Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
I have an upcoming stay and read the entire thread. I saw some common themes, and thought it would be useful to start a wiki. Please feel free to update or correct anything. I haven't stayed here, so the information is based on the contents of the thread:

- Diamond Suite Upgrades are NOT available at this property.
- Diamond members receive a complimentary full breakfast for up to 4 guests.
- The beds are very firm platform beds. I saw a few posts where a foam pad for the top of the bed was requested.
- Docked cruise ships that may obstruct the view from the Harbour view rooms.
- The hotel is 4 stories.

The concierge desk offers a weekly tour of the Rocks on Saturday.

Link that shows when cruise ships will be docked opposite the hotel:
https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/...ruise-schedule

Room Types and Floorplans:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3404...t-Sydney-Rooms

Expert Review posted in Luxury Forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-reviews/r-wonderful-park-hyatt-sydney-stay-and-city-harbor-view-with-a-few-caveats-1943
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Sydney (Post-Reno) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:46 am

And if I could nitpick, the breakfast at the dining room was quite ordinary. For a hotel of this stature, I was expecting a breakfast similar to that of the Blue Duck Tavern at the PH Washington. The fruit wasn't ripe half the time, and they suffered from a personal bugbear of mine: bacon that isn't crispy. Having said that, a great crew who remembered my drink preference by the second day.

Last edited by carmy; Apr 19, 2014 at 10:09 am
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:17 am

Interesting - I'm going immediately from the PH Sydney to PH Melbourne for a few days in July. Will pay attention to the contrast!
Old Apr 19, 2014, 10:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carmy
For a hotel of this stature
It's still just a PH... That it's in a great location that can justify their rates doesn't make it anything more.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:17 pm

And if I could nitpick, the breakfast at the dining room was quite ordinary. For a hotel of this stature, I was expecting a breakfast similar to that of the Blue Duck Tavern at the PH Washington. The fruit wasn't ripe half the time, and they suffered from a personal bugbear of mine: bacon that isn't crispy. Having said that, a great crew who remembered my drink preference by the second day.
Bacon is not crispy in Australia. That's just how it is.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is going off topic a little, but imagine my horror when I arrived at the park hyatt Melbourne after leaving Sydney.
Not too off topic- I too once had this same transition and was left wondering how the latter hotel ever could have kept the Park Hyatt brand? I thought it would have been a nice Doubletree.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yeah, but it misses out on all the hype :-). And that's what some people seem to be looking for...
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:28 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

My co-mod deleted a few posts that's more appropriate for the PH MEL thread, so please try to keep this thread on the PH SYD.

Peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old May 6, 2014, 2:56 am

I'm headed here in two weeks and can't wait!
Old May 11, 2014, 9:12 pm

Just finished a stay on CC rewards as a Diamond and I have to say, having read this thread for the past six months, I'm scratching my head.

My stay was not just exceptional, but flawless. This is one of the finest properties in the brand if not all brands.

While I can't go in to every detail I will say that I defend the breakfast as great, fresh offerings including off the menu... and service was more than proficient.

I would also highly recommend the 12:30 Rocks tour (I don't know how often they are offering it). Someone mentioned it upthread. Hopefully Johnathan will guide you. This isn't a "history tour." It's a mix of outstanding recommendations for the area (where to go for croc pizza) and personal anecdotes. We went to Lord Nelson, which was on my list anyway, for 1/2 a pint on the hotel, when we arrived back at the hotel had a tray of champagne waiting for us and later in the day was a beautifully wrapped framed picture with me and our guide.

Again, go see Johnathan, he's the absolute best!

On a side note, I transited to the Shangri-La next and had to change rooms it was so despicable. Terrible training (the bell desk doesn't know how to get to Quay from there?!?, concierge sent me to the WRONG train line, 45 minutes to get a drink at the roof bar), and complete lack of cleanliness in my first room (no air conditioning either). They ended up upgrading me to a suite and I still would rather been at the Hyatt by a mile.
Old May 11, 2014, 9:29 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Just finished a stay on CC rewards as a Diamond and I have to say, having read this thread for the past six months, I'm scratching my head.

My stay was not just exceptional, but flawless. This is one of the finest properties in the brand if not all brands.

While I can't go in to every detail I will say that I defend the breakfast as great, fresh offerings including off the menu... and service was more than proficient.

I would also highly recommend the 12:30 Rocks tour (I don't know how often they are offering it). Someone mentioned it upthread. Hopefully Johnathan will guide you. This isn't a "history tour." It's a mix of outstanding recommendations for the area (where to go for croc pizza) and personal anecdotes. We went to Lord Nelson, which was on my list anyway, for 1/2 a pint on the hotel, when we arrived back at the hotel had a tray of champagne waiting for us and later in the day was a beautifully wrapped framed picture with me and our guide.

On a side note, I transited to the Shangri-La next and had to change rooms it was so despicable. Terrible training (the bell desk doesn't know how to get to Quay from there?!?, concierge sent me to the WRONG train line, 45 minutes to get a drink at the roof bar), and complete lack of cleanliness in my first room (no air conditioning either). They ended up upgrading me to a suite and I still would rather been at the Hyatt by a mile.
Breakfast quality varies here as does dining service and for that matter experiences generally
I do agree that typically the experience here in my decades with Hyatt and most other brands makes this one of the better/best Hyatt/hotel experiences anywhere in the world
Old May 12, 2014, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by saaveraward

I have a 6 night stay coming up next week and I can't wait!
Old May 12, 2014, 6:01 am

Had a stay here recently which was good. Blocked into a nice room for early arrival from the USA. They had set out breakfast in the room. Service in the Dining Room was fine this time. Some staff in the lobby a bit snooty, but that is their problem not mine.
Old May 12, 2014, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Jonathan's Rocks tour was a highlight of our stay in Sydney. If it is offered, you absolutely must go.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Jonathan's Rocks tour was a highlight of our stay in Sydney. If it is offered, you absolutely must go.
This is something the hotel puts on?
Old May 13, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
This is something the hotel puts on?
Yes, through the concierge desk.

For us, there was a message sign next to the concierge desk announcing the tour and requesting you sign up with the concierge so they know how many to expect. I think ours was at 12:30 on a Tuesday or similar. Well, WELL worth the time. Jonathan grew up in The Rocks, and knows the area very well. Time well spent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.