Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Best Weather
http://www.holiday-weather.com/maldives/

High season/low season
High season: December to April
Staying for free
30,000 Hyatt points per night (Cat 7)
This is a “Suite Award Ineligible Property" and a free upgrade is unlikely unless you are a Globalist and the resort has low occupancy.

Paid Upgrades For October 2021
Pool Villa: $200++
Deluxe Pool Villa: $400++ (with direct view of beach, just 3 villas)
Water Villa: $500++
Ocean Pool Villa: $700++ (with small 6ft x 6ft plunge pool)
Two Bedroom Pool Villa: $1,000++

These rates fluctuate depending on high/low season.

Globalist Benefits
  • Complimentary upgrade to Park Pool Villa subject to availability.
  • Late checkout at 1600 hrs.subject to availability.
  • Breakfast: Order two main dishes off the menu along with water, juice and coffee. You also have access to the buffet which consists of breads, sweets, cheeses, cold cuts, cereals etc.
  • Sundowner- 1 free cocktail (from a limited cocktail menu) & canapes, daily between 5pm and 7pm (August 2016)
  • Complimentary Management cocktails on Saturdays from 06:30 pm to 07:30 pm
  • 15% off cocktails and wine (by the glass)
Excursion and Diving Costs
January 2022: See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33815708-post4161.html
Also see https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldives.com/ under 'Experiences' and 'Diving'

Tip: Pre-book diving activities online before arrival for 10% discount (May not be applicable anymore).
Tip: Boat 2-tank day will have to be on day following Orientation Dive (required by law for all divers. Typically done the first full day at 10am; a short in-water abilities test followed by a tank dive on the house reef.)

Spa Menu and Costs

Free Stuff
Snorkle gear for duration of your stay (masks, snorkel & fins)
Use of glass-bottomed kayaks
Back-of-the-house tour
Yoga several days a week

Dining Menu and Costs
Menus (click on specific restaurant, packages under "The Dining Room"): https://www.experienceparkhyattmaldi...t-in-maldives/
Breakfast (current as of Jan. 2022): for those who do not have status/do not have breakfast included in their rate, the options are a la carte items at ~$12-$20 apiece, and juices at ~$6-$8. Or you can order the buffet for $40, which includes two a-la-carte items, the buffet, and drinks.

Transfers and Costs
Domestic flights are operated by Maldivian Air and waiting times may vary from a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 4 hours.
The shortest flight from Male Domestic terminal to Kooddoo Domestic Airport is ~55 minutes and the longest flight takes ~1 hour 45 minutes due to a ‘stop over’ in Kadhdhoo Domestic Airport.

A scenic and short speedboat journey of approximately 30-40 minutes (weather dependent) will follow as the final stretch of the journey to our island.
Any last minute name changes on domestic flight ticket are subject to a fee levied by the Maldivian Air. All such changes will be charged at the rate of USD 100 net per person.The exact flight timings are released two days before departure, but tend to be around these times:
  • Arrivals (Departure from MLE) : 10:30-11:00, 12:00, 13:40, 17:30hrs and last flight at 23:30
  • Departures (Departure from Kooddoo) : 0545hrs, 0800hrs, 1130hrs, 1530hrs and last departure at 1830hrs
Cost (Jan 2021): USD $520 round-trip/adult, $475/child, $175/infant - paid before you arrive via cc authorization form

Luggage restriction
Transfer prices include the baggage allowance of 32 kg per passenger (20 kg is the domestic airline allowance and 12 kg will be covered by The Resort as a courtesy service) and hand luggage of 5 kg per passenger. Excess baggage will be charged and is subject to space availability and terms and conditions of the Air Carrier.

Map of the resort
Best Villas
Water villas: Generally the higher number the better. #51 is the most private
How to save money during stay
Have late breakfast (breakfast is free for all guests except if you are redeeming points), skip lunch, and only pay for dinner
The Saturday free cocktail social (manager's reception) is at 6:30pm
Bring family?
This resort is not orientated for children. No kids club, pool is not suitable for young kids, and you will need to pay the transfers for each child, and plenty of PDA.
That said, some families have loved their experience here. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...hadahaa-review. If you bring children the Hyatt does provide sitting service for $20/hour.

