Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2013, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
This version of the Hyatt card (with its 2 free nights offer) has been discontinued as of June 29, 2017.

There is a new version.

See this thread
:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...ed-2018-a.html

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

What are the benefits of the card?
  • 3 points/dollar spent at Hyatt
  • 2 points per dollar spent at restaurants, airfare, car rental
  • 1 point for all other charges
  • No foreign exchange fee
  • Annually, on renewal, one free night at up to a category 4 hotel and is valid for 12 months
When will I receive the sign up bonus?
Typically a day or two after the close of the billing cycle in which you reach spend threshold.
When do the signup points from this card offer expire?
If you have no activity on your Hyatt account for 24 months your points will expire.
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards, 2017 onward.
It's a Chase Card. Does that mean that if I have more than 5 new open lines of credit in 24 months, I will be automatically denied?
This card is not currently under the 5 cards in 24 months Chase application restriction.
It looks like the Hyatt website will let me use my anniversary category 1-4 cert for any property, including those above category 4. Is this for real?
No. Even if the system accepts your attempted reservation, the property will not honor the cert at check-in. Accept the fact that your cat 4 cert is just that.
Can I use my anniversary category 1-4 cert at a higher-category property with a cash co-pay? By paying the difference in points? By asking nicely?
No. No. No.
Can I use my annual free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused points or annual free-night certificate?
No. Unused points already in your Hyatt account as well as the annual free-night award remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.

Questions related to the (now expired) 2 Free Night card offer:

When do the signup bonus free-night awards for this card expire?
The awards expire one year from the date of deposit (typically the date on which the required spend is met, which may fall in the middle of a billing cycle). All stays must be completed by the expiration date.
When I view my free-night awards, why is the button to start the redemption/booking process missing?
You no longer need to go through the My Awards page to book a free-night cert. Simply start the booking process as if requesting an award stay using points.
When I try to book a multiple-night award stay, why does the Hyatt website show availability for points redemptions but not for Free Night Awards?
You will need to redeem the free-night certs one at a time in separate single-night reservations if you want to do it online. For example, if you want to book the Park Hyatt Sydney for December 14-16, you will book the night of the 14th to 15th as one stay, and then repeat the process for the night of the 15th to 16th. Otherwise, call Hyatt to make the booking.
If I can't use my free-night award by the expiration date, can I exchange it for points or get the expiration extended?
According to the FT Hyatt GP Concierge, as of January 22, 2016, there are 2 options for compensation for the initial (all-category) Free Night Awards:
  • Platinum guests: Hyatt offers 10,000 points per Award if the Member has had 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in the previous 12 months. The 10,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
  • Diamond guests: Hyatt offers 20,000 points per Award if the Member has achieved Diamond status by achieving 25 stays or 50 nights or completing a trial tier offer within the last 12 months. The 20,000 points per award exchange can only be done after the award night has expired. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which required the award to be unexpired.) Members have up to 90 days beyond the expiration of the unused award night to exchange for points.
These policies will reportedly remain in effect after the March 1, 2017 transition from Hyatt Gold Passport to the new World of Hyatt program.

Anniversary Awards valid in Category 1-4 hotels are not eligible for extension. (This is the opposite of the old rule, which allowed a one-time 30-day extension.)
Can I use the sign-up free night cert for a suite or Club-level room, possibly with a cash or point copay?
Officially, no. But there's no harm in contacting an individual property directly to see what they're willing to do.
If I close my card account, do I lose any unused free-night certificates?
No. Unused free-night awards remain available in your Hyatt account regardless of the status of your Chase card.
Print Wikipost

The Hyatt Rewards Card from Chase (WIKI)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by xolerf
Searched the thread and couldn't find a good answer, so forgive me in advance if this has been answered.

I currently have 2 free nights from the Hyatt credit card. We are traveling to Japan (Tokyo & Kyoto) in April and I want to use my 2 free nights at either the Park Hyatt Tokyo or the Grand Hyatt Tokyo. The only problem is that there are 3 of us and I called the Platinum line and per the T&C, was told that we could not book a free standard room for 3 people. I asked if we could pay the difference to a deluxe room and was told the certs have "no cash value" so I would need to pay outright for a deluxe room. The only other option given was booking two rooms. I understand the rooms there are much smaller than a Western hotel, but I'm not sure what to do. The CSR even stated that they hotel would turn away parties if the number of people was more than what the reservation said.

Any ideas?
I had a similar situation. I had two free nights and wanted to pay the difference in pts to upgrade to regency club access (Hyatt lost pines). I called HGP twice. First time they would not help me and told me that i could not do it. The second time they said they would put a request in and that I would need to call the hotel directly to confirm. I called the hotel and they confirmed they would upgrade me at no additional charge for those two nights.

YMMV of course, but i would say keep on calling HGP till you get a nice rep that wants to help and then call the hotel directly.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum
That's a good idea and it's definitely worth a try. I would hate to book my award night online and then call and be denied a paid upgrade. Perhaps I could call the hotel and explain I am booking an award night and that I want to upgrade that room to deluxe in order to accommodate 3 people? Either way, I will try.

