Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui - coming in September 2013

Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

Sitting on balcony at the HR Waikiki [great stay thus far] and saw the following headline in the Honolulu Star:

"Maui hotel to be redeveloped under Hyatt's Andaz Brand"

For more information, here's a link to the press release

FYI: I searched using a variety of terms including Andaz Hawaii, Maui and Wailea and didn't find a prior post - if I missed an existing thread, my apologies - please merge
Old Oct 23, 2010, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Intercontinental, Avis Chairman's Club
It's the former Renaissance Wailea which closed in 2007.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:01 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bdemaria
FYI: I searched using a variety of terms including Andaz Hawaii, Maui and Wailea and didn't find a prior post - if I missed an existing thread, my apologies - please merge
No apologies needed - this is the first mention of this "potential" new property Thank you for letting us know.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
This will be an interesting extension of the concept... An Andaz resort? My impression has been that Andaz has had an urban theme at its core. And formerly a Renaissance? Aren't Renaissances formerly something else, renaissanced?

And this will be a partnership of Hyatt and Starwood? Or is this Starwood different from the Sheraton|Westin|W etc. one?

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 23, 2010 at 8:46 pm
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
SWEET! This will be very interesting to see what concept/market they try to appeal to!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Firewind
And this will be a partnership of Hyatt and Starwood? Or is this Starwood different from the Sheraton|Westin|W etc. one?
A substantial part of the Starwood Capital portfolio is in non Starwood hotel brands. In fact, we move info about Starwood Capital properties from the Starwood forum to the Newstand forum.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, AA 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
A substantial part of the Starwood Capital portfolio is in non Starwood hotel brands. In fact, we move info about Starwood Capital properties from the Starwood forum to the Newstand forum.
Thank you, SanDiego1K. I also at first wondered if "Starwood Capital" were a hotel management group. I always remember talking with the GM of the Summerfield Suites in Belmont, CA, who had just been transferred from a nearby Marriott property by their common franchiser/management company. I'm glad someone has a good scorecard, especially the mods.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 10:50 pm

At one time, that property was going to be a St. Regis. Anybody remember that?

Anyway, here's a link to the article the OP mentioned:

http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine...daz_brand.html
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Good stuff. But with a couple of hotels already in Hawaii, it would be nice if they focused more on overseas markets. Hyatt's always done overseas expansion the right way and I certainly understand that, but it would be pretty cool if we had more European or S. American options.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 3:20 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Very exciting!

Considered Hawaii for a vacation, but until accommodation options improve from both Hyatt and *wood, I won't be making the 10 hour flight. Even looked at RC and FS chains but they all appear to be incredibly outdated and overpriced.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I'm excited to finally have a hotel in Wailea to redeem points for!!!
Old Oct 24, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro/4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
Good stuff. But with a couple of hotels already in Hawaii, it would be nice if they focused more on overseas markets. Hyatt's always done overseas expansion the right way and I certainly understand that, but it would be pretty cool if we had more European or S. American options.
Agreed. Hyatt needs more properties in Germany particularly. I travel there quite a bit and there's currently no Hyatt in Munich, for example.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by macguitar
Agreed. Hyatt needs more properties in Germany particularly. I travel there quite a bit and there's currently no Hyatt in Munich, for example.

Since we're threadjacking, if we are seriously talking about the need for new properties in Europe, then Spain [no Hyatts] and Italy [one] have far fewer options than Germany.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:26 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Very exciting!

Considered Hawaii for a vacation, but until accommodation options improve from both Hyatt and *wood, I won't be making the 10 hour flight. Even looked at RC and FS chains but they all appear to be incredibly outdated and overpriced.
I wouldn't agree with this statement for West Coast Americans, particularly with regard to Four Seasons properties in Hawaii. But maybe if I had Bali nearby, as you do, I'd feel differently. Also, the GH Kauai is pretty nice.

In any event, it would be great to see an upscale Hyatt property in the Wailea area, if anything because more competition is always good.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 4:39 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nnn
I wouldn't agree with this statement for West Coast Americans, particularly with regard to Four Seasons properties in Hawaii. But maybe if I had Bali nearby, as you do, I'd feel differently. Also, the GH Kauai is pretty nice.

In any event, it would be great to see an upscale Hyatt property in the Wailea area, if anything because more competition is always good.
I don't travel to Bali. My preferences are Park Hyatts, St Regis, W and Andaz properties, where I always book premium suites. Upon inspection of Hawaii properties the Hyatt ones look outdated, and for the price for even the base rooms seem unreasonable. SPG properties only look marginally better, except, perhaps the St Regis. Obviously they are in high demand, so may be able to justify that price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.