Also note that the resort charges $250 per child age 3 and up per night (even if the child does not require an extra bed). Only kids 2 and under are free. http://travelsort.com/blog/park-hyat...a-bed-fee-ever
Wifi
As at January 2022, the resort's wifi speed is 10-12Mbps.
Tipping
The management views employees as each part of a team, with no one more important to the hotel's success. No one wants to order room service if the groundskeeper or housekeeper has not created an inviting place to enjoy it for instance. So employees share equally the 10% service charge added into everything, including the room charge. Tipping beyond that is not necessary, but at your discretion. Unlike the service charge which is shared with all employees on the entire property, if you choose to add additional gratuity to the bill for a meal or an activity, that money is shared amongst employees of the department responsible for that meal or service (e.g. additional gratuity on a dive center bill will be shared amongst those employees, while additional gratuity on a Dining Room bill will be shared amongst the food service employees). Employees are also allowed to keep cash tips that they receive directly. Employees are rewarded with trips and other gifts when their outstanding service is brought to management's attention. A great way to reward a good employee is by letter to management.
See this post which provides more details http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22508516-post1525.html
Ipad App
There is an Ipad in each room that has an app with a lot of useful / interesting information. If you have an Ipad, you can search & download the app for: Park Hyatt Maldives Hadahaa. It doesn't work on an iPhone due to the page size. Some info may be out of date or missing, so check with the resort.
Property Email
Park Hyatt versus other Maldives resorts

Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Grichka
Needless to say I'm a Hyatt fan but from the review I saw, I would have been very troubled and upset to spend such high amount of money to be faced with so-so service and facilities.
I know many nice places in Maldives and if paying 1000 dollar plus per night at a Park Hyatt, it simply has to be perfect.
The place right now seems to be very far from perfection and therefore I hope they will bring it to standart (Park Hyatt standards) asap.
Totally agree. Things have to improve not only to justify bearing the Park Hyatt name but also to justify the kind of price this place is asking. I hope to see improvement soon.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Do people really use TripAdvisor as a source of information? It has the relaiability and credibility of Yelp

A quarter of the posts on TripAdvisor appear to have been written by the property's own marketing department, saturated with glowing compliments and breathless praise that could have been written by a seasoned fabricator with a bachelor's degree in marketing from a third rate university.

Another quarter of the posts were written by the property's direct competitors. Reading these posts conjure an image of the writer foaming at the mouth while composing these spiteful posts dripping with vitriol

I find the Luxury Hotels forum here on flyertalk a much more reliable source of information and opinion on high end properties:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-220/
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by jlcchien
Totally agree. Things have to improve not only to justify bearing the Park Hyatt name but also to justify the kind of price this place is asking. I hope to see improvement soon.
+1. IOf I'm going to the Maldives, and spending good coin to get there, with high expectations that it may be the once in a lifetime chance to go (purportedly the isles will be gone in a decade or two due to rising sea levels), then I'm going all out. Even with 500K HGP points, I would pass on using them and look for the best property on the islands.

You only live once..
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:58 pm

Programs: A few
And you are going to base your decision to go or not to go on two reviews on a public and often exploited web site?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
And you are going to base your decision to go or not to go on two reviews on a public and often exploited web site?
To whom is this post directed at? Assuming me, absolutely not. I have other trusted travel services which I pay for more impartial (subject to individual judgment) reviews.

But like everyone else, I base my decisions on my own research. There's not much other choice than going and trying it out yourself, which for obvious reasons isn't often practical. Site inspections on random atols in the Maldives are a bit difficult to come by for the casual non travel professional.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: CX Diamond / Hyatt Courtesy C./ Hertz
Originally Posted by francophile
Do people really use TripAdvisor as a source of information? It has the relaiability and credibility of Yelp

A quarter of the posts on TripAdvisor appear to have been written by the property's own marketing department, saturated with glowing compliments and breathless praise that could have been written by a seasoned fabricator with a bachelor's degree in marketing from a third rate university.

Another quarter of the posts were written by the property's direct competitors. Reading these posts conjure an image of the writer foaming at the mouth while composing these spiteful posts dripping with vitriol ]
Welcome to the "information overloaded" century, did you just notice that phenomenon on trip advisor? I see it everywhere for everything!
We have never had so much information and this information has never been so unreliable and therefore in absolute need of constant cross checking.
Which is why one has to use several sources, always.
Doing so in the case of the Park Hyatt Maldives, there are clear and reliable information like air con not working well.
If you want to pay 1000 dollars for a room under the maldivian sun with a so so air con, be my guest.
I say Hyatt should fix everything first and then raise their price to whatever level they see fit but charging 1000 dollars for approximate service is a disgrace.

By the way, Hyatt management answered to one of the trip advisor review.

Last edited by Grichka; Jul 12, 2011 at 5:37 pm
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:02 pm

1) Cross checking information from several web sites (including the current thread!!!) shows that this place needs some serious fixing before charging 1000 dollar + a night.
2) Hyatt management answered with appologies to one of the review on trip advisor so I guess that is an indication of some issues raised by legitimate customers.

