Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:18 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Now its 0215 and I have had a note pushed under the door advising that they had tried to deliver my Diamond amenity at 2301 but I was asleep. Duh!

They can deliver it in the morning I am told - shame I shall be on a flight to KL!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by IK in Seattle
A Grand Room (Jr Suite) is not the same as a Grand Club Room (Jr Suite with GC access).
Yes indeed the web site says:

At the Grand Wing, the all-suite tower, eight floors from the 13th to the 21st have been specially designated as Grand Club Rooms, which is designed to provide personalised services to the most discriminating traveller. Guests staying in the Grand Club Rooms will enjoy a host of privileges, which include complimentary continental breakfast and evening cocktails with canapés, butler service and exclusive check-in and check-out services at the Grand Club Lounge. Re-located to the top of the Grand Wing (21st floor), enjoy the panoramic views of the city's skylines and gardens, or watch the latest news on our 50-inch plasma televisions. Experience our brand new Grand Club Lounge- seeing is believing.
Also, oddly the rate that does allow Grand Club access is lower than the one I am paying:

Prevailing Rate Club King
560 Sq Ft/Junior Suite/Broadband/Cont Breakfast
Evening Cocktails/Rain Shower/Workdesk
As I am only in 605 I am not in the Grand Club.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:24 am

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Markie
Well I made a mistake - I gave them a second chance and low and behold - a bathless room again!

This time even a SGD380 rate didn't give me one.

Also no Grand Club access despite it being a Grand Club rate!

Am I an idiot?
Wow....this is very disturbing news! I just spent 2 nights at this property at a lower rate then yours two weeks ago and was afforded all the priviledges associated with Diamonds.....

I am sorry things didn't work out for you, especially since you PAID for Grand Club. Another note, while I was there they were hosting breakfast at the Straits Cafe, so could that be the reason for "no lounge"? Were you also denied access for evening drinks?

I would DEFINITELY complain to GP CS and demand compensation and an explanation.......this is totally unacceptable!
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:27 am

A Grand Room (Jr Suite) is not the same as a Grand Club Room (Jr Suite with GC access).
While this is true, I assume Markie is a Diamond, so should be afforded at least an upgrade and/or Grand Club access. A one-level upgrade would be to Club accommodations......

If that's any consolation, the breakfast at Straits Cafe is MUCH better than what they used to offer in the Club Lounge.......
Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jkc22
While this is true, I assume Markie is a Diamond, so should be afforded at least an upgrade and/or Grand Club access. A one-level upgrade would be to Club accommodations......
If they are still selling Grand Club rooms for his whole stay, then they have to upgrade him, even if he was paying a Standard Room rate.

Were there GC rooms available for sell?
Old Jan 11, 2005, 2:10 pm

I just got back from the SGH a few days ago, and I had a horrible experience.

My plane was delayed out of tokyo, so I wasn't in the hotel until about 1AM. Checkin staff was courteous (I'm not diamond or anything), and sent me up to a room. Key doesn't work. I come back down, they tell me the key should definitely work this time. Go back up. Key doesn't work -- figure out that it's the door, not the key. At checkin, they confirmed with me that I wanted no smoking... I didn't realize it but floor 14 was a smoking floor. That is where the room was -- right by the elevator.

About this time, the bellman comes up with our bags. I tell him our key is not working, he offers to get the problem fixed without us going down again (it's not a short walk at 1AM after the long flight. He calls down, gets a new room assigned, tells us to get the key in the morning. I noticed as we walked down the hall all the ashtrays in the hall, and the increasing smell of smoke. I asked the bellman, and he said "all rooms are like that, just need to send up housekeeping." I waited ten minutes, couldn't deal with the smell in the room, and went back down to get a new room. They were cordial again, gave me new keys (by the way, they had suites available, offered to let me upgrade for $60 a night) for a room on the 7th floor. Get in, get settled, it's past 2AM already now. Get to sleep, and wake up at 7:00 to the clanging dishes from someones room service being taken away. By 7:30 hammering starts in the room nextdoor (at least it sounded that way), and by 8:00 full fledged drilling is going on. I got on the internet, for s$25 for a day, not realizing I wouldn't be in this room long either.

