Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Beijing Wangfujing {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 11:06 pm

Programs: DM, AA, UA,HH,Priority, Amtrak, Starwwod, BA, Marriott
I was at the Hilton Wangfujing from 5/15 - 5/19/ 2011. It was the finest experience I've ever had in a Hilton. The room was fabulous; the Exec. Lounge was superb; the staff fantastic,; and the internet free ( I had to sign up but it wasn't on the final bill). I would very highly recommend this wonderful hotel ( the Hilton Capital Airport was also great but I was only there a night).
Old May 31, 2011, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2mm SPG Gold HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ETManning
I was at the Hilton Wangfujing from 5/15 - 5/19/ 2011. It was the finest experience I've ever had in a Hilton. The room was fabulous; the Exec. Lounge was superb; the staff fantastic,; and the internet free ( I had to sign up but it wasn't on the final bill). I would very highly recommend this wonderful hotel ( the Hilton Capital Airport was also great but I was only there a night).
I agree with this. I was just there for 5 nights. This has to be the best Hilton hotel worldwide and one of the top 5 chain wide. So far only the Conrad Maldives was better but as a city hotel this cannot be beat. I was in a lifestyle suite. Eveything about the hotel is great except the gym was a big disappointment. Cardio is good weights are . Also many taxis does not liuke to take you back to the hotel. Many also want to rip you off and not use the meter. Despite this Beijing is a great city and this is probably the best place to stay. I saw rooms at the Ritz Carlton and they did not compare.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM, DL GM, HH Diamond, PC Gold
Just got back from a 3 night stay, they currently have no WIFI in the rooms, if you have a cat5 connector on your computer no problem. I talked to the girls in the exec lounge and they are currently installing wifi through out the rooms.
She said they should be done in a week or so. I was on the exec floor (16) so no problems going to the lounge to download e-mails.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 3:28 pm

Location: In between BRU, BSL , AOI and the rest of the world
Programs: BAEC Gold, LX Sen, HH Diamond, SPG Plat, MR Silver
Cool

Nice 4 nites leisure stay in early May. Great room with a large closet area and bath space . Wifi only available in the lounge and , as wired internet in the rooms , complimentary for diamonds. Nice and modern property , very well placed to walk and visit Tienanmen , the Forbidden City and the pedestrian area of Wangfujing. Very pleasant executive lounge , attentive but not ossessive staff offering a good variety of cooked and cold foods for breakfast in the morning and Happy Hour in the early evening. There is a Portuguese / mediterranean restaurant ( good , but nothing to write home about) and a ChInese restaurant (can only say that the Peking duck was outstanding , the best I ever had ) plus a well stocked cave. Just one personal critique , the Hotel internal decor is a bit impersonal and makes you feel you could be anywhere. While in Beijing , also enjoyed the stay at the Capital airport Hilton (IMHO one of the best airport Hiltons) for a short night before our domestic flights.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand why people keep saying "and free internet for Diamonds". People at every single Hilton in the World Golds and Diamonds are supposed to have free internet access, this is not novel nor unique to this property.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
see below; still getting used to ipad and double posted!

Last edited by ffdom; Jul 16, 2011 at 9:33 am Reason: duplicate
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
Just returned from a 4 night award stay with a nor 1 upgrade. The room was spacious and I liked the decor in our 'executive lifestyle suite' and lounge was nice. But I think the hotel is very overrated. We had just been in Conrad hong kong, where room and service were flawless, and the wangfujing felt very 4 star not remotely close to 5 star. Service was amateurish.

