Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by stillplayswithbarbies
I don't have status with Hyatt but want lounge access. Is there any way to get that upgrade other than booking that rate?
If you have Hyatt points, it's possible to book a regular room paid rate and use points to upgrade to a club room. However, when I've done it I had to call Hyatt to do it, and they said I also had to pay a higher rate on the room. I guess it is like using points + money for the upgrade.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Considering staying here for a couple nights in November because the W really doesn't seem worth the cash rates. No status with Hyatt but I'm thinking of booking the FHR rate since the $100 F&B can be well-spent at the hotel restaurants. Can anyone comment on what's allowed for breakfast on this type of breakfast-included rate, and whether the hotel will be forthcoming with at least a one category upgrade for FHR assuming rooms are available?
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Considering staying here for a couple nights in November because the W really doesn't seem worth the cash rates. No status with Hyatt but I'm thinking of booking the FHR rate since the $100 F&B can be well-spent at the hotel restaurants. Can anyone comment on what's allowed for breakfast on this type of breakfast-included rate, and whether the hotel will be forthcoming with at least a one category upgrade for FHR assuming rooms are available?
I always book the FHR rates when staying at the Grand Hyatt Taipei. This hotel is good at honoring all the FHR benefits. I am a Globalist so the hotel usually upgrades me to a Suite. On the one time that it was not available, I still got a higher category room above the base room.

The breakfast will be in the Cafe. Very good buffet selection, but the restaurant does get quite crowded. You will enjoy!

As for the USD 100 F&B credit, remember that in-room dining is excluded, but you can use the credit in all other restaurants. I usually go to Bel Air Bar - Grill, which has an excellent-value set dinner menu (you can download the menu pdf on the hotel website). The restaurant gives 10% discount, then deducts the USD 100 (converts to TWD 3,000) after that. I am not sure if the 10% discount is for all in-hotel guests, for being a World of Hyatt member, or for being a Globalist member. I never bothered to ask.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I always book the FHR rates when staying at the Grand Hyatt Taipei. This hotel is good at honoring all the FHR benefits. I am a Globalist so the hotel usually upgrades me to a Suite. On the one time that it was not available, I still got a higher category room above the base room.

The breakfast will be in the Cafe. Very good buffet selection, but the restaurant does get quite crowded. You will enjoy!

As for the USD 100 F&B credit, remember that in-room dining is excluded, but you can use the credit in all other restaurants. I usually go to Bel Air Bar - Grill, which has an excellent-value set dinner menu (you can download the menu pdf on the hotel website). The restaurant gives 10% discount, then deducts the USD 100 (converts to TWD 3,000) after that. I am not sure if the 10% discount is for all in-hotel guests, for being a World of Hyatt member, or for being a Globalist member. I never bothered to ask.
Do you receive stay credit at GH TPE when booking via FHR?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I didn't think to ask this since FHR/Virtuoso has always been a qualifying rate for me in SPG/Marriott. Would like to know the answer too though.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:02 am

Yes, I have always received stay credit when booking the Grand Hyatt Taipei via FHR. I think a third of my nights to maintain Globalist was at this hotel! Just give your Hyatt membership number to FHR when you make the booking.
skywalkerLAX and milesforhire like this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:43 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by illico
Is the GHT leaving Hyatt? My mother said she read some recent Taiwan news that it is closing and potentially rebranding but I could not find any English information. Can someone confirm?

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimen...002501-260410#
I don't speak Mandarin, but my friend who lives in HKG told me there was some truth to this rumor. Apparently when the lease is up it will re brand .Only time will tell. He also did say there would be a new Hyatt in Taipei though too. Let me see if I can get more info .
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:00 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by illico
Is the GHT leaving Hyatt? My mother said she read some recent Taiwan news that it is closing and potentially rebranding but I could not find any English information. Can someone confirm?

https://www.chinatimes.com/realtimen...002501-260410#
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I don't speak Mandarin, but my friend who lives in HKG told me there was some truth to this rumor. Apparently when the lease is up it will re brand .Only time will tell. He also did say there would be a new Hyatt in Taipei though too. Let me see if I can get more info .
I posted here on upcoming hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30660915-post1013.html). For Taiwan, there is a Hyatt Regency Kaohsiung, an Andaz Taipeh and an adjacent Park Hyatt Taipeh in the pipeline
milesforhire likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Yes, I have always received stay credit when booking the Grand Hyatt Taipei via FHR. I think a third of my nights to maintain Globalist was at this hotel! Just give your Hyatt membership number to FHR when you make the booking.
Interesting I have to explore the FHR Rate next time. Using Corp right now and the lounge is solid but the restaurants are pretty good.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by 59Impala
I posted here on upcoming hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30660915-post1013.html). For Taiwan, there is a Hyatt Regency Kaohsiung, an Andaz Taipeh and an adjacent Park Hyatt Taipeh in the pipeline
It says that they are building Park Hyatt and Andez there. But Grand Hyatt PR said it’s fake news. Said they cannot confirm.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:29 pm

Interesting I have to explore the FHR Rate next time. Using Corp right now and the lounge is solid but the restaurants are pretty good.
Have you tried Cha Lounge? I saw this on the website and I don't know how I could resist it:
Fancy some meat? Cha Lounge offers meat lovers an ultimate "carving feast" every Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening, including unlimited servings of juicy roast chicken, roast beef, pork knuckles, lamb rack and more.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Have you tried Cha Lounge? I saw this on the website and I don't know how I could resist it:
Not yet but the description makes my mouth water.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:32 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by RedElmo

It says that they are building Park Hyatt and Andez there. But Grand Hyatt PR said it’s fake news. Said they cannot confirm.
I doubt it is fake news. The information comes from the official Hyatt website.
luvFclass and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I doubt it is fake news. The information comes from the official Hyatt website.
I think there's a bit of miscommunication here. I believe that the "fake news" refers only to the rebranding of the GH, which is as yet a mostly unsubstantiated rumor.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Definitely didn't feel the love here as a Glob (and booking two rooms, including paying for a suite). I guess it comes down to the GH just being a big convention hotel and staff here consistently acted as such; there are just too many rooms to offer any sort of individualized service so they don't bother having any sort of service culture. Let's just say that my experience started with a 45-minute wait for check-in - at the lounge! - and it only went downhill from there. FOM/GM were also unresponsive.

For the room rates they were asking, the GH makes for very poor value in Taipei. Obviously for Hyatt loyalists there aren't many (any?) other options in Taipei, but this stay reminded me of why I usually stay at the W when I need to be in Xinyi (even though I typically hate the W brand) and I can't wait until the PH opens in a few years.

Last edited by gengar; Feb 24, 2019 at 9:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.