I'll post the results.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 2:26 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

That's a good idea and it's definitely worth a try. I would hate to book my award night online and then call and be denied a paid upgrade. Perhaps I could call the hotel and explain I am booking an award night and that I want to upgrade that room to deluxe in order to accommodate 3 people? Either way, I will try.

I'll post the results.
I'd probably go ahead with booking before contacting the property - if they agree to do it, then there's a reservation to modify.

Also, no reason to keep calling GP, since they can't confirm upgrades - you'll have to contact the property anyways.

You can always cancel the award reservation made (subject to cancellation policies) if they can't accomodate you.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
I'd probably go ahead with booking before contacting the property - if they agree to do it, then there's a reservation to modify.

Also, no reason to keep calling GP, since they can't confirm upgrades - you'll have to contact the property anyways.

You can always cancel the award reservation made (subject to cancellation policies) if they can't accomodate you.
So, I went ahead and booked two award nights in Tokyo. Unfortunately, I could not get both nights at the Park Hyatt so the first night is at PHT and the second night is at GHT. I did this because I was told I could change my second night to the PHT if availability opened up.

I then called PHT and gave them my confirmation number and asked if I could upgrade my room to a deluxe twin as there would be 3 adults in my party. At first the concierge was confused but ultimately offered to upgrade the room for a little bit of money. I agreed and he confirmed that I would have a deluxe twin when I check in.

The issue now is that I want to stay both nights in the PHT rather than shuffling properties. Should I just hope for award availability to open up at the PHT? We are arriving there in mid-April so there is a bit of time before we arrive. Because if award availability opens up, I could change my GHT to the PHT and just call the PHT and confirm the upgrade for both nights. I could just stay both nights at the GHT but I really wanna stay at the PHT.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:26 pm

So, I went ahead and booked two award nights in Tokyo. Unfortunately, I could not get both nights at the Park Hyatt so the first night is at PHT and the second night is at GHT. I did this because I was told I could change my second night to the PHT if availability opened up.

I then called PHT and gave them my confirmation number and asked if I could upgrade my room to a deluxe twin as there would be 3 adults in my party. At first the concierge was confused but ultimately offered to upgrade the room for a little bit of money. I agreed and he confirmed that I would have a deluxe twin when I check in.

The issue now is that I want to stay both nights in the PHT rather than shuffling properties. Should I just hope for award availability to open up at the PHT? We are arriving there in mid-April so there is a bit of time before we arrive. Because if award availability opens up, I could change my GHT to the PHT and just call the PHT and confirm the upgrade for both nights. I could just stay both nights at the GHT but I really wanna stay at the PHT.
Why not pay for one night? I certainly wouldn't move all the way to Ginza for an only 2 day trip to Tokyo. HR Tokyo is very close to PHT, so that would be a more practical choice.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by The_Wrath_of_Khan
Why not pay for one night? I certainly wouldn't move all the way to Ginza for an only 2 day trip to Tokyo. HR Tokyo is very close to PHT, so that would be a more practical choice.
Agreed if doing HR -> PH, but PH -> HR is a sad way to end the trip.

If one diligently checks the site, there's a good chance that award availability would open up, but of course there's no guarantee.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Agreed if doing HR -> PH, but PH -> HR is a sad way to end the trip.

If one diligently checks the site, there's a good chance that award availability would open up, but of course there's no guarantee.
Well, things changed. We are now staying Thursday and Friday at the Grand Hyatt. I know it's not as nice as the PHT, but I hear the location is better and I can always change to the PHT if availability opens up.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
They just tried to offer me the card over the phone (Dealing with HGP) and I asked them about the two free nights in a suite when applying if you are already Platinum. They said that's no longer the case? Maybe I missed reading it somewhere.

Just found an article from the end of October. Guess it's been a while.

Last edited by britishcanuck; Jan 16, 2014 at 7:12 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:13 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by britishcanuck
They just tried to offer me the card over the phone (Dealing with HGP) and I asked them about the two free nights in a suite when applying if you are already Platinum. They said that's no longer the case? Maybe I missed reading it somewhere.

Just found an article from the end of October. Guess it's been a while.
Never was free suite nights for Plat anyways - it was 2 free nights in regular room and 2 suite upgrade Certs for revenue stays. But as you've noted, suites are no longer offered anyways.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Just got the same bonus that showed up late last year...5,000 bonus points for $3k in spend. Runs 1/1 to 3/1. Yes please!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Just got the same bonus that showed up late last year...5,000 bonus points for $3k in spend. Runs 1/1 to 3/1. Yes please!
I set up my account for receiving promotions after the-promotion-that-must-not-be-named last October, but I still never receive anything like this.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by callmedtop
This is going to be the third time that I'm going to take advantage of this deal. 2.66 Hyatt points per dollar spent is a good deal.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
What is the timeline for the upgrade to Plat status after activating the card?
Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
What is the timeline for the upgrade to Plat status after activating the card?
For me my status updated in one business day.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 12:50 pm

So I'm not all the way through this thread yet, but I've got a couple questions that I've seen conflicting reports about:

Some reports say that availability for the 2 free nights (sign up bonus) is the same as standard award availability. Some say it's different. Can someone confirm?

Also, I've seen reports that you can reserve a room before your 2 free nights actually post. Is that true? Mine won't come through for another couple weeks, and I'm concerned about the PH Sydney removing availability before then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.