FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wuhan coronavirus outbreak — worries as it spread to HK & beyond
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:31 am
GetSetJetSet
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by number_6
I had 3 trips to HKG during SARS (plus a dozen transits of the airport during that period), and for that much more serious epidemic there was zero chance of HKG airport being closed for transit pax. You have a slight risk of becoming quarantined if other pax on your flight become ill, but that can happen to any destination. Personally I view TPE to be more at risk than HKG given Taiwan's commercial relationship with Wuhan. My personal evaluation is that you are better off staying with the flights you have booked via HKG if they are on CX; if on some other airline, then some risk of flight cancellations. In terms of travel comfort SQ is comparable but CA is a giant step down from CX, and it is a long travel time to DPS from SAN.

Other public gathering activities have been shut down already (for example both Disneyland in HKG and China are closed now), and I remember deserted shopping malls and cinemas in Hong Kong during SARS. That was before the elevator button was discovered as the transmission vector (that hotel had to change its name afterwards to stay in business).
How was SARS "much more serious?" Inside of a month, the official # of infected from this one is almost higher than the total run of SARS. People estimate the # is significantly below the true # and is increasing daily.