FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 17, 2013, 5:49 pm
thebluejean

Both m0hamed and todorovic have already provided excellent reviews and I just want to add different room types and activities additional to this thread. We stayed 5 nights last month, 3 nights at the overwater villa, 2 nights at the pool villa.

Room Review

Villa 50

The first 3 nights we stayed at villa 50, the over water villa. Although it’s not as private as villa 51, we were very happy with this villa. The villa was beautiful and we still felt very private since we only saw the people in villa 51 once during the three nights we were there. The higher the number of the villa, the villas is closer to the edge to the reef cliff with a lot more corals. It’s amazing to see so many fishes just steps away. These are some photos I took around this villa.

Fish around the villa

More fish

Notes:
- The ladder going down the water can be very slippery and the there is not much to stand in the water below the ladder.
- Try to snorkel during high tide. When it is low tide, you are going to get cut from the corals since there is no much space to snorkel above the corals. We got too excited on the first time and learn our mistake.
- There are orange life jackets in the villa but you shouldn’t use these for snorkeling. These are used for emergency. We didn’t know and our host asked us to go to the dive shop to rent one (US$10 a day). Highly recommend renting the life jacket. Goggles and fins are free of charge at the dive center.
- There is still issue with the window sliding door crack that the room temperature never goes down to 25 C during the day. Mr. Lang is aware of the issue and has promised to change the sliding doors but don’t know when. Probably during the low season (Oct/Nov) of this year.

Villa 26

The last 2 nights we stayed at villa 26. Originally I requested villa 19 but like someone has mentioned in this thread, there is not much “sandy beach” on the east side. After walking around the island few times, we requested to be changed to 25, 26 or 36 with direct ocean view. These villas have direct view with some vegetation so it’s not total exposed like villa 1 or 6. My partner and I just love the pool with the direct ocean view! There are not a lot of people walking so we feel pretty secluded.

View of the Dawn Jetty

Sunrise outside the pool vila

Notes:
- The outdoor shower is one of the best features we like about this villa. However do close the bathroom door since people can see directly into the outdoor shower.
- There is a tiny gap between the outdoor shower walls so it is possible people may see the outdoor tub. Every land villa has this gap.
- One early morning we were awaked by the smell of the diesel fuel. It was so bad that we had to call our host asking if there was any oil leak. Apparently there was a boat that transferred supplies just parked on the Dawn Jetty all night. We talked to a couple stayed on villa 31 which is right next to the jetty and they smell as well. They even heard the motor of the boat all night long. We didn’t hear the boat but sure did smell it.

Activities

We did the guided snorkeling on the house reef, the 3-day couple spa package and yoga.

Day snorkeling

The price is now US$55 instead of $35 before tax/service charge. The guide we had felt very distant and didn’t speak much. The whole time he didn’t point anything or “guide”. We felt we can do this house reef tour by ourselves so save your money. But we did hear the night snorkeling tour was fantastic.

Spa

We did the Ufaa Days spa package.

Ufaa Days

Experience The Vidhun Spa over the course of your stay with us. Three days of our rituals balance and welcome Sehathu into your lives, leaving the both of you
in a state of Ufaa bliss.

day 1 | FINI EVVARU ritual
day 2 | HOONU EVVARU ritual
day 3 | HIKI EVVARU ritual

2 hours each day for three days| US$ 700 per couple

The spa area is made up by the treatment room, changing room with the shower and outdoor resting area where they serve the hot tea after each treatment. The first day involved heating spice scrub and message (our favorite). The second day was the cooling exfoliation, message and facial (my least favorite because it felt super cold with the exfoliation. My partner liked this much better than me.) The third day was moisturizing salt scrub, message and facial which was wonderful. Each spa treatment started with 5 minutes foot message and between scrub and message, a shower was required to wash away the salt or mud.

I would say it’s worth every penny. We feel the price is very reasonable. It breaks out to be around US$59 per hour per person.
Yoga

We took the complimentary yoga classes. There are two classes that are complimentary. One is the sunset yoga at 6 pm (Monday/Thursday) and another one is the sunrise yoga at 7 am (I forget what day since we took the sunset yoga.) The first time I was only one there so it was like a private class which was great. The second class was full so you do want to get there earlier or on time. The yoga instructor was young but she was very knowledgeable.

We also did kayak around the island and did snorkel from the house reef back to the water villa few times.

Last edited by thebluejean; Mar 17, 2013 at 6:05 pm