Go downstairs, complain about the noise, they told me they would change my room for me, move my bags etc. while I was out that day. I was already really annoyed, only having 3 days in singapore, and it being a vacation, to have less than 5 hours of sleep is not my idea of fun, and I let them know it. They asked me to sign something letting them move my bags, I told them I might be back around 4, but wasn't sure. I go out, come back around 6:30 or 7:00 before dinner, for a quick rest. They make room keys (they could have made them ahead of time) quickly and send me up to the room, and told me it had just become available and my bags would follow very soon. I wanted to go out to dinner, but I decided to bite my tongue and just wait for the bags. It took 30 minutes for them to come. Bellman was probably the best employee at the place and moved the bags into the bathroom and was very courteous (too bad for him I wasn't in a tipping mood by now). From this point on nothing was unpleasant until checkout day, but certainly nothing was done above and beyond to make me feel comfortable after the discomfort of the first night.

On checkout day we wake up at 4:30 AM for an early flight, get down to the lobby around 5:15, and it takes almost 30 minutes to check out because I won't pay $25 for internet I could only use for an hour since I had to switch rooms again. The guy had the nerve to argue with me about it for that long, raised his voice at me (his name was michael by the way), and finally agreed to make it $10 which is the price for an hour of service (Where do these guys get trained on customer service?)

Anyways, it was a free stay on free nights, but the least they could have done is credit back the points for the first night due to the debacle, or maybe make some small gestures like a room upgrade (since they had them available) but instead they yelled at me on checkout. I won't be going back.

Oh yeah, I didn't bother complaining, but in the final room we wound up in, the bathroom door wouldn't close, which meant the closet light was on all night, unless you turned the master switch off, which meant the bed lights wouldn't work from the console. Small annoyance.

So who can I write to at Hyatt to be heard? I didn't have time to do a comment card while I was there.

Last edited by heyta; Jan 11, 2005 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
My last two trips to the GHS in 2004 (October, December) have mirrored HEYTA's experience - the front desk constantly trying to get me to change rooms, trying to put me in smoking rooms, etc. It is very odd that they treat diamonds this way, especially if we pay full price or Corporate rates like Markie.

The Concierge desk does a nice job, and the hotel is convenient, but the reservations people and the front desk don't really compare well with my other Hyatt experiences.

Fact pattern notes - I appear for check-in late at night/early in the morning, usually on a late flight from the West Coast, I am a diamond, I am Caucasion, I pay corporate rates that are well above the Hyatt.com rates, by the time I arrive all I want is a bed to crash into that doesn't smell like an ash tray.
Old Jan 11, 2005, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Fact pattern notes - I appear for check-in late at night/early in the morning, usually on a late flight from the West Coast....
Moral of story....NEVER fly UA to SIN (at least anything involving a stop in NRT)!!!

Seriously, I've always resented the schedule that UA has to/from SIN.....ditto for BKK.....

I guess at those hours the "better" rooms have all been taken, and in the event the hotel does not pre-block rooms for Diamonds, the situation could very well have been that simply no rooms were available (giving them the benefit of the doubt). Although I must say that in the past I have also been victim of non-upgrade and had to pretty much "argue" to get the Diamond benefits......

Last edited by jkc22; Jan 11, 2005 at 5:21 pm
Old Jan 11, 2005, 9:15 pm

If they are still selling Grand Club rooms for his whole stay, then they have to upgrade him, even if he was paying a Standard Room rate.

Were there GC rooms available for sell?

Certainly at 8pm local time they were selling Grand Club Rooms at SG$30 less than my non-Grand Club rate.

