FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Andaz Maui - coming in September 2013 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1139851-andaz-maui-coming-september-2013-a.html)

bdemaria Oct 23, 2010 12:42 pm

Andaz Maui - coming in September 2013

Sitting on balcony at the HR Waikiki [great stay thus far] and saw the following headline in the Honolulu Star:

"Maui hotel to be redeveloped under Hyatt's Andaz Brand"

For more information, here's a link to the press release

FYI: I searched using a variety of terms including Andaz Hawaii, Maui and Wailea and didn't find a prior post - if I missed an existing thread, my apologies - please merge

huskergreg Oct 23, 2010 4:03 pm

It's the former Renaissance Wailea which closed in 2007.

peteropny Oct 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 14999641)
FYI: I searched using a variety of terms including Andaz Hawaii, Maui and Wailea and didn't find a prior post - if I missed an existing thread, my apologies - please merge

No apologies needed - this is the first mention of this "potential" new property :) Thank you for letting us know.

Firewind Oct 23, 2010 8:37 pm

This will be an interesting extension of the concept... An Andaz resort? My impression has been that Andaz has had an urban theme at its core. And formerly a Renaissance? Aren't Renaissances formerly something else, renaissanced?

And this will be a partnership of Hyatt and Starwood? Or is this Starwood different from the Sheraton|Westin|W etc. one?

bsdstone Oct 23, 2010 9:06 pm

SWEET! This will be very interesting to see what concept/market they try to appeal to!

SanDiego1K Oct 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind (Post 15001464)
And this will be a partnership of Hyatt and Starwood? Or is this Starwood different from the Sheraton|Westin|W etc. one?

A substantial part of the Starwood Capital portfolio is in non Starwood hotel brands. In fact, we move info about Starwood Capital properties from the Starwood forum to the Newstand forum.

Firewind Oct 23, 2010 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 15001601)
A substantial part of the Starwood Capital portfolio is in non Starwood hotel brands. In fact, we move info about Starwood Capital properties from the Starwood forum to the Newstand forum.

Thank you, SanDiego1K. I also at first wondered if "Starwood Capital" were a hotel management group. I always remember talking with the GM of the Summerfield Suites in Belmont, CA, who had just been transferred from a nearby Marriott property by their common franchiser/management company. I'm glad someone has a good scorecard, especially the mods. :)

LIH Prem Oct 23, 2010 10:50 pm

At one time, that property was going to be a St. Regis. Anybody remember that?

Anyway, here's a link to the article the OP mentioned:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine...daz_brand.html

hiltonlondon2009 Oct 24, 2010 12:33 am

Good stuff. But with a couple of hotels already in Hawaii, it would be nice if they focused more on overseas markets. Hyatt's always done overseas expansion the right way and I certainly understand that, but it would be pretty cool if we had more European or S. American options.

m0hamed Oct 24, 2010 3:20 am

Very exciting!

Considered Hawaii for a vacation, but until accommodation options improve from both Hyatt and *wood, I won't be making the 10 hour flight. Even looked at RC and FS chains but they all appear to be incredibly outdated and overpriced.

ctownflyer Oct 24, 2010 9:19 am

I'm excited to finally have a hotel in Wailea to redeem points for!!!

macguitar Oct 24, 2010 11:06 am

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009 (Post 15002136)
Good stuff. But with a couple of hotels already in Hawaii, it would be nice if they focused more on overseas markets. Hyatt's always done overseas expansion the right way and I certainly understand that, but it would be pretty cool if we had more European or S. American options.

Agreed. Hyatt needs more properties in Germany particularly. I travel there quite a bit and there's currently no Hyatt in Munich, for example.

bdemaria Oct 24, 2010 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by macguitar (Post 15003799)
Agreed. Hyatt needs more properties in Germany particularly. I travel there quite a bit and there's currently no Hyatt in Munich, for example.

Since we're threadjacking, if we are seriously talking about the need for new properties in Europe, then Spain [no Hyatts] and Italy [one] have far fewer options than Germany.

nnn Oct 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 15002391)
Very exciting!

Considered Hawaii for a vacation, but until accommodation options improve from both Hyatt and *wood, I won't be making the 10 hour flight. Even looked at RC and FS chains but they all appear to be incredibly outdated and overpriced.

I wouldn't agree with this statement for West Coast Americans, particularly with regard to Four Seasons properties in Hawaii. But maybe if I had Bali nearby, as you do, I'd feel differently. Also, the GH Kauai is pretty nice.

In any event, it would be great to see an upscale Hyatt property in the Wailea area, if anything because more competition is always good.

m0hamed Oct 24, 2010 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by nnn (Post 15004382)
I wouldn't agree with this statement for West Coast Americans, particularly with regard to Four Seasons properties in Hawaii. But maybe if I had Bali nearby, as you do, I'd feel differently. Also, the GH Kauai is pretty nice.

In any event, it would be great to see an upscale Hyatt property in the Wailea area, if anything because more competition is always good.

I don't travel to Bali. My preferences are Park Hyatts, St Regis, W and Andaz properties, where I always book premium suites. Upon inspection of Hawaii properties the Hyatt ones look outdated, and for the price for even the base rooms seem unreasonable. SPG properties only look marginally better, except, perhaps the St Regis. Obviously they are in high demand, so may be able to justify that price.