Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2005, 8:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Dakota
I was in Australia recently, taking in Sydney and Melbourne along the way. Stayed at the PH in Melbourne again - it's one of my favourite hotels worldwide and I got a great welcome again this time - but have not stayed at PH Sydney. However, what I would say is that I have not yet had a satisfactory experience at any Sydney hotel in regard to service. This time I stayed at the Harbourside Marriott, supposedly a 5* but anything but in service levels. I've had similarly poor experiences at the Hilton and Intercontinental in Sydney on previous visits, which leads me to suspect that the problem is one to do with attitudes toward service in Sydney generally, rather than a hotel-specific problem. What do you think?
My last stay at the Park Hyatt in Melbourne was spectacular.
The Diamond upgrade the food and beverage and the Regency Club all superb. Ordered in room dining every day. I look forward to my next stay next month and see if the magic continues. Sydney like any city is hit or miss.But I find the Australians to be amongst the most loving kind friendly people in the world.
With a little smile and a polite reminder I find most requests get taken care of.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by Snoopyo
I far preferred the PH Melbourne since the RC staff were very nice and the lounge was cozy
Totally agree. Recent honeymoon stay. Totally crummy staff attitude at most times. This property is way overrrated, nothing special. If not for the view, they would be out of business. It is a shame that management doesn't foster a culture in which guests are treated better. And, as stacks up against PH Melbourne - just miles of difference. The latter is a hotel which really cares, and really delivers.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by thesilb
Totally agree. Recent honeymoon stay. Totally crummy staff attitude at most times. This property is way overrrated, nothing special. If not for the view, they would be out of business. It is a shame that management doesn't foster a culture in which guests are treated better. And, as stacks up against PH Melbourne - just miles of difference. The latter is a hotel which really cares, and really delivers.
lol I would translate that as " supply and demand view"
Sorry to hear about your stay at PH Sydney.That is one time in your life that good spirits and service really do matter. I remember asking the concierge at PH Sydney for a local newspaper.He told me to go get it outside myself.
Not the end of the world certainly.
But perhaps I expect more from the PH culture which is usually an extremely can do it's a pleasure world.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
So the trend I am seeing is fly into MEL on March 2nd for the Formula One Grand Prix, day-trip to Sydney on the 3rd to see all the sights, then head back to MEL for the night at the Park Hyatt and spend the race weekend in Albert Park, thereby skipping having to stay in Sydney at all.
I wouldn't miss staying over in Sydney for at least 3 nights.It is a fantastic vibrant city.
With excellent service in a fine number of properties.
I might consider other choices in lodging that have better locations and more fairly priced lodging for luxury accomodations.
In other words the product and the service match the value. At present you are paying for a great opera house view.
And for many that is enough along with the balcony regardless if the service makes the mark or doesn't.My guests were so dazzled by the view of the Opera House they didn't notice half of what I witnessed during my stay.
But for my guests they had died and gone to heaven just being there.

I think many of us (self included) are pretty spoiled/pampered these days after hundreds of night across the globe.Good service can not be people doing you a favor to smile. Sincerity is a nice thing to see.
Caring about the guest and looking after their needs is high on my list.
Anyone can sell a room and a view. Since the new renovation I hear PH Sydney is looking very well. It still was a very well kept property even before the renovation.

Don't miss a breakfast of Ricotta Pancakes and honeycomb butter at the legendary "Bill's" in Sydney.Worth the wait at all costs that is required at times.I detest lines and I wait too It can not be easily duplicated elsewhere

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 6, 2005 at 10:58 am
Old Jan 30, 2005, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
So the trend I am seeing is fly into MEL on March 2nd for the Formula One Grand Prix, day-trip to Sydney on the 3rd to see all the sights, then head back to MEL for the night at the Park Hyatt and spend the race weekend in Albert Park, thereby skipping having to stay in Sydney at all.
Agree with 777 global miles hound. Don't miss Sydney, a terrific town, just because of hotel worries. Look, let's not overblow this. The Park Hyatt Sydney is a fine property with fine facilities. You get a great diamond breakfast. Its a very good value if using points or FFN, this is one heck of an expensive property to pay cash for. The location is terrific.

The "gripe", if any (and not to look a gift horse in the mouth, I am grateful for Hyatt setting up GP/FFN/points scenarios and allowing me to even have part of my honeymoon here, because I wouldn't be paying A$880 a night for 7 nights), is that "HEY - THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE ONE OF THE WORLD'S BEST HOTELS! And one of Hyatt's finest!" After getting "WOW" service at places like PH Melbourne, HR Kauai, and so many other fine places, there is a lot of anticipation. And this property, we'll, it really didn't deliver for us. They just don't give a dang about diamonds, they don't seem to give a dang about service, and it can be a let down.

