Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:47 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ranles
Thanks

CDC is saying not to do unnecessary travel to China. I worry mostly about getting to HKG and not being able to get out! Also CDC making travel unavailable. So I have asked that we be rerouted. They (TA and R7S) should get back to me tomorrow (/Tuesday)? or Wed. Booking in J
Lots thru TPE: SAN-LAX (various) to TPE on CA7 then onto CA 771 all with long layovers (3-4 hours)
For SIN, SAN-LAX to SIN SA 37 then SA 942 Tight SIN-DPS
I do know what we have to do arriving at TPE or SIN about id and recheck luggage on a pass thru. I will check flights again. It was In April or May 2019 that I was booked for the flights
IK @dxb? I'll check it out
I had 3 trips to HKG during SARS (plus a dozen transits of the airport during that period), and for that much more serious epidemic there was zero chance of HKG airport being closed for transit pax. You have a slight risk of becoming quarantined if other pax on your flight become ill, but that can happen to any destination. Personally I view TPE to be more at risk than HKG given Taiwan's commercial relationship with Wuhan. My personal evaluation is that you are better off staying with the flights you have booked via HKG if they are on CX; if on some other airline, then some risk of flight cancellations. In terms of travel comfort SQ is comparable but CA is a giant step down from CX, and it is a long travel time to DPS from SAN.

Other public gathering activities have been shut down already (for example both Disneyland in HKG and China are closed now), and I remember deserted shopping malls and cinemas in Hong Kong during SARS. That was before the elevator button was discovered as the transmission vector (that hotel had to change its name afterwards to stay in business).
1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
We are booked to leave Hong Kong on the 9th Feb, which seems to be during the peak at which people return from CNY holidays on the mainland. I guess this means a crowded HKG with potentially many infected people arriving or connecting.

The flight itself is definitely the most risky part of the trip, especially as we have no great way of protecting our baby (mask is useless or even counter-productive).

Would it be wise to change our flight to an earlier date e.g. this coming weekend or even a weekday next week? Or is it better to play it by ear and even reschedule to a later date (and stay safe in our HK apartment waiting out the containment). Keen to hear what others would do. We don't really have any other considerations to take into account apart from the actual moving date.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
We are booked to leave Hong Kong on the 9th Feb, which seems to be during the peak at which people return from CNY holidays on the mainland. I guess this means a crowded HKG with potentially many infected people arriving or connecting.

The flight itself is definitely the most risky part of the trip, especially as we have no great way of protecting our baby (mask is useless or even counter-productive).

Would it be wise to change our flight to an earlier date e.g. this coming weekend or even a weekday next week? Or is it better to play it by ear and even reschedule to a later date (and stay safe in our HK apartment waiting out the containment). Keen to hear what others would do. We don't really have any other considerations to take into account apart from the actual moving date.
To where? And what access to medical care will your family have at the destination?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To where? And what access to medical care will your family have at the destination?
Sorry -- should clarify:

We are relocating permanently to Singapore.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 11:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Thank you number_6! We needed that. Those are much more reassuring words.

Travel agent (Pavlus) tells me that Regent Seven Seas can rebook us only after a $300-500 change fee EACH AND any change in costs from what they paid. Our choice would be thru HKG or SIN, if available.

We have insurance thru Allianz. That might help if we are "stranded" along the way. I might ask for a fee summary and routing, just to have all the data to review. I am an over planner, admittedly!
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by ranles
CDC is saying not to do unnecessary travel to China. I worry mostly about getting to HKG and not being able to get out! Also CDC making travel unavailable.
Being quarantined in HK is fine, but anywhere in China/Mainland PRC is unacceptable. What's the isolation period, 14 days? In HK, I can deal with this, unless they isolate me in some kind of cell or detention center. If they allow me to isolate myself in the Ritz or something, I'd be cool with it and wait out my 14 days.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:07 pm

At the moment, they seem to be sending quarantine cases to places like that holiday village out in Sai Kung Country Park.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by 889
At the moment, they seem to be sending quarantine cases to places like that holiday village out in Sai Kung Country Park.
While not the end of the world, this is a little too...er...outdoorsy for my taste. So, it's like the Angel Island of HK?
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:29 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by Visconti
Being quarantined in HK is fine, but anywhere in China/Mainland PRC is unacceptable. What's the isolation period, 14 days? In HK, I can deal with this, unless they isolate me in some kind of cell or detention center. If they allow me to isolate myself in the Ritz or something, I'd be cool with it and wait out my 14 days.
Well I would be pretty upset at being quarantined in HKG. Admittedly there are far worse places to be stuck for sure, but when your next stop is Amanpulo well...
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:49 pm

"So, it's like the Angel Island of HK?"

Actually, there are plenty of sparsely populated islands in Hong Kong they could have used. But The Lady MacLehose Holiday Village "has an air of tranquility and presents a charming view of the woody hillsides." What could be nicer.

https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/camp/p_lmhv.php
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
"So, it's like the Angel Island of HK?"

Actually, there are plenty of sparsely populated islands in Hong Kong they could have used. But The Lady MacLehose Holiday Village "has an air of tranquility and presents a charming view of the woody hillsides." What could be nicer.

https://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/camp/p_lmhv.php
Using uninhabited outlying island to house people with contagious disease is not something new for HK.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:24 pm

The old Hei Ling Chau leper colony being the most obvious example.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:10 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Going on a business trip to the USA — I just booked a return LAX-HKG on aa for the virus discount price of $339 upped to business on an expiring SWU.

Hopefully the picture is clearer in 3 weeks and I'll make a final call as to whether coming back home is safe. In case AA cancels flights (doubtful to HKG), I'd imagine they'd at least put me up on CX in business which is unlikely to stop flying.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 12:45 am

"In case AA cancels flights (doubtful to HKG) . . ."

Well, United has just cancelled its Hong Kong service for at least a week starting Saturday. (Cancelled Mainland service, too, but that's not a surprise.)
Old Jan 29, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by 889
"In case AA cancels flights (doubtful to HKG) . . ."

Well, United has just cancelled its Hong Kong service for at least a week starting Saturday. (Cancelled Mainland service, too, but that's not a surprise.)
No, UA only canceled some flights to HKG over a week's time. Not all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.