Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Beijing Wangfujing {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2009, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by yyliu88
I don't think the phone was asking for tip, it just a boss to check out some new employees. because tipping is not recommended and not encouraged.
I don't buy this argument. If that were true, then the boss would have identified himself and stated the reason for the call - e.g. "Tipping is not recommended or encouraged by this hotel. I am checking if X asked for a tip."
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:02 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Maybe the caller was checking to see if the bellman pocketed the tip?
Remove the word "maybe" and you are correct.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:30 pm

Well, I got a quick response via email. The Front Office manager apologized, though he/she was not specific about the details of my concern. It was clear that he/she read my email, but there was nothing saying that the staff or bell staff management was instructed specifically about customer contact about tipping. I followed up and just reiterated that I believed that most customers would not appreciate a phone call from hotel staff asking about tips.

It's done as far as i am concerned, I appreciate that many here seemed to be of the same mindset as me. I am very sure that the call was not sinister, and was simply an attempt to police tips received by local staff. Most of us here seem to think that is inappropriate and my main goal was to communicate this to their management. I certainly will return to the Hilton Wangfujing... assuming my price and convenience requirements are met.
Old Sep 16, 2009, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed at this property several times since its opened and have had no such problem. I would strongly suggest that you phone downstairs and ask for Sandra and explain the situation to her.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
I just completed my second say at the Hilton Wangfujing and must say that things have indeed improved. Chynna restaurant is outstanding......very accomodating and loads of "extra's." The rooms remain very fuctional and as a Diamond was upgraded to the executive floor (16). Superalative service in the lounge, great range of breakfast items, and a very fine "happy hour."

Service is exemplary and the location cannot be beat, either for business or
tourism. IMHO a vastly better choice than the Hilton Beijing (the one by the
US embassy). YMMV.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Has anyone that has stayed here taken tours recommended from the hotel? I am thinking about arranging private tours while I am in Beijing for my wife and I.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 9:22 pm

if I am coming from the Beijing airport via public transportation..how should I get there?
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by anchor79
if I am coming from the Beijing airport via public transportation..how should I get there?
I would take a taxi the entire way, but you could also take the airport train to te 2nd ring stop (end of the line) and jump in a taxi there,... or take the ring subway down to the east/west line, exit at Wanfujing and walk half a mile.

Last edited by moondog; Nov 16, 2009 at 11:56 pm
Old Nov 16, 2009, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A taxi from the airport is a whopping $12-$14, why on Earth would you want to take public transport?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by omegadeal
Has anyone that has stayed here taken tours recommended from the hotel? I am thinking about arranging private tours while I am in Beijing for my wife and I.
You're better off buying a guide book and going it alone (visit the China forum for lots of exciting threads on the subject).
Old Nov 17, 2009, 7:11 pm

So whats the typical gold treatment at this property? upgrade to executive floors? possible larger room?
Old Nov 17, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
The suites look pretty good and at $270 USD per night I will probably just pay for one of the nicer suites rather than risking the chance on an upgrade. Perhaps I can get upgraded to the Penthouse suite
Old Nov 18, 2009, 1:19 am

hah I just want to burn my points thats why I want to do award nights there.
Old Dec 4, 2009, 11:13 am

bump this thread. Any recent gold experience at this hotel? any particular room that can see the forbidden city?
Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:35 am

Was there on a 5 night reward stay last week. Got upgraded to a deluxe (?) room (just as described by JDiver), and given access to the EL. The room was near the end of the hallway (x18) towards Wangfujing St., and one of the gates of the Forbidden City was kind-of visible at times (the worst sandstorm of the season hit, so visibility was often close to zero).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.