The most irritating issue was construction noise. We were at the non view end of the hotel on a low floor (7). No one said anything about the mall being under construction next door. We got to our room, and were impressed, unpacked everything (and we had done a lot of shopping in hong kong). Then around 4pm we tried to nap and the drilling and banging started. A call to 'magic' produced an uncertain response. An hour later the duty manager appeared at the room and explained they hadn't known about the noise, it wasn't in the hotel, they couldn't control it, had a smaller suite they could move us to but had been assured the noise wouldn't go Saturday and Sunday. Given we had unpacked and we would be gone Friday we opted to stay. Big mistake. Of course we returned Friday at 5 and there was noise. Also Saturday and Sunday. Incredibly frustrating. I called 'magic' again and of course they knew nothing. Eventually the weekend manager called back apologetic but said they could do nothing except move us which half way into a trip is just too much of a pain. We should have not believed the story that the construction noise would stop after day 1 so that was our fault. But the handling of the whole thing was felt very unapologetic particularly as we were spending $ on an award reservation.

Second very amateur incident was a note under our door on day two saying we had exceeded our reauthorization on check in credit limit. What? Well although I called Amex and they said there was no problem, turns out when we checked in the hotel the front desk only pre-authorized a certain amount not sufficient to cover a return airport limo and a room service club sandwich! Not a big deal I guess but it took me a long collect call to Amex (to establish it wasn't anything at their end) and 15 minutes waiting in line at check in desk to have them run the card again. In the grand scheme of things not a big deal, just amateurish and frustrating.

We had room service and it was ok. They only set for one person one night when we explicitly said for two. Took a while to get the phone rep to understand some specific English instructions. The cleaning folks never replaced all the supplies or left enough water.

Still no wi fi in the rooms - they are testing it as it will show up as active but you cant log in (I called to check).

This is probably a case of overly high expectations set by reading flyer talk! In the overall array of hiltons, this is a good one make no mistake. The location is great and since it is newly built it's clean and spacious with nice decor. But the service is not top notch. And anyone going soon should be sure to ask about construction noise when they check in, as that just might frustrate you.

Last edited by ffdom; Jul 16, 2011 at 9:38 am
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:48 pm
b76

Programs: Continental Gold, HH Diamond, Star Alliance Gold
I stayed at Hilton Beijing Wangfujing from July 3-10 on a Diamond reward. The standard reward room was huge and it was very quiet on 12th floor. Despite being a full reward customer, I was treated great! The closet sliding door got stuck on my first day (most likely me pushing it too hard) and someone was up to fix it in less than 10 minutes! The cleaning lady would kindly say hello to me in the morning walking down the hall. Everyone at this hotel worked extra hard to make this a memorable stay. I would have to stay this was my best stay at a Hilton to date (better than stays at Conrads and even better than Hilton Paris Arc de Triomph - my previous favorite). The Executive Lounge employees went above and beyond to be kind and remembered favorites (such as a Coke zero). Further, the lounge was open late- until 11 p.m. and had great refreshments all day when coming in from the Extreme heat of Beijing. The nice thing was that although it had western foods and a great breakfast, they had a nice option of some Asian fruits and food (why would anyone want to eat boring American food on vacation, but if you do they had it for you also). I also think the Concierge went beyond on many occasions including booking a sought after reservation for dinner a week before I attended via email.
The swimming facility was quite nice. I ate at the hotel restaurant that served Macau cuisine for a buffet dinner and it was pretty good. Since I usually go 24/7 on vacation it was nice to come back to this hotel nightly. I think that all employees I encountered went over and above in their hospitality. In particular, there were a few ladies in the executive lounge who were wonderful to talk to and a great help. They are currently building a Waldorf Astoria across the street from Hilton Beijing Wangfujing but can't imagine it can get much better! This hotel has won awards for its service!
Also, I think the location is pretty good for walking, enjoying both snack streets, near taxis and close to public transportation - buses and subway. Only one small caveat- be careful with the shower- it can flood the bathroom easily!
Old Jul 18, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
As previously posted, stayed here for the second time a couple of months ago. While I do agree that the concierge desk can be a little slow and their English skills could be better, I saw an improvement from the previous stay a few months before and I think this hotel will continue to be a great asset in the chain. The location is great, and the rooms are terrific

We wanted to go to several small musuems that we had seen in an article prior to the Olympics, which turned out to be in lanes that had been razed during the construction. The desk patiently called each musuem, found its new location and hours for us, and helped us to plot out our day in a logical order. They printed maps and itineraries for us each day. I wasnt always sure that our requests were properly understood, but all of our arrangements, reservations, and transportation went off without a hitch.

