Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui - coming in September 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui - coming in September 2013

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I don't travel to Bali. My preferences are Park Hyatts, St Regis, W and Andaz properties, where I always book premium suites. Upon inspection of Hawaii properties the Hyatt ones look outdated, and for the price for even the base rooms seem unreasonable. SPG properties only look marginally better, except, perhaps the St Regis. Obviously they are in high demand, so may be able to justify that price.
Definitely try the St Regis in Kauai. I have the same preferences as you when it comes to hotel brands, and found my experience here to be top-notch (on a C&P stay, that too).
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:10 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Wailea is an excellent place to stay in Maui, so the Andaz option is welcome news.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 9:30 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Obviously they are in high demand, so may be able to justify that price.
They are. The point of my post is that location is everything. For many West Coast Americans, Hawaii is the best thing going within a five-hour flight. For those across the Pacific, there are other options (Bali was just one example), with different standards and cost pressures. Living in San Francisco with a family, there are reasons I'd pay more for the Hualalai than some property in Asia that might be "better" -- and, indeed, I have.

In other words, a blanket statement such as "FS in Hawaii is outdated and overpriced," as you said, may be true relative to one geographical area, but not necessarily to others. Indeed, if Hualalai were objectively "outdated and overpriced" in an absolute sense, it obviously wouldn't be so busy. (I personally don't find the Hualalai "outdated," but that's probably because the place suits my tastes well.)

As for the Andaz Maui, we'll have to see how it comes out and what it costs. If it matches up to other luxury properties in Maui, it will probably be just as expensive. Of course, the design and decor might suit different tastes than the other hotels on the Islands, so that would be a factor for some. And added competition could cause prices to drop somewhat overall.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
I don't travel to Bali. My preferences are Park Hyatts, St Regis, W and Andaz properties, where I always book premium suites.
If this is your preference, I would HIGHLY suggest you take a closer look at Bali...besides being beautiful and having lovely people, the high end hotels there are amazing!
Upon inspection of Hawaii properties the Hyatt ones look outdated, and for the price for even the base rooms seem unreasonable. SPG properties only look marginally better, except, perhaps the St Regis. Obviously they are in high demand, so may be able to justify that price.
While the St. Regis is nice, as mentioned previously, on Kauai, I much prefer the Grand Hyatt. Haualalai is also a very nice property. Can I ask where you typically travel to these hotels in premium suites? It would seem to me there are a lot of good deals to be had in Hawaii right now...especially in high end suites.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Update - 10/16/11

Maui News - 10/16/11
Construction-site prepped for 'un-hotel':
http://mauinews.com/page/content.det...l-.html?nav=10
Old Oct 16, 2011, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
A veritable panoply of hotel company names in this property's extensive history.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Maui News - 10/16/11
Thanks for posting ^ I've enjoyed my stays at Andaz Liverpool & WeHo and look forward to the property in Maui! Now Hyatt just needs to develop a presence in Kona!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Thanks for posting ^ I've enjoyed my stays at Andaz Liverpool & WeHo and look forward to the property in Maui! Now Hyatt just needs to develop a presence in Kona!
Agreed^
Old Oct 18, 2011, 1:00 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by W2B Globetrotter
Maui News - 10/16/11
Given that demolition is about to begin, with construction scheduled for next year, I wonder if we'll even see it open in 2012.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:55 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Given that demolition is about to begin, with construction scheduled for next year, I wonder if we'll even see it open in 2012.
Highly unlikely, given the size of the project, isn't it?

Shame, I was delaying a Hawaii trip expecting a 2012 opening date. The other Hyatt properties look very dated.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:35 am
Suspended

Looks like they're expecting it to open the first quarter of 2013:

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/p...andaz-lux.html
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:12 am

FWIW, Andaz.com says "Under development for 2014"
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: their are many of them
is this hyatt going to be a golf resort like the grand Hyatt Kaui ? if so I wonder who will be designing the golf course
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Firewind
This will be an interesting extension of the concept... An Andaz resort? My impression has been that Andaz has had an urban theme at its core.
They are also opening an Andaz resort in the Turks and Caicos
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:31 am

Fantastic!!^

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Sitting on balcony at the HR Waikiki [great stay thus far] and saw the following headline in the Honolulu Star:

"Maui hotel to be redeveloped under Hyatt's Andaz Brand"

For more information, here's a link to the press release

FYI: I searched using a variety of terms including Andaz Hawaii, Maui and Wailea and didn't find a prior post - if I missed an existing thread, my apologies - please merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.