t manager on duty says the hotel is full and he can't move me but offered to do whatever he could. That turned out to be nothing, not even a followup call.

Update after checkout: The desk chair was never repaired. Only about 1/3 of all rooms have the stunning Opera House view, for the rest (such as mine) you have to go out on the veranda and look left. A diamond amenity, a bottle of wine, was presented but I never tried it since I assume that even in Australia, decent wines don't come in screw top bottles! Towels were at the Holiday Inn standard but the sheets were OK.

Local calls from the room cost A$1, but the SHORTEST call to even a local cell phone will cost you A$4.50 and range upwards from there if it is of any duration. If you plan to make more than about 30 phone calls, it would probably be cheaper to buy a prepaid cellular phone at the airport.

I'd say this hotel was good value at A$350 a night or on a FFN (as I was); however apparently rack rates are A$550-750; at this price range, you would do far better to spend your money elsewhere.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 19, 2004 at 8:38 am Reason: Update data
Old Sep 19, 2004, 6:53 pm

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
That sounds like you had a pretty bad stay! I must say that PH Sydney is my favorite hotel in Sydney and the views from your private balcony simply can't be matched. However, our first stay there a few years back also had some problems. Since then all our return visits were very enjoyable and now that we got used to the fact that you simply won't get an early check-in nor a later check-out we always look forward to our next stay (which is coming up this weekend ).

I know about the renovations, but I didn't think they were this disturbing to the guests (especially on weekends). I can only hope we will have more luck than you. I think it's quite generous of the hotel to allocate City/Harbour view room to FFN inventory. You could be stuck in the rooms facing the back of the hotel as well which is their cheapest category.

I agree with you about the ameneties. Unfortunately, they are nothing special. I'll have to wait until I see the new rooms myself next weekend before I comment on the steep price increase. I was hoping they place wireless into all room, but was told they didn't do that. Actually the cheapest rate on weekends has now climbed to almost AUD$700 for a City view room which is extremely expensive for Sydney IMO. But then again, they are always at full capacity, so they can probably get away with charging this much. I learned my lesson regarding phone calls at PH San Franciso a few years ago. A local call (I thought it was local) cost me US$12 for a few minutes! Now that is expensive. I wouldn't have complained if it was to a mobile number but for a normal landline call in the area? I don't think PH Sydney is more expensive than other hotels in Sydney when it comes to phone calls.

I'll report back after the weekend of my experience...
Old Sep 19, 2004, 9:16 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Well, don't stay in room 102, the room I'm currently in, at least until the renovation is done. They're drilling and hammering next door and the "kindness" of the hotel in letting me into this room early has been mitigated by my consequent inability to get to sleep due to noise. The desk says that they can't make an exception and move the construction somewhere else for today.

Didn't know this hotel was under construction? Neither did I (since I didn't see this thread until too late); certainly no one at Hyatt Diamond res told me at the time I made my reservation.

I am in a newly renovated room, which mainly means a new carpet and a flat panel TV, but the cabinet I am sitting next to was clearly not replaced since it is well worn. The desk chair is broken -- they promise to fix it, gee, thanks. The shampoo and other amenities are identical to the standard amenities found in any U.S. HR, even Rickey's. Nothing upgraded here!

The ...'t manager on duty says the hotel is full and he can't move me but offered to do whatever he could. That turned out to be nothing, not even a followup call.

Update after checkout: The desk chair was never repaired. Only about 1/3 of all rooms have the stunning Opera House view, for the rest (such as mine) you have to go out on the veranda and look left. A diamond amenity, a bottle of wine, was presented but I never tried it since I assume that even in Australia, decent wines don't come in screw top bottles! Towels were at the Holiday Inn standard but the sheets were OK.

Local calls from the room cost A$1, but the SHORTEST call to even a local cell phone will cost you A$4.50 and range upwards from there if it is of any duration. If you plan to make more than about 30 phone calls, it would probably be cheaper to buy a prepaid cellular phone at the airport.

I'd say this hotel was good value at A$350 a night or on a FFN (as I was); however apparently rack rates are A$550-750; at this price range, you would do far better to spend your money elsewhere.

Richard,

I've had some great wines in screw top bottles. As a matter of fact, that is the best way to seal wine.

An Aussie friend of mine told me recently that 60% of Australian/New Zealand wines are now screw top. We recently had a couple of lovely NZ whites in Las Vegas. Both were screw tops!

Enjoy

Last edited by RayinMaui; Sep 19, 2004 at 9:18 pm
Old Sep 24, 2004, 8:00 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ray,

I bet 60% of U.S. wine production is in screw tops also, and that probably includes some good wines too. But it still just looks cheap, especially if you include a corkscrew along with the amenity!

I'm sorry, everything about this hotel except the views (when going outside and crooking my head, that is) looks cheap to me. Based on my experience at three Hyatts in Oz, I'd say that the Hyatts there are in a totally different (worse) category than the ones in Asia.
Old Oct 16, 2004, 9:30 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Another question regarding room type. I have booked my parents into a OV king room at a senior rate of 690 AUD next January. Now the rate has gone down to 541 AUD, while the OV studio senior rate stands at 761 AUD. Is it worth to pay the extra for the studio ? Standard rooms seem to have a sufficient size (and they will be out of the hotel most of the day for sightseeing). On the other hand it will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip and may be worth for the overall experience
Old Oct 18, 2004, 2:04 am

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
Originally Posted by RichardInSF

Richard,
I think I was in a renovated room and they were renovating the room next door but did not see anyone working on it, maybe the fact that they were having a wedding / reception in house and the room is opposite the door to the rooftop reception had something to do with it.

Having been in PH Vendome and recently in PH Melbourne, the renovated room at PH Sydney seemed to have only partially replaced the furniture with some wear and tear. Maybe they are doing that last? Towel was a little worn too.

As to screw top wine, there are some very good Australian and NZ wine with screw tops, and believe me, I was surprised when I first seen them but have gradually lost the fast reaction but wait to judge the wine on taste but believe me, you are good to get the amenity since I did not get any amenities at PH Sydney, just the breakfast included with the award stay.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by ngfan
Another question regarding room type. I have booked my parents into a OV king room at a senior rate of 690 AUD next January. Now the rate has gone down to 541 AUD, while the OV studio senior rate stands at 761 AUD. Is it worth to pay the extra for the studio ? Standard rooms seem to have a sufficient size (and they will be out of the hotel most of the day for sightseeing). On the other hand it will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip and may be worth for the overall experience
I think the $541 is a much better deal as most of the normal ro0ms seem the same except a little smaller.

And if you are nice to the checkin people the good rooms seem to appear
-as per any other hotel!!!
I would spend the extra on a nice dinner.!!!!!!

$690 is outrageous by any standards!

hey just do a few hotel runs and give them a couple of free nights!!!
Old Oct 18, 2004, 1:31 pm

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Thanks, tinkybelle, for your advice!

I updated the booking to correct the rate of the OV room already (cool, you don't have to cancel and rebook at hyatt.com) to choose a decent dinner option instead . I really wonder what made them to lower the senior rate two months after the initial booking. Well, it's really worth to check the rates from time to time after making a booking... Too bad that PH SYD doesn't take part in wotif.com
Old Oct 18, 2004, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by ngfan
Thanks, tinkybelle, for your advice!

Too bad that PH SYD doesn't take part in wotif.com
And even if they did the rate on wotif.com would be the same or even slightly higher than the hyatt.com rate. That's my experience at least with the Australian Hyatts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.