Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:39 am

Can't find any details about what's cancelled, just stories like this one:

United Airlines halts HK flights | The Standard

If you have details, please post them.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by 889
"In case AA cancels flights (doubtful to HKG) . . ."

Well, United has just cancelled its Hong Kong service for at least a week starting Saturday. (Cancelled Mainland service, too, but that's not a surprise.)
United cancelled 24 of it's 12 daily flight over the 8 first days of Feb (i.e. 24/96)… that's a 25% reduction in flights… which makes sense as a standard capacity adjustment due to reduced demand.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by number_6
I had 3 trips to HKG during SARS (plus a dozen transits of the airport during that period), and for that much more serious epidemic there was zero chance of HKG airport being closed for transit pax. You have a slight risk of becoming quarantined if other pax on your flight become ill, but that can happen to any destination. Personally I view TPE to be more at risk than HKG given Taiwan's commercial relationship with Wuhan. My personal evaluation is that you are better off staying with the flights you have booked via HKG if they are on CX; if on some other airline, then some risk of flight cancellations. In terms of travel comfort SQ is comparable but CA is a giant step down from CX, and it is a long travel time to DPS from SAN.

Other public gathering activities have been shut down already (for example both Disneyland in HKG and China are closed now), and I remember deserted shopping malls and cinemas in Hong Kong during SARS. That was before the elevator button was discovered as the transmission vector (that hotel had to change its name afterwards to stay in business).
How was SARS "much more serious?" Inside of a month, the official # of infected from this one is almost higher than the total run of SARS. People estimate the # is significantly below the true # and is increasing daily.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
How was SARS "much more serious?" Inside of a month, the official # of infected from this one is almost higher than the total run of SARS. People estimate the # is significantly below the true # and is increasing daily.
It was much more serious as far as Hong Kong was concerned during SARS.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 9:57 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by ahtimsir
It was much more serious as far as Hong Kong was concerned during SARS.
Yes and no… HK was disproportionally affected by SARS and the outbreak there for a while was far more serious. But globally, every sign points to 2019-ncov being far worse.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold
How is Hong Kong public life now? Are the streets and restaurants etc still busy? I am seriously considering visiting next week as planned if the official travel advice still indicates a higher level of risk but OK to visit. I am not into tourist attractions but I do like to take long city walks or maybe visit places such as Lamma island.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:12 pm

Many of the private/small businesses that were scheduled to re-open yesterday after the New Years break did not. If you are interested in the big chain stores and malls, I haven't (in passing) noticed much difference. I had hoped to pick up coffee at one of two independent coffee places between the metro and my destination while passing through Discovery Park Mall yesterday. Both were closed, but Starbucks was open (pass). At the AEON and City? malls adjacent, I again struck out on independent coffee sources; Pacific Coffee was open (not that needy).

Along, say, Nathan Road, about 35 percent of the shops were shuttered at 11:30AM yesterday. A few don't open until noon, but most were just independents, closed.

Bring your own face mask. Not available here, to my knowledge. Don Don Donki got a shipment and people hoarded.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:47 pm

helpful, thanks. Sounds not that gloomy
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by janwillem
helpful, thanks. Sounds not that gloomy
From my perspective, it isn't too gloomy. While you'll see 90% of the people wearing some kind of mask, I don't sense any urgency or fear of the virus spreading, yet. I've noticed mostly people didn't seem as if it's here at the moment and many take their masks off to smoke, breath more easily or simply because they've become tired of it. In addition, even if one were vigilant, the masks must come off the moment you have lunch or dinner.

So, not sure how effective the masks are at this point, but I suspect it certainly has a psychological effect, I suppose. The hotels seem to be extremely vigilant with all of their staff in masks, detailed questionnaires upon checking in (such as if one has cold symptoms, coughing, incoming vessel # and seat, etc.), plastic over the elevator buttons with signs that they'll be sterilized with regularity, and what I'd assume meticulous cleaning.

As a foreigner, the usual buzz and vibrancy of the city is definitely missing, which is understandable.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:34 pm

We’re scheduled to arrive next Tuesday and are still planning to come. We’ve got a supply of masks and have some alcohol wipes, hand sanitiser etc (not so easy to get anywhere this end of the world these days!) and given we’re much more interested in restaurants and bars than Disneyland or tourist attractions it looks like we’ll still be good. On the upside, I guess chances of a big protest march disrupting things are somewhat lower than they were
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:50 am

I made a few comments about yesterday. Not a direct comparison, since I was on HK Island today, but it seemed pretty lively on main streets.. I jogged from IFC to North Point and back at lunch, and the Harbourfront was just beautiful, though empty of people. Parks and the Central Library are closed. Lots of shops too. But it's still (roughly) Hong Kong.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:24 am

Funny you mention jogging as I registered for the half marathon on the 9th in preparation for a full marathon in France this summer. Next weekend's event in HK is understandably cancelled but I am still planning do do some running if/when i visit next week.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:00 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I feel we will not escape this during travel

Fear in the Age of Coronavirus: Chinese No Longer Welcome https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...longer-welcome

Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by percysmith
I feel we will not escape this during travel

Fear in the Age of Coronavirus: Chinese No Longer Welcome https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...longer-welcome

It's unfortunate but China is associated with several recent viral outbreaks.

In this media age, the fear is probably amplified than it was even 17 years ago when SARS broke out.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by janwillem
Funny you mention jogging as I registered for the half marathon on the 9th in preparation for a full marathon in France this summer. Next weekend's event in HK is understandably cancelled but I am still planning do do some running if/when i visit next week.
Cardio is very important when trying to stay away from the infected...

Last edited by nk15; Jan 30, 2020 at 7:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.