[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Crowne Plaza Venice East Quarto D Altino 1€

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:39 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I doubt IHG can just self-impose some rate on them. Since this is a somewhat unique situation, the hotel would have to negotiate with IHG to come up with an acceptable compromise.

Taking into account the potential for lost revenue because of this, and also the fact that on many days the hotel would not have been full anyway (so those days cost nothing), plus the fact that at this price there will be a high no-show rate, it will probably be somewhere between the award night rate and the lowest market rate.
I agree with this analysis. With the number of room nights that were blocked (1,400) scattered over 16 months, this will have little effect on occupancy at a 150 room hotel. Worst case scenario might be fifteen rooms, for three or four specific dates over that long period.

While there are certainly dates that the hotel is full over an annual period (due to a congress, tour groups, etc.), my suspicion is most of the time their occupancy is no better than 55%. A modest reimbursement rate of even 30 Euros is not going to hurt the hotel, due to the incremental revenue opportunities.

P.S. as to the comment about the low rates of Italian extra gratuities, you're right, I had forgotten about that practice. To make up for it, I'll just buy some high margin booze at their public bar!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by GoingAway
It is a misnomer to say an empty vs full room costs the hotel nothing - they need to service the room which increases their costs, as well as provide general hotel staffing at potentially increased levels due to occupancy with little return from the 1 euro rate
"Nothing" is a bit of a figure of speech. Yes, servicing has a cost, but realistically, how many people booked at this rate at a given day -- you're probably looking at a handful of rooms a day at best.

So probably $5-$10 per room per night is an approximate cost to the hotel, provided they would not have sold those rooms.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I wouldn't always believe the first comments, even from IHG. One of the first stories was from Wired, which quoted the $55 Euro plus some PC points.
It seems, though, that that quote came before the honoring quotation.
So it looks like maybe they reversed themselves in a positive direction.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by soitgoes

Good point, and if you look at the timeline:

- Initial reaction: charge EUR 55
- Italian papers cover the story, manager quoted saying ressies are "technically valid"
- Start making calls and getting pushback
- AP calls, now local/national/world papers will cover the story, AP waiting for response
- "Oh ****, do we want to go on record cancelling 1,400 reservations?"
- Go back and rethink strategy
- Honor the rate

Last edited by MileageAddict; Aug 15, 2009 at 4:35 pm Reason: remove profanity
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Good point, and if you look at the timeline:

- Initial reaction: charge EUR 55
- Italian papers cover the story, manager quoted saying ressies are "technically valid"
- Start making calls and getting pushback
- AP calls, now local/national/world papers will cover the story, AP waiting for response
- "Oh ****, do we want to go on record cancelling 1,400 reservations?"
- Go back and rethink strategy
- Honor the rate
+1

Last edited by MileageAddict; Aug 15, 2009 at 4:35 pm
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
So IHG is stating the error's cost could be up to €90,000. Are they then telling the property that each room night redeemed will be reimbursed approx. €64.29?

If so, the management of the property shouldn't be too upset. That amount is roughly equal to €55 special "deal" plus VAT!

Last edited by Craig6z; Aug 15, 2009 at 1:31 pm
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Craig6z
I agree with this analysis. With the number of room nights that were blocked (1,400) scattered over 16 months, this will have little effect on occupancy at a 150 room hotel.
How are the rooms spread over 16 months? If you found out how to book 16 months in advance, I'd love to know about it.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes, of course, that was my whole point. Don't always believe what comes out first. It takes time for the final decision to come out.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Again, thanks to the OP. I am very lucky that I was reading FlyerTalk at the right time and was able to get in on this amazing deal. The news that the rate is being honored is fantastic. FlyerTalk is a great resource.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:25 pm
Original Member

How are the rooms spread over 16 months? If you found out how to book 16 months in advance, I'd love to know about it.

I never tried to book into 2010. However this was based upon a press report:
The 1-cent rate was up only Sunday night, but that was long enough for travelers to book dates running from October through 2010, Danesin said. The hotel stands to lose euro90,000 ($129,000), he said.
[Emphasis added]
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32422089.../?ocid=twitter

Danesin is the hotel's sales manager, per the article.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Craig6z
I never tried to book into 2010. However this was based upon a press report:
The 1-cent rate was up only Sunday night, but that was long enough for travelers to book dates running from October through 2010, Danesin said. The hotel stands to lose euro90,000 ($129,000), he said.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32422089.../?ocid=twitter

Danesin is the hotel's sales manager, per the article.
I don't believe article says through the END of 2010. If it was bookable in January, then it's bookable through 2010.

I don't know any hotel that allows online booking more than 12 months in advance.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't believe article says through the END of 2010. If it was bookable in January, then it's bookable through 2010.

I don't know any hotel that allows online booking more than 12 months in advance.
IHG (at least online and through the normal phone reservations channel) only allows bookings 50 weeks in advance.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt IHG can just self-impose some rate on them. Since this is a somewhat unique situation, the hotel would have to negotiate with IHG to come up with an acceptable compromise.
In principle yes, but who do you think has the strongest bargaining power here? CP Quarto d'Altino is not exactly in a prime position in Venice and it would not be the end of the world for IHG to lose that property. OTOH, the hotel probably gets a substantial number of guests it would not get without the CP brand. I reckon that IHG is in a position to pretty much determine quasi-unilaterally how much it will indemnify the hotel.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've not been contacted, but if they tell me anything about not honouring the rate, I'm definitely suing!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
On BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8202842.stm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.