Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (closed Sept 22) - reopens 2024?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2004, 12:04 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by hungrytraveller
I will be staying at the Grand Hyatt next sunday and was wondering if it does worth to get a Grand Deluxe room. They say it's in a new part of the hotel.
Anyone has ever tried it?
Just an aside... I got an e-mail last week from Hilton in regards to specials at Conrads. At the Conrad SIN, you pay a rate of 250 SGD (~$145 USD) and get upraded to an exec floor room. If a Centenial Suite is open you get upgraded to the suite as well. Not too bad when you consider it's almost a guarantee as they have 25 suites. As A Hyatt Diamond I've had problems with the GH SIN upgrade policies and would NEVER go back... Conrad SIN treated me great and upgraded me to one of the Centenial Suites as a Gold... IHMO, Night and day for customer service.

Here's a link to the promo....

Last edited by thezipper; Jul 18, 2004 at 12:13 am Reason: add link to promo
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:50 pm

OTher options

The Grand Hyatt in SIN is about the worst hotel I could recommend in SIN. They have such an attitude. Price wise, it's very pricey to stay in the Club Rooms. NEVER....NEVER stay in the terrace tower. It's like a Motel 6.

It's an old hotel in the middle of a busy shopping district. Across the street is a 4 story adult entertainment area so there's lots of prostitution milling around at night.

The Conrad is a good hotel; the Ritz Carlton is priced like the Hyatt but is much better.

I like staying at the Sheraton. It's about as old but it offers so much more. 205 sin $ gets you a Cabana Room by the pool ( very nice...you don't feel like you're in a hotel ) plus free breakfast, drinks in the early evening, and 8 pieces of laundry a day! There's the MRT right outside the hotel and a short walk away there's Newton Circus where one can find some of the best food to eat in SIN.

If you are a diamond at Hyatt, you can call the Starwood Customer Service line and request to be comped a Platium ( Starwood highest level). You'll then get enough more benefits!
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:51 pm
Patron

There are GP benefits that outperform SGP at length!

Originally Posted by intheair
If you are a diamond at Hyatt, you can call the Starwood Customer Service line and request to be comped a Platium ( Starwood highest level). You'll then get enough more benefits!
If a guest at GH Singapore holds a GP Diamond Card, he will most likely stay at a Grand wing room in a suite on regular floors (5th to 12th floor), but not necessarily in a Grand Club room (13th to 21st floor). Garden view rooms are quiet.

Benefits for top tier members of GP & SGP are different; but if you read this this board on a regular basis, you will realise, that a lot of regulars make a lot out of GP - as the know how to play!

Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA AA HGP SPG HH
Originally Posted by Patron
If a guest at GH Singapore holds a GP Diamond Card, he will most likely stay at a Grand wing room in a suite on regular floors (5th to 12th floor), but not necessarily in a Grand Club room (13th to 21st floor). Garden view rooms are quiet.
Maybe for some other Diamonds. But I was put in Terrance Wing for a 4 nights stay. Repeated request for Grand Wing room was denied. During my stay, they had Grand Wing and Grand Club rooms for sale every night.

Like you state earlier, if one must stay at this hotel, it's better to pony up the extra money rather than rely on Diamond status. Personally, I would rather not reward that kind of behavior, so I would recommend staying some where else.

Last edited by SFOLIS; Jul 23, 2004 at 10:11 am Reason: improve clarity
Old Jul 22, 2004, 11:51 pm
Patron

Originally Posted by SFOLIS
Like you state earlier, if one most stay at this hotel, it's better to pony up the extra money rather than rely on Diamond status. Personally, I would rather not reward that kind of behaviour, so I would recommend staying some where else.
It goes without saying, that GH Singapore does not offer benefits for elite members as liberal as other Hyatt’s do (if a diamond card holder is very disappointed without club access, it will be worth considering which room to book in the near future). And at this place it is more important to negotiate at check in, if you are not a regular guest.

IMO main reasons for GP members choosing the GH Singapore are FFN, bonus points, need the stay for (re-qualification), redemption, etc.

Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:16 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Originally Posted by Patron
It goes without saying, that GH Singapore does not offer benefits for elite members as liberal as other Hyatt’s do (if a diamond card holder is very disappointed without club access, it will be worth considering which room to book in the near future). And at this place it is more important to negotiate at check in, if you are not a regular guest.