The staff in the Executive Lounge was excellent and helpful and the hours were great (along with the view!)

We were traveling with another couple, and asked to have our breakfast in the restaurant and they had no issues with that. The breakfast was excellent and the restaurant decor was lovely.

I can certainly sympathize with the complaints about construction noise, but I dont think the hotel has control over the mall and construction in China is unlikely to stop.
Old Jul 19, 2011, 6:52 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I stayed one night in Wangfujing in June. I booked King Deluxe Room, and was upgraded to King Innovation Suite, which includes lounge access, via eUpgrade (only CNY119). The room was quite nice, amenities excellent, and the biggest minibar I have ever seen! A large cabinet, which when opened up was like a small bar. Good selection of drinks, I never bother with the snacks anyway Also included the "intimacy pack", which had a condom, wet wipe and lubricant. (No, I didn't open it, it said so on the outside.) The decor was modern, very pleasing to the eye IMO. However, some of the dark surfaces were already a bit scratched, I think the wear and tear will become more visible as time goes by.

The bathroom had a nice tub plus small TV on top of it + water-resistant remote. The door to the shower stall had something wrong, it made a loud noise every time it was opened or closed.

EL was on the top floor, very good service. Nice selection of wines in the evening. Breakfast had both Chinese and Western varieties, all good. Made to order omelettes.

I had arranged for the hotel car to pick me up from the airport, as I needed to visit a few places on the way. It is (much) more expensive than the ordinary taxis, but service is excellent. I was greeted by an employee as I disembarked the plane, she took my carry-on bag, wheeled it to the passport control, waited on the other side while I went through the control (very quickly), took again my baggage and guided me through some back corridors to the car (Audi A6). Good driver, nice car, morning's People's Daily plus water.

Would I stay again? Yes, definitely.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Wifi yet?

Anyone with an update on the wifi? Headed to the hotel in August, wondering if they have wifi yet as I'm using a Macbook Air. If there is only an ethernet plug, I'll need to buy a USB to ethernet connector (probably only time I'll ever use it).

Thanks,
Old Jul 27, 2011, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by johnathome
Anyone with an update on the wifi? Headed to the hotel in August, wondering if they have wifi yet as I'm using a Macbook Air. If there is only an ethernet plug, I'll need to buy a USB to ethernet connector (probably only time I'll ever use it).

Thanks,
Can't answer your question specifically, but if you can get/ request a room directly below the executive lounge, you can use wifi.

tb
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:01 am

As of July 7-11, wi-fi was not operational for guestrooms. You could see it as an option but it would not let you log on - when I called they explained they were testing it but not yet operational....probably not too much longer...
Wifi worked ok in lounge.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Good but not great

Just completed a 3 day stay, and all I can say is good but not great.

Every hotel is made or not by its staff, and 80% of these staff are great. 20% however are not even good, which left a bitter taste.

Lounge - good - nearly as good as some conrads.

WiFi - now works in rooms (at least on level 12 anyway).

Concierge and general baggage / other staff , many not at all good, for example insisted they take my bags, then dumped them in the middle of the reception area and disapeared (lucky I saw where they were). Also on departure asked me if i want a taxi, i said yes, then disapeared, so no taxi !

Anyway, hotel is good, location is good, if they can fix the rest then it could be great.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The last 2-3 years there are NO hotels in Beijing with excellent staff, if you went back to 2007 or so there were several, namely the St. Regis and the Hyatt (which was not that great a hotel overall but had great staff). What happened? When literally dozens of 4 and 5 star hoyels opened between 2006 and 2008 (or so) there was a huge poaching war that occurred, Top level local management was going for more than their equivalents in London (for example), Assistants became managers, and new hires became assistants, and.........this particular Hilton was late to much of the game.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.