So yes I'd rather know in advance and avoid spoiled holidays.

Last edited by Grichka; Jul 12, 2011 at 5:31 pm
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:34 pm

Maldives is a very special place.
Each hotel is a separate island.
If you are on the wrong island, if you have unsolved frustration with the hotel service, management, food, room, service etc...., you are stucked there until the last day of your trip. No escape.

Checking the island you will end up on is of utmost importance. especially for this kind of budget.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
1) Cross checking information from several web sites (including the current thread!!!) shows that this place needs some serious fixing before charging 1000 dollar + a night.
2) Hyatt management answered with appologies to one of the review on trip advisor so I guess that is an indication of some issues raised by legitimate customers.

So yes I'd rather know in advance and avoid spoiled holidays.
I know there is a lot of Trip Advisor hate on FT but let's be honest. The A/C and overall condition of the property (especially the OWB) are pretty consistent from review-to-review. The more recent ones have been particularly negative in regards to service. This is very common when Hotel's change ownership.

If anyone, Hyatt or on this Forum, thought the transition of this property would be seamless, they were mistaken. Hyatt needs some time to whip this property into shape. But in the meantime, they need to be honest with themselves and change an appropriate rate for what seems to be a property that needs some renovation and staff changes.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could be they are struggling with new management team... could be that old management team is having a dig at the new via fake Tripadvisor reviews
I haven't been to this hotel in three years, but during the time I was a semi-regular visitor there, the hotel seemed to be almost always in the throes of struggling with a new management team.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:49 pm

Maldives is a very special place.
Each hotel is a separate island.
If you are on the wrong island, if you have unsolved frustration with the hotel service, management, food, room, service etc...., you are stucked there until the last day of your trip. No escape.

Checking the island you will end up on is of utmost importance. especially for this kind of budget.
Exactly.

Which is why I would opt for the best of the best and forgo American chain properties when visiting such an exquisite and once in a lifetime location.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
No you are not. You can always shorten your stay and move to another island. Couple of years ago I was staying at the Hilton property there. The reservation was for 6 nights. After two days I decided to leave because it just wasn't something for me and quite frankly didn't like the place. Flew out the next day.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I haven't been to this hotel in three years, but during the time I was a semi-regular visitor there, the hotel seemed to be almost always in the throes of struggling with a new management team.
The hotel opened in 2009 thus is only two years old. Something doesn't add up with your comment. You were a semi-regular visitor up until a year before it opened?
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:47 am

Having stayed at some nice hotels and resorts like the George V or Amankila, I'd say the Park Hyatt Maldives is an excellent hotel, no doubt. We stayed there 5 nights in June and had a blast. Everyone at the resort went out of their way to make sure everything is fine and reassured us that some tired-looking parts of the resort would be refurbished up to the Park Hyatt standard very soon. Well, there are some spots which are in desperate need of renovation (especially around the pool, cleaning the pool would also help a lot) - but in general the hard product is very nice and stylish. Loved the design. Service was very attentive, daily chit chats with the GM (Pierre), a personal host who not only showed us around, made reservations and took care of little details, but also made us feel very welcome. Maybe it was due to (very...) low occupancy but it was much appreciated, better than any other Park Hyatt we stayed at. Housekeeping is twice a day including turndown and you can tell them when you want your room to be cleaned. F&B was one of the strong points of the hotel, menu and quality was top notch, just the breakfast selection was quite limited and it took them like forever to serve it. One of the restaurant managers also told us if there's anything we would like to have not on the menu we should let him know - so I guess they're flexible (based on the availability of ingredients). We paid 2 nights and used points for the other 3 nights and our bill still came out to ~5,000$ but we felt it was worth it. No FHR rates yet, Centurion travel service wasn't even able to book standard rates. Give them some time, we feel it will be (and already is) one of the best Park Hyatts out there. Oh, and go snorkeling with Arabella (resort's marine biologist), their 'house' reef is magical. We weren't even charged for that. ^^
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by holtju2
No you are not. You can always shorten your stay and move to another island. Couple of years ago I was staying at the Hilton property there. The reservation was for 6 nights. After two days I decided to leave because it just wasn't something for me and quite frankly didn't like the place. Flew out the next day.
Not as easy, especially if you are with a familly of several (let's say 5 changes of plane bookings etc.....) and have planned such costly vacations carefully ahead.
This is not like a week end in Rome, it's a remote and very expensive destination.
By the way, for those who do not intend to scuba dive, half of the interest of the place will be missed.
For those who do intend to do it, this is absolute paradise.

Last edited by Grichka; Jul 18, 2011 at 9:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.