Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:08 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
BBC has posted this story on its home page

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8202842.stm
The hotel has gotten a lot of free publicity. MSN has this still on its home page:

The 1-cent rate was up only Sunday night, but that was long enough for travelers to book dates running from October through 2010, Danesin said. The hotel stands to lose euro90,000 ($129,000), he said.

Monica Smith, media relations manager for the hotel group in the U.S., said Friday that some 228 guests made reservations for the equivalent of 1,400 room nights while the error was on the Web site and that the reservations would be honored.

"Although a pricing error, IHG is committed to honoring the 1-cent rate for guests who have a valid confirmation," Smith said. She added that rooms booked at the low rate "are nontransferable."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32422089...43001gt1=43001
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I wouldn't always believe the first comments, even from IHG. One of the first stories was from Wired, which quoted the $55 Euro plus some PC points.

ICHG spokeswoman Monica Smith confirmed their suspicions and says the rate change was the result of “human error.”

“We’re in the process of contacting all the guests who booked on this rate to offer them a heavily discounted rate of 55 EUR as well as some Priority Club Rewards points as a gesture of goodwill,” she said in a statement.
So is IHG "committed" to its own earlier public announcement or just to its later announcement? Maybe it's just customers are committed to whatever agreement the customers stand by or reach with IHG.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So is IHG "committed" to its own earlier public announcement or just to its later announcement? Maybe it's just customers are committed to whatever agreement the customers stand by or reach with IHG.
I guess we'll find out next week. It seems IHG uses the standard [email protected] for employees email addresses. Ms Smith has press releases that list her email address, and work phone number, so I guess we could always ask her.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
The story is getting even more coverage in the newspapers across the globe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...romotion-error
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:01 am

Programs: CO Gold
Since I was able to reserve 4 nights, I am really happy that IHG has decided to honor the books. It is certainly to their advantage with the press they are now receiving, plus I plan on booking additional nights around my 4 nights at normal prices. Venice was not a destination I planned to go to until this hotel error, however now I am. In past hotel error deals I was able to get in on, I made sure to eat at the hotel restaurants, and use the hotel spas, to show help offset the low room rate.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I hope IHG does absolutely nothing for those who choose not to go. That's what causes mistakes to get out of hand...people booking just hoping for the compensation. (The one exception would be those who had short-term bookings who were contacted by the property and cancelled.)
^
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
The story is getting even more coverage in the newspapers across the globe:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...romotion-error
It also made the BBC Radio 4 midday bulletin.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
after all this media coverage that IHG will honor them ... they have no other choice IMO ... nobody contacted me so far.

I remember the Sheraton error in PWM ... the hotel contacted me as well and I told them 'fat chance that I will pay more' ... got the original rate, which I think was $29.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:29 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Yes, but an IHG spokesperson saying they will honor it is pretty good.

I hope IHG does absolutely nothing for those who choose not to go. That's what causes mistakes to get out of hand...people booking just hoping for the compensation. (The one exception would be those who had short-term bookings who were contacted by the property and cancelled.)
Completely agree. If I decide to go... great. If I decide not to go, then I am subject to the cancellation policy (which of course is not an economic issue).

As I noted earlier, I have no interest in in PC points. It's not that I have any problems with their properties, but with status at Hilton and Starwood, there is little incremental business that I could offer them.

Regardless, if I go I'll try to spend a respectable amount of money at the hotel, even while booked in an Executive room, and be generous with gratuities. My hope is other FT'ers will also follow this mantra.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:46 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Regardless, if I go I'll try to spend a respectable amount of money at the hotel, even while booked in an Executive room, and be generous with gratuities. My hope is other FT'ers will also follow this mantra.
Surely if the error was made by Atlanta HQ, then the hotel will still be receiving their normal rebate/commission? I would have thought that the hotel won't miss out much at all - in fact perhaps they'll earn more revenue because of the increase in room occupancies, regardless of other hotel spend.

Wouldn't it be Atlanta HQ / the booking engine department that would miss-out?

< I'm not expert so I'm posing that as a question. >
Old Aug 15, 2009, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by jbfield
Surely if the error was made by Atlanta HQ, then the hotel will still be receiving their normal rebate/commission? I would have thought that the hotel won't miss out much at all - in fact perhaps they'll earn more revenue because of the increase in room occupancies, regardless of other hotel spend.

I think so, if this happened due to IC group's mistake, they will surely be paying the franchise location for the mistake, as it wasn't their own fault. If it was someone at the hotel side that made the mistake.....all bets are off.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Craig6z

Interesting plan, though I'm not sure how effective it will be.

It's very clear the hotel did not make the mistake, IHG did, so seeing as the hotel is likley independently owned, IHG may have to reimburse the hotel the intended amount of money per room night. All in all, the figures being tossed around are some like EUR 90,000 (about US $129,000).

So it's not clear that deliberately spending money at the property will make up for anything. In fact, if the hotel is getting reimbursed from IHG, the hotel could be making even more out of this because they sold far more rooms than they intended in this down economy. After all, how many of us were planning to go to Venice anyway and stay at the Crowne Plaza?

As for gratuities, tipping is not really customary in Italy. They add a couple Euro to your bill at restaurants for service, and that's what they get.

But if you want to tip someone to feel better about yourself, you should tip the folks at IHG in Atlanta. Seems they're the ones taking the hit, not the hotel.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jbfield

Even if they do, I suspect that they would pay them at a reduced rate (rather like the award reimbursement rate) rather than the commercial rate guests would have paid. If so, it could represent a serious loss of revenue for the hotel itself.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by NickB
Even if they do, I suspect that they would pay them at a reduced rate (rather like the award reimbursement rate) rather than the commercial rate guests would have paid. If so, it could represent a serious loss of revenue for the hotel itself.
I doubt IHG can just self-impose some rate on them. Since this is a somewhat unique situation, the hotel would have to negotiate with IHG to come up with an acceptable compromise.

Taking into account the potential for lost revenue because of this, and also the fact that on many days the hotel would not have been full anyway (so those days cost nothing), plus the fact that at this price there will be a high no-show rate, it will probably be somewhere between the award night rate and the lowest market rate.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway's phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

It is a misnomer to say an empty vs full room costs the hotel nothing - they need to service the room which increases their costs, as well as provide general hotel staffing at potentially increased levels due to occupancy with little return from the 1 euro rate

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.