Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2019, 4:47 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gq533
It looks like this hotel and most of Asia and Europe only allow you to book an award room with 3 or less people. Has anybody booked a room at this hotel with 4 people, 2 adults and 2 young children? We really don't spend much time in the room, I just like the location of this hotel. Thanks.
I recently booked a stay here in 2020 for 2 adults and 2 kids (1 in a crib) by booking only for 3 people, using a TSU, and then requesting through my concierge that the reservation be changed to 4 people. The number of people isn’t reflected when I look at my reservation online, but I was assured that it was changed and won’t be a problem. I’ve done the same thing (though not always with TSU) for various other 2020 reservations in Asia and Europe, and nobody has ever pushed back.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 6:51 am

It looks like this hotel and most of Asia and Europe only allow you to book an award room with 3 or less people. Has anybody booked a room at this hotel with 4 people, 2 adults and 2 young children? We really don't spend much time in the room, I just like the location of this hotel. Thanks.
I wrote about this in another thread, so I am copying that post here.

I have contacted the hotels directly via email on five occasions. In all five occasions they replied promptly and with options that were not available via Hyatt.com. On three of the occasions I was able to book any standard room I wanted and have email communication from them that explicitly states that I will be permitted to check in with my two children of ages X and Y even though my reservation does not reflect them. The other two occasions I was advised that I must book upgraded rooms to accommodate my family (and in one case it is simply a deluxe room of same size as the regular) but note these options were not even available directly on Hyatt's website. Anyway, I have only completed one of the stays mentioned and indeed had no issues. We shall see what happens with the future stays. Oh and btw, my hotels were all in Asia. European hotels may be stricter.
Coincidentally I almost did the same for my upcoming stay at GH Taipei, my parents will be in Taipei with us those nights and one of the kids will surely want to stay with them. So there was no need for me to ask in this case.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by RW123
I recently booked a stay here in 2020 for 2 adults and 2 kids (1 in a crib) by booking only for 3 people, using a TSU, and then requesting through my concierge that the reservation be changed to 4 people. The number of people isn’t reflected when I look at my reservation online, but I was assured that it was changed and won’t be a problem. I’ve done the same thing (though not always with TSU) for various other 2020 reservations in Asia and Europe, and nobody has ever pushed back.
Thank you very much for this. I did try calling when I went to Paris last year for a Hilton Hotel and they would not let me do it. They kept trying to push me to book a Suite.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
I wrote about this in another thread, so I am copying that post here.

Coincidentally I almost did the same for my upcoming stay at GH Taipei, my parents will be in Taipei with us those nights and one of the kids will surely want to stay with them. So there was no need for me to ask in this case.
Thank you for this. I tried doing some searches on FlyerTalk as I figured this is a pretty common question, but came up empty. Sorry you had to repeat your answer, but really appreciate you replying.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:58 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Thank you very much for this. I did try calling when I went to Paris last year for a Hilton Hotel and they would not let me do it. They kept trying to push me to book a Suite.
You may want to try your concierge first if you’re globalist. You could also try the Twitter team. I did get push back from the Andaz Munich when I asked them first, and they said that I’d have to book two rooms. Then I tried my concierge, and she confirmed I’d be good to go in one non-suite room with two adults and two kids. The stay isn’t until August, so won’t know how it all pans out until then. But she assured me we’d have no problems at check-in and that it had been cleared by the hotel.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by RW123
You may want to try your concierge first if you’re globalist. You could also try the Twitter team. I did get push back from the Andaz Munich when I asked them first, and they said that I’d have to book two rooms. Then I tried my concierge, and she confirmed I’d be good to go in one non-suite room with two adults and two kids. The stay isn’t until August, so won’t know how it all pans out until then. But she assured me we’d have no problems at check-in and that it had been cleared by the hotel.
Will try that, thanks. I actually just came back from the Andaz Munich for Octoberfest. You will have no problem fitting 4, as the room is pretty spacious for Europe standards. It's also a pretty new hotel, so everything was very clean. Have fun!
hp12c likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 2:03 pm

Thank you for this. I tried doing some searches on FlyerTalk as I figured this is a pretty common question, but came up empty. Sorry you had to repeat your answer, but really appreciate you replying.
No worries, it took me 15 seconds and a few mouse clicks to "repeat" it.

I wonder if a wiki on Hyatt properties with rooms for 2 adults 2 children would be useful? I can't start one but I'd be happy to contribute with the now six data points that I've collected. I see it as being of fairly limited use, but still useful for the few of us who would care.

Also side note: do you live in Colorado?
hp12c likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
No worries, it took me 15 seconds and a few mouse clicks to "repeat" it.

