Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney Park Hyatt REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - Pre-Renovation 2011

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by Altaflyer
My experience at the Park in Melbourne was very disappointing - the staff there are CLUELESS and have no idea what service is (on many fronts). They also have no idea about what Diamond status is. The lounge was however amazing!
Funny, my stay at the PH Melbourne was flawless - great staff, they double-upgraded to me to a Spa King on their top floor with a terrific cathedrale view (spending my FFN night), amenity (red wine) was brought to my room, attentive staff at the lounge and for breakfast. Guests from the UK who stayed at the PH Sydney the weekend before were under the same impression... Ms Poynder, GM PH Sydney, received a couple of complaints that weekend, and her attitude was far away from being appropriate. Not to mention that the aircon was not working for 24 hours...
Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
The room itself at MEL was very nice but the location was inferior. If you had the choice of a cathedral view and an Opera House view which one would you pick?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
The room itself at MEL was very nice but the location was inferior. If you had the choice of a cathedral view and an Opera House view which one would you pick?
The Opera House view - but my Premier Suite had no view on the opera not even from the balcony...

To be fair, GM contacted me herself to confirm the refund of my 6.000 points used for the upgrade, asked for more feedback and got back to me with a very nice answer to that. ^
Old Jan 27, 2008, 5:14 am

Programs: AA-1MM
Since there were so many comments that were helpful before my visit to this hotel, I thought it fair to inform all of you about my visit.

The room was nice, the view was amazing (booked and got a king opera room) and it was an overall good experience.

The front desk staff were rude and arrogant.....words cannot describe.......but the bell staff were excellent. The restaurant staff varied from OK to bad. However, the concierge was one of the best I have ever had at ANY hotel. He is an amazing guy, very good at his job, I cannot say enough good about him.

The bartender in 'the Club Bar' was excellent. Cannot say the same about the bar near the restaurant......they seemed more worried about chatting to the wait staff and the cooks rather than looking after their customers.

In terms of value for money, I'm sure that there are many better hotels in SYD. However, this hotel is a 'once in a lifetime' type of experience for the views alone. The concierge and bell staff saved this trip in terms of service. I can undertand many of the complaints appearing on the boards about this hotel, especially given the price, but there are some excellent staff at this hotel....I think that it is a matter of whom you deal with and what you are looking for.

On another related point, the concierge knew the Infinity Sourdough Bakery.....he knew we were short of time as we were meeting relatives in SYD, and he arranged for a nice strawberry and cream cake to be picked up from there and sent to the room.....we only paid for the cake as no other charge appeared on our bill. We just got a note from the concierge with the receipt and confirmation of our reservations for lunch at Jonah's the next day. Outstanding.

Many thanks to all of those who provided input on this property before our trip.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 6:16 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

We just returned from our 3 night stay (2 rooms) all on FFNs - very well pleased with the property.

We found all the staff pleasant and helpful. We arrived from AKL just before noon and one of the rooms was ready immediately while the other was ready by the time we returned to the hotel at 4 pm.

Our rooms were 328 and 332 - 328 room was smaller but had a "full" balcony with 2 chairs while 332 was larger but only had the "small" circular balcony without any seating. As indicated above the building is "serpentine" in shape with all the rooms on one side - therefore room numbers are consecutive on that side only. On floor 3, the room numbers were from 301-349 - with the extremely low numbers (say 301-310) and extremely high numbers (345-349) to be avoided since they don't have any views (either the back side of the Harbor Bridge for the low numbers and a side view of a tree with the high numbers). Other than those, the next bunch seem to be larger rooms some are perhaps suites (310-314 and 343-345). The rest are "regular" rooms with a Harbor/City views with the Opera House being seen when looking left out of the balcony. Every third room has the "small" circular balcony without seating (as indicated 328 had a "full" balcony and 332 had a "small" balcony) so count accordingly. I don't know if all rooms line up on the 1st and 2nd floors but assume that they do since the building lines up on the outside. Rooms on the ground floor (002-0016 I believe) have a patio that is a bit larger than the balconies up above but the downside is that they are not private since people on the boardwalk can see into the room if the curtains are drawn open.

The property is in good condition with some worn areas (especially the hallways that look a bit downscale for such an upscale property - perhaps some alternating wood paneling to match the room entrances would help). Within the rooms themselves the bathrooms are startlingly mismatched to the decor (somewhat "traditional") of the rest of the room (much more contemporary). The closet as well as the doors to the closet and the bathroom are quite worn. In room 328, on the second night the TV (flat panel) inexplicably kept turning itself on every 2 hours or so and charged a movie to the room by itself. Problem was solved upon notification the next day and the charge was removed at checkout.

The business center offers 3 computers (and perhaps one network hookup for laptops) for guest use at no charge for up to 30 minutes (not strictly enforced).

Breakfast is quite nice with the "Continental" Buffet being complimentary for Diamonds with an upcharge of $5 AUD for a hot "entree" - I enjoyed the truffled scrambled eggs.

Diamond amenity was relatively weak - 2 nectarines and some cherries. However, Diamond perks were granted without question for both rooms.

As many have said here, celebrities can regularly be seen at the hotel. One morning Cate Blanchett had breakfast with a group of women the next table over. My partner saw Sting coming out of the elevator on the 3rd floor.

Overall, a great property that's definitely unbeatable on FFN or award points. Whether it is really worth the $700 AUD is somewhat debatable unless its for a special stay.

