Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2005, 4:07 am

Programs: TK/QR Gold, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, Avis/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kevino
For those of you staying on a FFN or points, please note that I was told the following are ineligible charges:

telephone
mini-bar
internet access
business center charges
laundry
buying chocolate at Mezza9

Eligible charges:

all restaurants (so I think Mezza9 chocolate may actually work)
I also think phone charges may actually work even though I was told by three different staff they would not.

I don't remember what they said about room service.
From my experiences on two FFN stays in November, mini-bar charges are eligible. I confirmed this on check-in both times.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, Air France Platinum Ulti, AA 4MM EXP, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Stayed at this hotel January 11/12 and was quite impressed by the quality and service provided. Guess I was lucky. Had booked a room at the Grand Club level and was upgraded to a Suite with a great view on the 17th floor. I did not get one Amenity but two...One every day... Free internet access, one free pressing, late check out (5 pm)...
Old Jan 15, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Savage25,

It`s good to know that the mini-bar works; it would be cheaper than any of the restaurants. Thanks.

Heyta, sorry to hear about your bad experience. Michael checked me out this morning. He`s helped me in the past. I told him about your post and, of course, he remembered you. He seems like a very pleasan fellow. Maybe you got him on a bad day.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 5:42 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
I was at the Grand Hyatt Singapore a few weeks ago (Jan 2 - 4). Sorry to say this, but I was not impressed with this property. Granted the rooms look great with their Bang & Olufsen television sets and the whole "wood" theme, but it takes a bit more than that to make an experience worthwhile. The club lounge was a total disappointment in terms of choice (and times) and I had to pay for internet access??? It wasn't worth the extra money at ALL.

Additionally, I felt that some of the front desk staff lacked the necessary "people skills". It is a shame as I have come to expect a certain level of service from Hyatt and this property was not up to par with other GH properties.

Next time I'm in Singapore, I think I will take my business elsewhere. But hey, everyone deserves a second chance
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:25 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I think part of the problem is that it can get very busy at certain times of the day. I think they need more staff at those critical times at both check-in and on the Club floor.

At check-in, the concierge is supposed to help, but sometimes they are not as experienced. That's why sometimes they don't key your elevator card to give you access to the Club - it's just an oversight. So, a tip if you're told you're given Club access is to key the elevator and press the 20th floor. If it doesn't work you can go back right away while you're still on the ground floor to correct the problem.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 7:23 am

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well anyone thinking of staying here should go elsewhere! Stayed here for the SiN Do and I beleave I was the only one staying here should have told me something We checked out early after having numerous problems.I am now in the Ritz Carlton paying the same rate as the HYatt and this property seems to have it more together. I have found the staff at this HYatt to be very sad. Seeing it's score against other hotels in Sin in conde nest I can see why.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
Well anyone thinking of staying here should go elsewhere! Stayed here for the SiN Do and I beleave I was the only one staying here should have told me something We checked out early after having numerous problems.I am now in the Ritz Carlton paying the same rate as the HYatt and this property seems to have it more together. I have found the staff at this HYatt to be very sad. Seeing it's score against other hotels in Sin in conde nest I can see why.
Hey PETEFLYS, sorry you're having a bad stay at GHS, but could you be more specific? What went wrong?

I have few planned stays in the next few months and wonder if I should just stay elsewhere.
Old Jan 18, 2005, 11:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Exclamation An Update

Just to let you all know that I had an email from the hotel last week. This came out of the blue, after I had checked out. So my complaint must have been heard and passed on, and then someone researched the complaint and contacted me. All good signs.

I referred the employee to this thread so that they can see that my complaint was not a one off.

They have offered a sweetner for me to come back, but accepted that I might not want to come back in view of the problems on the last three visits.

Anyway, could a change be underway?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Markie
Just to let you all know that I had an email from the hotel last week. This came out of the blue, after I had checked out. So my complaint must have been heard and passed on, and then someone researched the complaint and contacted me. All good signs.

I referred the employee to this thread so that they can see that my complaint was not a one off.

They have offered a sweetner for me to come back, but accepted that I might not want to come back in view of the problems on the last three visits.

Anyway, could a change be underway?
I think they will denote you in your profile as an "VIP" now, so whenever you return you will be treater much better than before. I am sure while the hotel won't "change" due to our complaints, it would certainly "change" for you.

