Reload this Page >

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 5:52 pm

Guys, I'm just thankful this is China and not other Third World countries where the social justice warrior virtual signaling clique would go absolute rabid and try to stop us from controlling this potential outbreak.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
WHO level 4? Do not travel to China? I am in USA scheduled to fly thru HKG (CX) Mon. Feb 3. I don't understand any of the "rules" When to WHO website but did not get answers. It is about 9PM Thursday, and news announced this data? Is this main land or inclusive of HKG? How to I best stay on top of what the airlines are doing? CDC? etc.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
……...
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Visconti
Guys, I'm just thankful this is China and not other Third World countries where the social justice warrior virtual signaling clique would go absolute rabid and try to stop us from controlling this potential outbreak.
[bolding and underlining mine]

You and me both, right?
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
You and me both, right?
And, hopefully a few others, since our (at least mine) Govts are reticent to act aggressively to deal with this. Our, you and I, objectives are to keep it out of our (USA for me and UK for you) respective Countries, and then for my own selfish reasons, to keep it out of HK proper. The last thing I want is to see HK soiled by something like this, yet again.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My brain is turning to mush reading this.
kevincrumbs and adrianlondon like this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
My brain is turning to mush reading this.
My regrets. Whenever I try to be diplomatic, it's generally an epic failure. Let me try to rephrase. When I use "us," it only means the USA. I couldn't care less about any other country, since it's none of my business or concern. The only exception is HK, because of the special place that city and its people hold for me.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:15 pm

And, hopefully a few others, since our (at least mine) Govts are reticent to act aggressively to deal with this. Our, you and I, objectives are to keep it out of our (USA for me and UK for you) respective Countries, and then for my own selfish reasons, to keep it out of HK proper. The last thing I want is to see HK soiled by something like this, yet again.
According to the CDC there are 19 millions infections, 180,000 hospitalizations and at least 10,000 deaths by flu in the US in this season so far (since end of September 2019). Flu is stated as "widespread" in almost all states of the US.

Maybe you should spend some hope on that as well.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by thbe
According to the CDC there are 19 millions infections, 180,000 hospitalizations and at least 10,000 deaths by flu in the US in this season so far (since end of September 2019). Flu is stated as "widespread" in almost all states of the US.

The flu has been here for mine and my family's entire life. We have flu shots, wash our hands, etc. We can deal with the flu as we always have and still make an effort not to introduce any novel new viruses. What's the saying? I can walk and chew gum at the same time. It makes no sense to introduce new viruses if we can avoid it.
Eagle2000 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 4:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
We got our tickets refunded and rebooked thru Syd instead of hkg on the way to dps. Wife and I feel better and we are less like to get sick, OR be part of any spreading. As replied earlier, a week is a long time, and so has been the past 4 days.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by thbe

Apples and oranges.... I'm with you Visconti, typical Pro-CCP distraction tactics.
Visconti likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by eagle215
Apples and oranges.... I'm with you Visconti, typical Pro-CCP distraction tactics.
I'm not picking on the PRC, and my views would be the same regardless of whatever other country in which something like this breaks out, even my own. Here in the USA, we've had the cold/flu probably every generation, and I myself have had it countless times. I'd imagine most of us here have gotten some kind of resistance to it, and neither I nor any of my family have ever even remotely come close to dying after countless cold/flus.

Now, this novel coronavirus is from a bat or some kind of animal in China? Odds are it's strain has never been in America, and may pose a higher risk to me than the flu/cold in which I'm used to. While I MUST deal with the flu, I don't and shouldn't have to with a virus that should and could have been contained in Wuhan.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 5:52 pm
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Just booked another roundtrip in march for $580 in Y, upgrades both way with SWU. Hoping that AA will freak out and cancel the HKG route and put me up on CX.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:05 am

The flu has been here for mine and my family's entire life. We have flu shots, wash our hands, etc. We can deal with the flu as we always have and still make an effort not to introduce any novel new viruses. What's the saying? I can walk and chew gum at the same time. It makes no sense to introduce new viruses if we can avoid it.
I didn’t propose to introduce new viruses. What I’m saying is, that worrying about high risks makes much more sense than worrying about low risks. Your government can let in or not whoever they think it’s a good idea or not.

But having more than 10,000 people dying by flu in your country in the last months and feeling happy anyway that there are no infections about another kind of virus, isn’t good. There are many many other viruses in the world, which are no danger for the US. Of course you can celebrate not having them every hour of the year and having more than 50,000 deaths the same time.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by eagle215
You can let your bs generator turned off, if that is even possible. Closing borders to China makes sense. China does have a real problem about corona. Not as big as the actual problem of flu in the US, but still real and serious.

Feeling happy for not having a virus like corona while many thousands are dying because of flu, doesn’t make any sense. Every country should take their own viruses very serious and closing borders can be part of that. You guys don’t take your own viruses serious, even if many more people of your country a getting sick or die by that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.