Last edited by peteropny; Jan 27, 2008 at 8:46 pm
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:06 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by peteropny
We just returned from our 3 night stay (2 rooms) all on FFNs - very well pleased with the property.
As many have said here, celebrities can regularly be seen at the hotel. One morning Cate Blanchett had breakfast with a group of women the next table over. My partner saw Sting coming out of the elevator on the 3rd floor.

Overall, a great property that's definitely unbeatable on FFN or award points. Whether it is really worth the $700 AUD is somewhat debatable unless its for a special stay.
So which suite were you bounced out of Sting or Cates?
Good report and glad to hear it is still up to FFN standards
This star in his own mind will be at the Starwood properties with the rest of the mere mortals
in the months ahead
Old Feb 1, 2008, 12:17 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by AKLDUBFlyer

On another related point, the concierge knew the Infinity Sourdough Bakery.....he knew we were short of time as we were meeting relatives in SYD, and he arranged for a nice strawberry and cream cake to be picked up from there and sent to the room.....we only paid for the cake as no other charge appeared on our bill. We just got a note from the concierge with the receipt and confirmation of our reservations for lunch at Jonah's the next day. Outstanding.

Many thanks to all of those who provided input on this property before our trip.
Sorry to hear about some of the downsides. I never met arrogant folks ever at the Park Hyatt Sydney. I would describe them as not interested in guests (some of them) cool distant and perhaps a little full of themselves (rare in Sydney)Some not willing to be helpful or get involved
Highly manipulative with GP upgrades. Shy of that my stay was quite similar to yours and it was a considerable time ago
Now to the good stuff
That strawberry and cream cake sounds great did you try it or would you recommend it?
Not that I need any certainly
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:16 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, QF/HH/TG/SQ GOLD
I am just returned from one FFN stay.Upgrade to harbour deluxe(a mini suite with two balconies)
The staff are helpful and friendly.

The room is very nice,but I am not the lucky one.
Sydney weather was cloudy and raining.

The breakfast is good with straight opera view.I was happy got waive for my Diamond status.
Strange thing is PH SYD did not charge extra fee for breakfast and Internet use.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:37 am

Sale?

Did this sale of the hotel to Japanese investors go through?

http://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/2007122...zmn3hv6ykd.pdf

Any changes as a result?
Old Jan 21, 2009, 9:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
This continues to be my favourite Hyatt in the world!

Arrived mid afternoon and one of the outside desk guys opened the taxi door and greeted us by name! How did he know who we were? Fantastic service and typical of what you get at this property.

Checked in an upgraded to a king room overlooking the harbour and with a small balcony and chairs. Amenity was plate of cheese and crackers and 1/2 bottle of wine. Water was also provided at least twice a day.

Breakfast is superb and free (continental) for Diamonds or you can upgrade for A$5 each. My wife had the ocean trout which she rated as 10/10.

Everyone we met was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately we couldn't get a late check out as the hotel was very busy with passengers from a large cruise ship in harbour for the weekend.

Only one disappointment - we booked a table for dinner at 9PM. Ordered by 9:10 and were still waiting for food at 10:15 by which time we had finished our wine. I ordered pork which was presented as a roll with sage and pancetta and then cut into two. First piece was nice but second piece was chewy fat and gristle. Wife had whole snapper which was delivered on a plate that was just big enough for the fish. No side plate to fillet the fish and no fish knife. Fish was tasteless although mushrooms that came with it were delicious. This is the first meal we have had here that was let down by such poor attention to detail and poor service. We could only give this meal 7/10.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 8:48 pm

Excellent!

Came back to the PHS after two years - and had a wonderful experience for three nights (Indulgence Package) at a Opera Deluxe King (344).

Hotel was fully booked, service top-notch, fantastic Concierge (CS) went out of his way to make my stay memorable: Europcar replaced my car during my stay while I was having dinner at Rockpool (where he managed to get a last minute reservation) - Concierge showed up at the restaurant to get my signature on the paperwork for the hand-over!

Exceptional and truly amazing! Park Hyatt experience at its best!

^^^
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

Wired internet costs $30/day. There is wireless in the lobby.
But remember that is only about 20 REAL dollars - tax included.

I often need to pay that at run-down airport 3 stars, when tax/fees are added, so for this place is a pretty good deal I'd say.

Sitting on a balcony looking at the Opera House, and all the non-stop Sydney Harbour action, and checking emails, would be worth $US20 to me anyway, on a vacation stay in the world's prettiest large city.

Glen
Old Apr 10, 2009, 7:58 pm

We had no problem with any of the staff.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Just checking out of the PHS from a two night stay. I was upgraded to harbor deluxe room with two balconys. Diamond Amenity was red wine and cheese. Also two free bottle waters a day. The staff here is great no problems. The free internet for Diamond Members saved me $29 a day and the Diamond Breakfast is saved me $40. I would stay here again the location is great. Wish I didn't have to check out.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 6:39 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by cbchicago
Just checking out of the PHS from a two night stay. I was upgraded to harbor deluxe room with two balconys. Diamond Amenity was red wine and cheese. Also two free bottle waters a day. The staff here is great no problems. The free internet for Diamond Members saved me $29 a day and the Diamond Breakfast is saved me $40. I would stay here again the location is great. Wish I didn't have to check out.
I used my Diamond Suite upgrade and this is what they upgraded me to from a Park King...is this correct???? or do I really get a suite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.