I wonder if a wiki on Hyatt properties with rooms for 2 adults 2 children would be useful? I can't start one but I'd be happy to contribute with the now six data points that I've collected. I see it as being of fairly limited use, but still useful for the few of us who would care.

Also side note: do you live in Colorado?
Yeah, that kind of Wiki would be great. It's just that in-between, where you cannot really book 2 rooms, as the kids are too young, but the hotels are not allowing you to book 1 room. I'm guessing from the hotel's perspective, they do not have a way to differentiate between older kids and younger kids.

No, I do not live in Colorado. I live in the Bay Area.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 9:33 am

Yeah, that kind of Wiki would be great. It's just that in-between, where you cannot really book 2 rooms, as the kids are too young, but the hotels are not allowing you to book 1 room. I'm guessing from the hotel's perspective, they do not have a way to differentiate between older kids and younger kids.

No, I do not live in Colorado. I live in the Bay Area.
Started a thread here: 2 adults + 2 children policies by property

Ha ok. I really thought you were someone I knew...really my only friend in real life who is part of the Hyatt loyalty world. Coincidentally he just took a guys trip to Oktoberfest in Munich and stayed at the Andaz. And he has two young kids so he sometimes talks to me about this very thing lol.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:02 pm

I just tried to do a dummy booking for the New Years 2020-2021 and they are saying that the property is not accepting any award night bookings at this time. I can book award nights up until December 27 check-in, after that date it starts giving me the "unable to book award nights" information. Yet there are cash rates available for their standard rooms, both two twins and one king. Is there something I can do regarding getting award nights opened up?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:04 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by HIFlya
I just tried to do a dummy booking for the New Years 2020-2021 and they are saying that the property is not accepting any award night bookings at this time. I can book award nights up until December 27 check-in, after that date it starts giving me the "unable to book award nights" information. Yet there are cash rates available for their standard rooms, both two twins and one king. Is there something I can do regarding getting award nights opened up?
have you tried multiple nights? When I was searching a month or two ago for New Years availability, the only way to get availability to open up was for a minimum three-night stay if I recall correctly.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
have you tried multiple nights? When I was searching a month or two ago for New Years availability, the only way to get availability to open up was for a minimum three-night stay if I recall correctly.
I originally did multiple nights (like a full week) and it came up with the message so I thought it was because NYE was sold out or something. So I did the individual nights to try to weed out which nights were booked, and every night that week of NY, starting December 27 was not available for award booking but every night had standard rooms available. Even the night of NYE/NYD is available for both types of rooms...and at the standard 7740 NT price. I know I have seen prices for the non-standard rooms almost at $500+ USD for that night because of the date when booked closer in.

My sister had said that she heard the Taipei 101 fireworks are not really that great. That was the only reason we wanted to go there at that time and primarily for the kids, but in all honesty, they might not even stay up that late, so we may end up just not trying to arrange our trip around that date and go some other dates.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 12:38 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

I originally did multiple nights (like a full week) and it came up with the message so I thought it was because NYE was sold out or something. So I did the individual nights to try to weed out which nights were booked, and every night that week of NY, starting December 27 was not available for award booking but every night had standard rooms available. Even the night of NYE/NYD is available for both types of rooms...and at the standard 7740 NT price. I know I have seen prices for the non-standard rooms almost at $500+ USD for that night because of the date when booked closer in.

My sister had said that she heard the Taipei 101 fireworks are not really that great. That was the only reason we wanted to go there at that time and primarily for the kids, but in all honesty, they might not even stay up that late, so we may end up just not trying to arrange our trip around that date and go some other dates.
Interesting. I get a message saying “Unable to return guaranteed availability due to extraordinary demand” when I search for one night 12/31-1/1. However, if I string that night into a multi-night stay (12/31-1/2) I see a 1 King Bed View for $741 as the most basic room available. The rate is a New Year Celebration rate that guarantees a view of 101, covers stays 12/28-1/1, requires a minimum 2-night stay, and has a 30-day cancellation policy.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by hp12c
Interesting. I get a message saying “Unable to return guaranteed availability due to extraordinary demand” when I search for one night 12/31-1/1. However, if I string that night into a multi-night stay (12/31-1/2) I see a 1 King Bed View for $741 as the most basic room available. The rate is a New Year Celebration rate that guarantees a view of 101, covers stays 12/28-1/1, requires a minimum 2-night stay, and has a 30-day cancellation policy.
That is so odd. Are you doing it for this upcoming New Years or next?
Old Dec 11, 2019, 1:05 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

That is so odd. Are you doing it for this upcoming New Years or next?
Totally missed that you were looking out to 2020-2021. Apologies!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.