[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:25 pm

Just returned

I just got back from Venice, here are some notes I typed on the return flight regarding the hotel and city.

The Hotel
• There were no complications with the hotel or staff from check-in through checkout. I am waiting for the credit card charge to go through and will share any charges that were added, however I don’t expect any.
• Breakfast was included and honored with the rate. The breakfast was ok and was open from 6:00AM – 10:00AM. Definitely worth it if you want to save time and a few bucks before setting out for the day.
• The hotel also honored the complimentary roundtrip transfer to/from the airport. I let the hotel know in advance my arrival flight information, and was met by a driver outside the baggage claim exit. The hotel is about a 15-minute drive from VCE.
• The hotel was nice, and the room was comfortable. Internet was available through an ethernet connection for a charge. The ethernet cable was hiding behind the TV.
• The hotel sells train tickets to/from Venice at a cost of 2,35€ each way. The train station is next to the hotel as advertised, the walk to the station should not take any longer than 2 minutes from the lobby. REMEMBER to get your ticket stamped in the yellow boxes before boarding the train. Plan for about 25-minutes travel time each way. The train only makes about 5 or 6 stops
• The hotel provided a train schedule to/from Venice. The trains do not run on regular intervals, but do run all day with very late returns; however Venice did close down and empty out for the day by about 5:00PM so there may not be much reason to stay in the city to late in the evening.

Venice
• With proper planning in advance, you can see most of the city in 1.5 to 2 days. I bought a guide book, however I found Wikitravel to be about 95% accurate/helpful. Consider reading the section in its entirety before buying a book and/or making your Venice plans.
• Venice was worth seeing, however be prepared that it extremely tourist oriented, which I found disappointing.
• • Sit down restaurants are plentiful yet rather expensive, and not that great of quality IMHO. Shops selling panini’s, pizza, gelato and other snack foods are plentiful and are probably the way to go for the most part. For a first and second course with wine, plan for at least 40€ per person.
• I recommend the standard sights around Venice, such as Piazza San Marco (St. Mark’s Basilica, the Doge Palace, and the Bell tower). There are also a few museums in Piazza San Marco that I did not see. A ticket for about 13€ will get you entrance to the Doge Palace and Correr Museum (Venice History Museum)
• Plan for about 2-hours for the audio guide tour of the Doge Palace. I tried to book a “Secret Itinerary” tour, however they were sold out for through the following weekend.
• It is possible to go to the top of the bell tower for an 8€ fee. Try to bring exact change. You get to the top of tower via an elevator, not by stairs. If you ever wondered what it would be like to be in a bell tower with the bells ringing a few feet above your head, time your visit around the top of the hour. I wasn’t curious, but found out inadvertently.
• Just south of Piazza San Marco is the beautifully reconstructed opera house. An audio guide is available for about 8€ and will run about 45-minutes.
• One of my favorite attractions was the Jewish Ghetto section of Venice. This is the first “Ghetto” in the world, and if you take the tour which visits literally the oldest synagogues in Europe, you will learn how the word Ghetto was created. A guided tour will cost 7€ and lasts about 45-minutes.
• Spend some time wondering around the city and getting lost. It is a beautiful.
• If you are spending more than the two nights in Venice, research some possible day trips outside of Venice. I didn’t have time, but would consider them if I was staying longer or return.

I will be happy to answer any additional questions.
320Fan

Last edited by A320Fan; Oct 6, 2009 at 5:33 pm Reason: typos
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Thanks much A320Fan for the first report.
All sounds fine; I didn't remember that breakfast was included.

Took me a minute to understand:
"Sit down restraints are plentiful yet rather expernsive"
but I will now plan on bringing my own restraints.

I am studying up whether a car rental would be
a good idea to explore other areas,
although I am sure trains work fine for Verona, Padua, etc.
Still have six months to work that out....

Did you notice the price for the hotel internet?
Thanks again.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by A320Fan
I just got back from Venice, here are some notes I typed on the return flight regarding the hotel and city.

