Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 1:38 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by IMOA
So a question for the people in Hong Kong, are bars, restaurants etc open or is it completely dead? We’re due to arrive next Tuesday and if it’s going to be dead we might skip and stay in Bangkok. And yes, ignoring the fact that Bangkok has more cases, a worse health system, a huge number of Chinese tourists with no travel restrictions and worse hygiene standards. But it has open restaurants and bars do you can still have a holiday.
Shady Acres in Soho is still open through the apocalypse at the very least!
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
We're making decisions here based on potential future events. Absent of hindsight, no one knows with any degree of certitude what will or won't be effective. It may turn out the China ban would have been futile anyway, but there's no way to know. What I am saying is that it seems more prudent to try and see if it's effective, rather than just not considering it simply because there aren't 100% assurances it will be 100% effective. Even slowing it down would be helpful.

No one here is happy about people dying from the flu. Just as there's no one happy about people dying from strokes, car accidents, or a variety of other chronic illnesses. I'm not celebrating anything, but merely pointing out that the "flu" and whatever illnesses already exists and resources are devoted accordingly to combat them. Efforts to avoid this virus is completely separate from efforts to deal with the variety of ailments are already here--one has nothing to do with the other.
If the people all over the world who panic about corona would spend the same time and energy for actions against influenza, many lives could be saved and much much more people didn't get sick.

In times of a serious influenza epidemic - like it's going on in the US or in Germany right now, it is important to disinfect your hands frequently and not to touch your face (especially mouth, eyes) without having washed your hands before. That means to have disinfection solution at home. That means to learn, how to wash your hands properly as most people don't do it properly enough to prevent a flu infection. That means to be aware, when you touch your face,

Talking about a less dangerous virus far away from home doesn't protect against the epidemic at home.

Last edited by thbe; Feb 2, 2020 at 3:18 am
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When did the fly become an "American" disease?
It seems to be American enough for some US Americans not to be worried about it, because they have accepted that much more dangerous virus as a normal part of their life.

Here in the USA, we've had the cold/flu probably every generation, and I myself have had it countless times. I'd imagine most of us here have gotten some kind of resistance to it, and neither I nor any of my family have ever even remotely come close to dying after countless cold/flus.

Now, this novel coronavirus is from a bat or some kind of animal in China? Odds are it's strain has never been in America, and may pose a higher risk to me than the flu/cold in which I'm used to. While I MUST deal with the flu, I don't and shouldn't have to with a virus that should and could have been contained in Wuhan.
:D! likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:17 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by STS-134
I suspect that if the HK government continues to allow people to come across the border without going through quarantine, more countries are going to start treating HK the same as the mainland.
How about Thailand and Cambodia who are not going to impose any travel restrictions?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 3:28 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
I should have a mask on. I'm not only too happy to comply but will also put on some sunglasses.
Just don't go to a local 7-11 in that outfit after 10PM....
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by thbe
It seems to be American enough for some US Americans not to be worried about it, because they have accepted that much more dangerous virus as a normal part of their life.
Is that a prediction that the Coronavirus will have a lower mortality rate than the Cold or the Flu? I hope you'll be proven right, but I have my...er...doubts.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by thbe
In times of a serious influenza epidemic - like it's going on in the US or in Germany right now, it is important to disinfect your hands frequently and not to touch your face (especially mouth, eyes) without having washed your hands before. That means to have disinfection solution at home. That means to learn, how to wash your hands properly as most people don't do it properly enough to prevent a flu infection. That means to be aware, when you touch your face,
I just wash my hands with regular bar or liquid soap in warm water. Not sure about my hygiene standards, but I probably wash them about 10 - 15 times per day? Always before and after meals, upon entering my house or office, and whenever touching something that may not be clean. Should I be using some kind of special "germ killing" solution? Never bothered, nor thought it was necessary. Yet, I've still gotten the cold/flu (can never tell which I have) about twice per year since as long as I can remember? Some better and some worse, but I've never come close to, nor have known anyone who have, being concerned, let alone coming close to dying.

Still remember growing up being told, "don't worry, it's just a cold." And, on to school with my Kleenex...

PS - I didn't mention the lavatory since I'm assuming it's universal that everyone washes his hands afterwards.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
PS - I didn't mention the lavatory since I'm assuming it's universal that everyone washes his hands afterwards.
You would think so but it's absurd how many times I see guys not wash their hands after using public toilets. Absolutely disgusting…
Old Feb 2, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by helvetic
You would think so but it's absurd how many times I see guys not wash their hands after using public toilets. Absolutely disgusting…
the stats on people not washing hands after using public bathrooms are pretty high, I recall reading something. And then there are those who wash for 3-5 seconds, sometimes just with water.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:29 am

"Largest Quarantine Site with 300 Homes Ready in One, Two Months"

That from the SCMP. No comment necessary.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:36 am

Jokes aside, and this is for anyone entering America from HK. I'm somewhat surprised with so many around me who are fearful that I "may" have the virus, and a few have even wore masks when around me. While as an abundance of caution, I was planning to spend the next 14 days mostly at home in my study & with my mask on, it was nonetheless subtlety suggested to me to avoid the office unless absolutely necessary for the next 14 days. Safe to say that I won't be getting any social invitations any time soon.

And, I never step foot into Mainland China, and remained in HK the entire time. While I never take things personally, the next time my business partners ask me to travel, I'm going full bore and all out on full luxury hotels. Are there any 6 star hotels?
wrp96 and Eagle2000 like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:54 am

No, no six-star hotels in Hong Kong. So I guess you'll have to settle for a five-star.

The W Hong Kong, perhaps?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:59 am
Original Poster

If you want to make them feel it on the expense account… stay at Upper House. The W, Ritz, St Regis, MO / Landmark MO, Four Seasons, Island Shangri-la, and Grand Hyatt are all solid 5-stars.
wrp96 and Visconti like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 889
No, no six-star hotels in Hong Kong. So I guess you'll have to settle for a five-star.

The W Hong Kong, perhaps?
There is no such thing as a six-star hotel ever. It's all made-up marketing BS.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:06 am

Suffice it to say, next time I'm in HK, I'm going to do some serious damage to my Bus Amex. Someone mentioned that in his view, the Rosewood was the best hotel in the world?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.