FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Park Hyatt Maldives REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 31, 2013, 3:18 am
Five Star Traveller

Thanks for the suggestion. I have had wonderful experiences with Four Seasons properties worldwide, and I'm definitely curious how their properties in the Maldives compare. Given the very strong competition in the 5-star luxury class, it doesn't appear the Four Seasons are as leading in the Maldives as in other destinations.

For anyone interested, I managed to get another comparison of Conrad to assist anybody also interested in both resorts.

The question of which island is better is hard to answer to be honest. They each have qualities that make them stand out over other islands in the Maldives. If I had to choose a favorite, it would be Park Hyatt due to it ticking more of my boxes. This is entirely subjective and not to say it is better than Conrad. It is just that it fulfills my vision of a perfect Maldivian paradise, which differs from person to person.

I read both of the comparisons you linked to and frankly think they are just a little bit exaggerated. Conrad does have a more energetic and "big resort vibe", but this is also what I liked about it. The variety of accommodations and dining options at Conrad is one of its signature qualities in addition to its expansive and sprawling grounds. It may look more artificial from the air but I can safely say it does not lack natural beauty. The island of Park Hyatt is indeed more lush and naturally beautiful, but that certainly doesn't mean Conrad is lacking in this regard. Don't be too put-off about the beach groynes or sea walls. They look uglier and more intrusive from aerial pictures than in reality.

I think the comments about the differing sand quality between the two islands are true, as I do remember thinking that Park Hyatt had the softest sand I've stepped on in the Maldives. Again, this is just one of Park Hyatt's defining qualities with respect to other resorts in the Maldives. The other is without a doubt the house reef as you have probably read about extensively elsewhere. It is truly in its own league within the Maldives and the one area that Park Hyatt deserves extensive praise for. But seeing as you have never been to the Maldives before, the house reef at Conrad is more than enough to wow your senses.

Accommodations are where I would give the praise to Conrad due to the variety of villa types and sheer luxury of some of the higher room categories. I was lucky enough to see and experience a variety of villa types at both resorts, which was truly a delight at Conrad given its much more extensive selection. The base or standard level of beach and water villas was of comparable quality at both resorts. Conrad's villas are designed in a traditional thatched motif, while Park Hyatt's are more minimalist and understated in design. It really comes down to a matter of taste, and I wouldn't say one is more beautiful than the other personally. If I had to choose... I would also pick Conrad's beach villas and Park Hyatt's water villas, even despite the latter lacking a plunge pool on the deck. All villas at Park Hyatt are of a similar size and design, so there is nothing that can match the upper echelon of Conrad's accommodations.

Dining is another area Conrad shines. Again, this is due to the sheer variety of dining options at Conrad. There are only two restaurants at Park Hyatt, and both are exclusively à la carte. The quality of food was slightly higher overall at Park Hyatt, but I missed having the number of options and variety of food that Conrad offered. There is also nothing at Park Hyatt that matches the spectacle that is the underwater restaurant at Conrad, one of only two in the Maldives.

I agree with the comments that service is better at Park Hyatt. This was actually more noticeable than I had expected. I don't know if it's because the staff to guest ratio is higher at Park Hyatt, but I was far more impressed with their level of service than I was with Conrad's level of service. With triple the number of rooms as Park Hyatt, there is just a much larger number of guests to serve at Conrad. Moving between the two islands at Conrad was a bit of an annoyance, as I found the transfer service very hit and miss. More often than not, it would have been quicker to just have walked than wait for the buggy or dhoni. It was probably the most bothersome when returning to the water villa island after a long snorkel session on the house reef.

It's also evident that Conrad has a much bigger following than Park Hyatt, particularly in the number of families with small children and repeat visitors. It is by far one of the most popular and recommended resorts, while Park Hyatt still feels undiscovered. There are just a lot more people visiting the Conrad given its long-standing reputation compared to relatively new Park Hyatt. I know for a fact that many visitors are hesitant about the lengthy transfer time to Park Hyatt, especially since they would miss out on the more exciting and impressive seaplane transfer. I saw more guests at Conrad during low season than I did at Park Hyatt during a supposed peak season month, which says a lot about just how quiet and remote Park Hyatt is. It definitely has that desert island paradise atmosphere that is quintessentially Maldives.

For your final question, I'd return to Park Hyatt before Conrad just based on my personal preferences. For a first time visit to the Maldives, you are very fortunate to have the option of two of the very best islands. It is very likely that the Maldives will spoil other tropical destinations for you, especially given your love of shore snorkeling.