IMO main reasons for GP members choosing the GH Singapore are FFN, bonus points, need the stay for (re-qualification), redemption, etc.
IMHO... benefits are benefits.... if they don't provide them, the management should be called on the carpet to provid them, but it seems Mr Wallis doesnt have the time to do that...other than writing us letters to tell us how they are removing our Diamond benefits at international properties... Also, I shouldnt have to "negotiate" for benefits... I am entitled to the upgrade/lounge access as a Diamond, shouldnt have to fight for it. I do that as a Gold at Hilton...but then I don't have to stay 25 nights at Hilton to get lounge access with them... I'll stay at Conrad SIN in a heartbeat vs the GH in the future
Old Jul 23, 2004, 5:36 am

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
My recommodation for Singapore is still the Shangri La's at Orange Grove.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've never been a big fan of the GHS, but I figure for collecting FFNs it was worth putting up with the place. That is, until today. Just checked in on a reasonably cheap 240 SGD rate, and was given a huge GC corner room, with an excellent bathroom and a walk-in closet. Amenities included a couple of apples and a box of chocolates. I'm very impressed, especially after hearing all the flak this place takes, and my own personal experience.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA/EXP 3MM; UA/1K; HY/DIA; SPG/PLT; Fairmont/Life PLT
Originally Posted by Pickles
I've never been a big fan of the GHS, but I figure for collecting FFNs it was worth putting up with the place. That is, until today. Just checked in on a reasonably cheap 240 SGD rate, and was given a huge GC corner room, with an excellent bathroom and a walk-in closet. Amenities included a couple of apples and a box of chocolates. I'm very impressed, especially after hearing all the flak this place takes, and my own personal experience.
Congratz! ^

Looks like the GH SIN is trying to clean up its dirty tricks (I hope). I was there two nights 8/5-8/7 and again 8/11-13. The first visit was right after the lovely UA 881 flight and I arrived at midnight to a GC room!!

The second visit I got the corner suites, possibly the same type you had (with walk-in closet, dressing area, bedroom, bar, but no bath tub). I liked the corner room better than the normal GC or Grand Deluxe rooms, even without the bath tub. On the two visits I did not use the GC at all in the evenings, only for breakfast. I even had the chance to meet Marguereite, who was quite friendly, and I even discussed the upgrading issues with her. She replied that "due to popular demand" the GC rooms are very very "tight" and they of course have to accommodate "paying customers first." Which is fine and understandable. It is only when the GH SIN chooses NOT to upgrade even when there is vacancy that irritates me (and the rest of FTers).

Hopefully your experience and those of mine are a positive indication that GC SIN is changing for the better....(short lived before 9/1, as I'm very very interested in knowing what they will be up to... )
Old Aug 30, 2004, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by jkc22
The second visit I got the corner suites, possibly the same type you had (with walk-in closet, dressing area, bedroom, bar, but no bath tub). I liked the corner room better than the normal GC or Grand Deluxe rooms, even without the bath tub.
Actually the room I got wasn't one of the ones with a separate bedroom and sitting area, it was a room at the end, which was open plan, but actually bigger than the suites (one of my colleagues was in one of the one-bedroom suites and we compared by looking at the length of the windows.) It did have a bathtub. Much better than my experience at the PH Carmel, where I got a room so small that the bathroom didn't even have room for a bathtub. And all this for the reasonable sum of $480 USD.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 7:05 pm

I was there last week and paid for a grand deluxe room but was not upgraded to a grand club room even though they were available and was reluctantly given grand club access. at least the grand club has lots of seats now that the super potato renovations are complete.

i was not given the mezza9 chocolate amenity until i complained that i did not get one.
Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:55 pm

i think frequent travellers to singapore would have noted by now that the population in general give caucasions better treatment, and the anecdotes posted in this thread support this view.

if u read the papers, singaporeans dislike this type of behavior, but it still exists. most singaporeans who travel on SQ complain of FA's that pay more attention to caucasions than to others, and least of all (or so it seems) singaporeans.

ps. fwiw, i know someone working in hyatt who might be able to help pass on a well worded petition/letter to mgt.

Last edited by saimike; Aug 31, 2004 at 2:58 pm
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:01 am

hyatt singapore facilities

there have been many posts on the hyatt singapore, and how the service there is below par, especially if you are asian.

since i'll only be spending one night there (on a FFN), i'd like to know how the non-service aspects of the hotel is like? eg. how are the rooms (room size, bed, bath, etc)? the pool? the gym? restaurants? etc ...

while i've lived in singapore for a long time but i've never stayed at the hyatt there, so i'd appreciate more info about the hotel itself. thanks!
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:56 am

Programs: United MM
Its funny how different people can have vastly different experiences at the same property. I have no status with Hyatt (I tend to stick to *wood), but I had a lovely time at the Hyatt Singapore. I did not want to leave the hotel. I was given a gorgeous junior suite. Bang & Olufsson plasma TVs. Fabulous bed, even better bathroom, free internet access and professional, courteous treatment at the front desk. They did not allow "late check out", so I ended up paying a "half-day" fee to stay late.
I absolutely loved my stay. I don't know if the junior suite was an upgrade (again, remember, I have no status with Hyatt) or whether all the rooms are like that.... perhaps, someone else could comment on that.
Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Saimike,

I've never stayed there, but I have eaten at several of their restaurants.

Since you live in Singapore, you might consider joining their membership promotion. I don't know what it's called, but after paying a fee, you get a discount on all the restaurants and you get a couple of suite accomodation certificates. Some locals have told me it's a good deal, and then any service or stinginess problems become less important (because you're getting such a good deal). Maybe you've heard of it already.

Good luck with your stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.