Two years ago I received absolutely horrific treatment here, and after complaining to GP CS and the hotel GM and the Front Desk Managers, I was offered and apology plus an Executive Suite upgrade offer for my return visit, and assurances that no such incidents will occur again. Well, sure enough, the bad incident never occurred again, and I have been consistently upgraded without asking, regardless of rate.

Reading the posts here in this thread reinforces that the hotel still practices the "we are very full and tight with Grand Club rooms...." even after my complaints, and most recently just denied yours, so I am sure they will "mark" you as a "VIP or equivalent" so that you won't experience the bad service again, whilst all other not-so-frequent Diamonds will still be subjected to the dirty trick.....Just a speculation....
Old Jan 18, 2005, 1:28 pm

jkc22,

I think you are right that Markie will be treated special from now on.

I want to be a VIP too, but I don't have anything to complain about anymore! After 8 stays in the last three months, I know at least 10 people at the hotel. It feels like home to me.

I've decided I will be happy here as long as I get lounge access and chocolate. I'm not going to fight to get into the renovated tower anymore. Besides, I want to see what the rooms in the other tower look like. The other tower is also much closer to the pool!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 4:50 pm

Markie,

They also offered me a free upgrade to their grand club for my next stay in singapore and that they will personally take care of it. Too bad Singapore is not in my plans in the near future (or even distant future).
Old Jan 20, 2005, 10:04 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Hey PETEFLYS, sorry you're having a bad stay at GHS, but could you be more specific? What went wrong?

I have few planned stays in the next few months and wonder if I should just stay elsewhere.
Here were the problems of this stay:

Mrs.PETEFLYS asked Grand Club Conciere for help in locating a cooking class. We never recieved a responce back in anyway.

Requested a transformer none were avaliable from the front desk, only Grand Club had them and no one was willing to assist me in getting one late at night. They said come back tomorrow.
Called at 6am for transformer and plug the next morning
Waited two hours for someone to bring me a transformer and plug .
Room Service Breakfast.
We ordered breakfast and was told it would be about 30-35 minutes.
It arrived in one hour, stone cold. They did Comp the Breakast in there defense.
Every morning MRs. PETEFLYS would go to the CLUB and get toast and Juice and return to our room with it. On the 3rd day she received a phone call from the Club saying that food is not allowed out of the club area. Mrs.PETEFLYS responded she had done it everyday and she was told today you "got caught"and to return the china and glassware back up to the Club immediately.
We immediately checked out a day early and went to the Ritz Calton. They were very helpful in getting us relocated. We recieved a full american breakast from room service for our early departure. They gave us juice and muffins upon leaving the hotel for our early am flight. The converter I needed was sent to my room immediatly upon check in.
I have stayed at the Hyatt for many years on all my stays in Sin but I am sure this was my last one. The Ritz has a new customer.

Last edited by PETEFLYS; Jan 20, 2005 at 10:15 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jan 21, 2005, 7:16 am

I've decided I will be happy here as long as I get lounge access and chocolate. I'm not going to fight to get into the renovated tower anymore.
Will they give you lounge access if you are in the back 'non-renovated' tower? I was under the impresion that with the new rule you would need to be in the front tower.

I've never had any issues with the SIN Hyatt, but have not been there in over a year. It sure sounds like things have gone downhill.
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:17 pm

Smile

IK in Seattle,

Yes, they will give me access. Actually they are supposed to give you access to the Club only if you stay on the Club floors in the new tower. But I've been granted access as a diamond when not on Club floors in the new tower, and the several times they tried to put me in the old tower, they said I would still have access to the Club. I've never stayed in the old tower because I either paid to be upgraded or persuaded them to ug me to the new tower.

In talking with the Grand Club asst. mgr., she did say that there have been complaints from some guests that the Club is too crowded. That has never been my experience however. The club is fairly large, as you know.

So, you can't always talk them into ug you to the new tower (even when there are rooms available), but you should be able to talk them into club access if you are a diamond. Based on my conversation with the Asst. Club Mgr. I think they are trying harder to accomdate upgrades to the new tower for diamonds, due to all the complaints. However, it partially depends on who checks you in.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:55 am

who to talk to

IK in Seattle,
... So, you can't always talk them into ug you to the new tower (even when there are rooms available), but you should be able to talk them into club access if you are a diamond. Based on my conversation with the Asst. Club Mgr. I think they are trying harder to accomdate upgrades to the new tower for diamonds, due to all the complaints. However, it partially depends on who checks you in.
I've also had mixed experiences at the SIN Grand Hyatt. Who should we talk to if there are problems upon check in? (A name would be great, but otherwise, what position/title?)

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.