The Hotel
• There were no complications with the hotel or staff from check-in through checkout. I am waiting for the credit card charge to go through and will share any charges that were added, however I don’t expect any.
• Breakfast was included and honored with the rate. The breakfast was ok and was open from 6:00AM – 10:00AM. Definitely worth it if you want to save time and a few bucks before setting out for the day.
• The hotel also honored the complimentary roundtrip transfer to/from the airport. I let the hotel know in advance my arrival flight information, and was met by a driver outside the baggage claim exit. The hotel is about a 15-minute drive from VCE.
• The hotel was nice, and the room was comfortable. Internet was available through an ethernet connection for a charge. The ethernet cable was hiding behind the TV.
• The hotel sells train tickets to/from Venice at a cost of 2,35€ each way. The train station is next to the hotel as advertised, the walk to the station should not take any longer than 2 minutes from the lobby. REMEMBER to get your ticket stamped in the yellow boxes before boarding the train. Plan for about 25-minutes travel time each way. The train only makes about 5 or 6 stops
• The hotel provided a train schedule to/from Venice. The trains do not run on regular intervals, but do run all day with very late returns; however Venice did close down and empty out for the day by about 5:00PM so there may not be much reason to stay in the city to late in the evening.

Venice
• With proper planning in advance, you can see most of the city in 1.5 to 2 days. I bought a guide book, however I found Wikitravel to be about 95% accurate/helpful. Consider reading the section in its entirety before buying a book and/or making your Venice plans.
• Venice was worth seeing, however be prepared that it extremely tourist oriented, which I found disappointing.
• Sit down restraints are plentiful yet rather expernsive, and not of that great of quality IMHO. Shops selling panini’s, pizza, gelato and other snack foods are plentiful and are probably the way to go for the most part. For a first and second course with wine, plan for at least 40€ per person.
• I recommend the standard sights around Venice, such as Piazza San Marco (St. Mark’s Basilica, the Doge Palace, and the Bell tower). There are also a few museums in Piazza San Marco that I did not see. A ticket for about 13€ will get you entrance to the Doge Palace and Correr Museum (Venice History Museum)
• Plan for about 2-hours for the audio guide tour of the Doge Palace. I tried to book a “Secret Itinerary” tour, however they were sold out for through the following weekend.
• It is possible to go to the top of the bell tower for an 8€ fee. Try to bring exact change. You get to the top of tower via an elevator, not by stairs. If you ever wondered what it would be like to be in a bell tower with the bells ringing a few feet above your head, time your visit around the top of the hour. I wasn’t curious, but found out inadvertently.
• Just south of Piazza San Marco is the beautifully reconstructed opera house. An audio guide is available for about 8€ and will run about 45-minutes.
• One of my favorite attractions was the Jewish Ghetto section of Venice. This is the first “Ghetto” in the world, and if you take the tour which visits literally the oldest synagogues in Europe, you will learn how the word Ghetto was created. A guided tour will cost 7€ and lasts about 45-minutes.
• Spend some time wondering around the cit.. It is a beautiful city, and great for wondering around and getting lost.
• If you are spending more than the two nights in Venice, research some possible day trips outside of Venice. I didn’t have time, but would consider them if I was staying longer or return.

I will be happy to answer any additional questions.
320Fan
Great feedback.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: aeroplan E .HH.
Thank you A320FAN

Great report . Will now book 1 extra nite @regular rate 85 euro ish cheers
Old Oct 6, 2009, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
that's great news! Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, IHG Gold, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the review. Great report. Looking forward to my visit in July.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Thank you, A320Fan!
Old Oct 6, 2009, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the Wonderful report. I am scheduled for my visit in early December. I plan to visit the Christmas Market as well.
Cats
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: AC Fly-Free-Forever Winner
Great trip report, A320Fan! I am looking forward to my trip to Venice next year.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
That's a nice report. I traded my nights in, but the transfer and breakfast options might have changed my mind about one group of nights. I know that when a hotel chain acts in a upright manner like this, I'm much more likely to stay more nights.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: Starwood Gold
Thanks for the post. I'm still determining whether to go for a quick pre-Christmas trip. Anyone have insights into the Christmas markets?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Thanks, A320Fan. Enjoyed reading your report.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 12:25 pm

Thanks for that. Any news on eating places near the Hotel for the evening?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
great report and useful tips, looking fwd to this a lot, !
thanks
Old Oct 16, 2009, 4:38 pm

My sister is enjoying her stay at this hotel this past week. The driver did come and pick them up from the airport and the breakfast was included. She was surprised to find an American style breakfast as opposed to a continental breakfast. Will ask her which local places she ate at for dinner when she returns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.