Their high speed internet went down around 4am - virus attack - but they agreed to credit me.

I went for breakfast and was admitted to Grand Club, but only after I had complained to the front desk about being turned away. Interestingly when I went up for breakfast my key had not been coded for the Grand Club, and so I am sure they had not given me access at check-in.

So never again. @:-)
Old Jan 12, 2005, 4:15 pm

I wonder if anyone from Hyatt management (corporate level or maybe even GM of the hotel) is reading this thread. There's been way too many negative comments about this property and it's a shame.

I myself will be staying there for one night next month and hope can post a positive comment as opposed to add more negative one.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
My experience was much better, but I had to make a big fuss at first:

Grand Hyatt Singapore
Dates Dec 31 - Jan 3
Rate: varied, around $260 US
Room booked: Grand Deluxe King
Upgrade: Club Level Grand Deluxe King
Upgrades available for purchase - No
Check in- Downstairs

I had made plenty of advance notice for my upgrade request, got a nice acknowledgement and then was checked in to one of the poorer GDKs on the 7th floor, no view, over the HVAC vents. I had to take my disappoinment first to the Club Concierge, who showed me her screen- 100% occupancy except in end rooms without bathtubs. Gave up for a while, but couldn't stand looking at the HVAC, so went back downstairs, spoke to the desk supervisor/manager, who said she had to get authority from her boss to move someone, but did and got me a great room on the 17th floor.

Really the rooms are pretty similar, it's only if you care about view and are sensitive to noise, is it worth making the effort.

PS I was offered club access right off the bat.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by jkc22
I guess at those hours the "better" rooms have all been taken, and in the event the hotel does not pre-block rooms for Diamonds, the situation could very well have been that simply no rooms were available (giving them the benefit of the doubt). Although I must say that in the past I have also been victim of non-upgrade and had to pretty much "argue" to get the Diamond benefits......
It does not matter when you check in, the staff have been told to tell guests that rooms are not available and that the hotel is full. unless you speak to a manager, the check in staff do not have the authority to move you to an upgraded room.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:03 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I've had four stays here in the past week and I'm four for four in getting upgraded to the new tower. Three of the four stays were faster free night stays, the fourth was on a rate for the old tower.

I'm not worried about lounge access here, no matter what room they put you in. I'm confident they give lounge access to all diamonds (even though they don't have to).

Btw, I told the woman who checked me in today that there have been numerous negative posts about the hotel on the internet and she said, "We know."

I also told her there is a flyertalk.com SIN DO scheduled for tonight and that of the 30 or so people who have posted their itineraries, none are staying here at the Grand Hyatt. I think that is surprising considering the FFN promotion is going on.

After staying at the Conrad last week, I must say the food at the lounge at the Conrad is much better than the Grand Hyatt lounge. The Conrad has hot food for breakfast and evening cocktails, the GH has no hot food. Also, the Conrad offers high tea with chocolate and scones in the afternoon.

I still like the suites at the GH, and with the FFN promotion, I don't mind paying more for the GH than the Conrad, when I have to pay.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:16 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Markie,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. Re: the Diamond amenity, I had a similar situation last month. Apparentely, Regency Club staff will not enter your room after 9:00 p.m. to deliver your chocolate. You have to answer the door. Like you, I had the early UA flight out the next morning.

So, I kept the phone message they slipped under the door saying they tried to deliver the amenity. I kept the receipt showing I checked out at 4:30 a.m. When I returned this month the asst. mgr. at the Regency Club had no problem having two amenities delivered to me.
Old Jan 15, 2005, 12:21 am

For those of you staying on a FFN or points, please note that I was told the following are ineligible charges:

telephone
mini-bar
internet access
business center charges
laundry
buying chocolate at Mezza9

Eligible charges:

all restaurants (so I think Mezza9 chocolate may actually work)
I also think phone charges may actually work even though I was told by three different staff they would not.

I don't remember what they said about room service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.