Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt Taipei REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
We've had 2 longish (11-12 nights) stays here and never had anything but good to exceptional service, including over New Years, the busiest time of the year. Yes it was hectic and the level of service dropped off due to the heavy burden, but I've certainly never seen any lazy staff. Check-in/out at the lounge was excellent and in my opinion anyone with lounge access who goes to the front desk to check-in here (or for that matter just about anywhere) is making a huge mistake.

If the as yet completely unsubstantiated rumor of re-branding turns out to be true I will be very sorry to lose this property. We would very much like to return in late 2020.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
My guess would be Cat 5s.
That would be a bummer, then I wouldn't be able to use the CC certificates, and any other 1-4 certs. :-(
Old Mar 28, 2019, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
We've had 2 longish (11-12 nights) stays here and never had anything but good to exceptional service, including over New Years, the busiest time of the year. Yes it was hectic and the level of service dropped off due to the heavy burden, but I've certainly never seen any lazy staff. Check-in/out at the lounge was excellent and in my opinion anyone with lounge access who goes to the front desk to check-in here (or for that matter just about anywhere) is making a huge mistake.

If the as yet completely unsubstantiated rumor of re-branding turns out to be true I will be very sorry to lose this property. We would very much like to return in late 2020.
Did you go for Chinese New Year or regular New Year?

Once the booking calendar opens up for December 2020-January 2021...I am going to transfer a bunch of UR-Hyatt Points and make my reservation. If there are rooms available when my FN certs post, then even better, but I want to make sure I get those rooms booked!
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:10 pm

Currently staying here for one night. Booked a Points+Cash rate and was upgraded to the Grand Suite.

At check-in, the receptionist specifically told me that I could choose to have breakfast at the Grand Club or at the Cafe on the Ground Floor. I asked whether, as a Globalist, I was entitled to breakfast at either location and she replied yes.
zzap likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't think Taiwan is about 5 star hotels. It is about a local feel. I mean, one of the restaurants I went to in Taipei was about "small eats" (snacks), and it was a fancy place.
And in terms of service, isn't Taiwanese service about flexibility and warmth? At these supposed 5 star restaurants they are trained to be stiff and by the book. And I find it ridiculous. Who are they trying to imitate? British?
Don't forget that the F&B outlets cater mostly to locals and those don't want local eats but a foreign style dining experience. Visitors rarely eat at a hotel restaurant apart from breakfast, they venture out into the city.

I don't agree that people go to Taiwan for "local feel". Maybe while visiting sights but when staying at a hotel 5* are 5* and so are the expectations. As far as that's concerned I think the GH is still one of the best options in town and my upgrades to the Premier Room (I prefer the Premier with 101 view over their Grand Suites with now view) have always been solid.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by yellowmamba
As a Taiwanese it sucks to see so many people discontent with one of the few 5 star hotels we have here in Taipei. However the GH is closing later this year, hopefully the PH and Andaz that'll open in late 2020 will elevate our standards in the hotel industry.
I've gotten great service from non-5* hotels in Taipei, so I don't really see a reason to feel that Taipei hotel service standards are unreasonably low or to be disappointed that some 5* properties have service failures. The big problem at the GH is that when things have gone wrong for me, the service recovery has been essentially nil, which indicates to me that management is just not interested.

And I think there are also clear exceptions - for example, IME at the W Taipei the service is far better than what I've experienced at most W brand hotels.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Currently staying here for one night. Booked a Points+Cash rate and was upgraded to the Grand Suite.

At check-in, the receptionist specifically told me that I could choose to have breakfast at the Grand Club or at the Cafe on the Ground Floor. I asked whether, as a Globalist, I was entitled to breakfast at either location and she replied yes.
When I stayed there recently, I was upgraded to a Premium View King with access to the Grand Club as usual. However no offer of having breakfast at the Cafe was made. And when I asked was told breakfast was only at the Grand Club.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 12:19 am

Not offering standard rooms for award redemption....

I did a dummy booking at the Grand Hyatt Taipei for this upcoming New Year's holidays to test the waters for the real deal the following New Year's holidays. It shows "standard rate" room availability for cash for a single king or two double rooms. Yet, for award redemption, they only show availability for rooms with club access at the club room award rate of 21K Hyatt points. Is this something to let Hyatt know about so I can get access to the standard rate inventory for an award redemption?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:48 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Anyone had any luck with a good tour offering in TPE arranged by this hotel or general advice on that?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Anyone had any luck with a good tour offering in TPE arranged by this hotel or general advice on that?
We booked a private tour through GetYourGuide dot com when we were in Taipei in 2017, and had a great experience, and the cost is very reasonable. You can create a custom itinerary to suit your tastes - I recommend going out to Jiufen in addition to seeing Taipei highlights.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Infinite1K
When I stayed there recently, I was upgraded to a Premium View King with access to the Grand Club as usual. However no offer of having breakfast at the Cafe was made. And when I asked was told breakfast was only at the Grand Club.
Did you book on award or was it a paid rate? For paid rates I was offered to dine downstairs but for award redemption I was told it was the Grand Club only. Personally, the Cafe is just so-so IMHO so I didn't miss it at all.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fangtl
Did you book on award or was it a paid rate? For paid rates I was offered to dine downstairs but for award redemption I was told it was the Grand Club only. Personally, the Cafe is just so-so IMHO so I didn't miss it at all.
Not a very nice way to treat those on award stays...
Old Jul 30, 2019, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by strife
Not a very nice way to treat those on award stays...
The Grand Club is perfectly fine. The Cafe has a lot more selection but the food is not that great imo. It's also quite noisy.

For some really good breakfast, cross Keelung Rd and walk towards the backstreets behind the HiLife. Guangfu market is hustling w/ vendors and stalls until mid-day, and there are countless Chinese and western sit down places in those alleys, many of the vendors are 無名 (name-less/sign-less) so best to get a Taipei food app if you are venturing out.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
Originally Posted by fangtl
I will be staying here over the CNY holidays in Jan 2020 on a paid rate, so I will inquire if The Cafe is eligible for breakfast dining. I have only been offered the lounge as a breakfast dining option in all my previous C&P, cash stays. Definitely disappointing if it's a YMMV policy on either for globbys or anyone else for that matter.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by luvFclass
I will be staying here over the CNY holidays in Jan 2020 on a paid rate, so I will inquire if The Cafe is eligible for breakfast dining. I have only been offered the lounge as a breakfast dining option in all my previous C&P, cash stays. Definitely disappointing if it's a YMMV policy on either for globbys or anyone else for that matter.
It is absolutely YMMV here and unfortunately especially so during high occupancy, which it will certainly be over CNY. At check-in you will likely get a letter stating where you are allowed to take breakfast.
luvFclass likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.