But for a place to walk into, sleep and occasionally eat, just fine. Just fine. Don't skip Sydney b/c of these trip reports.
Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
As a happy conclusion to an unhappy stay at the PH Sydney, and after contacting Hyatt Customer Service in Europe, the agent in charge of GP, the delightful Adeline Bouchard, was appalled at what I told her about the hotel and the breakfast service. She obviously exercised her power with the hotel, and I received an e-mail and a letter apologizing for the bad experience. Furthermore, the 45000 points I had redeemed for the stay have been reinstated to my account ^ ^
I am truly impressed by the excellent service and the very positive feedback I received after what happened and this the reason I share it with every one at Flyertalk... Kudo to Hyatt Customer Service
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:25 pm

Thumbs up

It is good to hear that your concerns were adressed.
Have always known that when I buy with Hyatt that I do so in full faith.
If there are true issues I know Hyatt will adress them should I ask.
At Hyatt it is simply always buying in trust.
I only turn for help in situations where a hotel is impossible to work with or unwilling to come to a resolution to solve a problem.That is very rare at Hyatt I am happy to say
I try to not sweat much of the small stuff .
It is nice to know Hyatt Customer service is there when you need them. ^
All comments in this post regarding excellent customer service(buying in trust) are no longer fully valid (jan 2009)

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jan 21, 2009 at 11:27 am
Old Feb 8, 2005, 5:07 pm

Location: Lahaina,HI USA AA PLT 9 Million Miles+, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz No. 1 Club Gold, Starwood Platinum,OnePass Gold Elite,+++
I'm staying at the PH Sydney as I write this and I have to say that service overall has been excellent! Service at breakfast Monday, before Superbowl, was just OK, but otherwise, everyone has been fantastic.

My wife and I were walking to the concierge desk yesterday morning before heading out of the hotel when we were greeted by one of the staff and asked if we were going out. I replied yes, but first we had to mail a letter and send a fax. He said, no problem, give them to me and I'll handle it, you have a g'day. When we returned to our room three hours later, everything was done.

The view is beautiful, as always. I'm always a bit concerned about this hotel, reading all the various reports, but this time I'm glad we're here.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:26 pm

hey hope to see you there. ^
I will be holed up at the RC for most of the time. Just love the PH mel!!

there is usually no one in the club.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 8:54 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by tinkybelle

Consider it your private club
I'm there soon myself

Sounds like things may be looking up at PH Sydney. I haven't been there in sometime and staff turn over all the time at a large number of hotels
So one never knows exactly what to expect.That is part of the fun too!
Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2005, 2:26 am
kpc

Programs: QF Plat, VA Gold, HH Diam, PC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tinkybelle

I agree...the RC at Melb Park Hyatt is very nice...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=47
Old Feb 19, 2005, 8:28 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
Parents stayed at PH Sydney in January for their once in a lifetime experience and that it was. Full opera view room (above harbourkitchen) with decent service and a cute design in a refurbished, contemporary style that really worked well. Still the top property in town.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 4:42 pm

PH Sydney Butler Service

Has anybody ever taken advantage of the Butler Service offered at PH Sydney? I have seen or heard that they claim to be the only hotel in Sydney (maybe even all of Australia) to offer personal butler service to every guest. Has anybody ever used it? If so, for what?
Old Mar 8, 2005, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA2mm,HGPdiamond, AAExPlat, MarriottGold
I've stayed at the PH Sydney and, yes, we did use the butler service!
He actually initiated the service, asked if we wanted movies from the movie library and then brought them in and insisted that he prepare popcorn and soft drinks for us so that we could enjoy the movies more. Things like that went on for the entire stay. The room was spacious with a wonderful view of the opera house.

Also, we stayed at the Regent in Sydney on a butler floor. There, he unpacked our bags and ran errands within the hotel for us.

It's definitely a lifestyle most people aren't use to, for sure!

However, as I recall, several years ago at the PArk Hyatt Tokyo, the concierge did about the same thing- DVDs, and speical projects/needs for the room and our well being. Very impressed with not only getting 'sold out' Kabuki theatre tickets but also slipping under our door xeroxed copies of the stories that we would be viewing that evening. We were well versed as to the performance and enjoyed much more due to that 'extra touch'.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by PSGlenn
The room was spacious with a wonderful view of the opera house.
Were you upgraded because of Dia status, or was this a paid view? Will be going there this weekend for the first time and am crossing my fingers for an opera house view...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.