Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Beijing Wangfujing {CHN}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Marriott
Don't blame it on me!

Originally Posted by GoingAway
WHY? Because in YOUR culture, it is expected ... Wrong Approach! Tipping is not part of their culture, and therefore should not be an expecation nor "appropriate" in any instance. Attitudes like yours are why the tipping culture is quickly creeping around the globe -- that is NOT a good thing!

OP - if they had called to ensure you were satisfied with the service, that's one thing, but calling to ask if you tipped, is inappropriate regardless of the situation.
Uh, sorry GoingAway....but if the OP actually received a PHONE CALL ASKING IF HE HAD TIPPED, don't point your finger at me. I've never been there yet and if and when I do go, just like every other time, I will research the culture, expectations, which include tipping, and other things we may need to know in order to make our vacation go as smoothly as possible and also to make sure we do not affend anyone.

So you jumped the gun a little on this one....I am not the one that phoned the OP....blame someone else.

Dawn
Old Sep 13, 2009, 2:35 pm

Tipping for the most part did not and does not exist in china even today. Guess once the horses have left the barn......
Old Sep 13, 2009, 4:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Tips in China? In a hotel that makes a 17% "service charge?" And it may have been here they were going to send my bags up immediately - and left them gathering dust in a cart. No way...

But as to the call, I do know of some services, restaurants and hotels in some locations that require pooling the tips, and to retain a tip means discipline. Perhaps it was that innocent - or not. I'd write the GM how the call was perceived, and ask what the purpose was? If it was not innocent, somene needs to receive some feedback that this is inappropriate.

Originally Posted by xooz
<snip> Now perhaps they pool tips and did not believe I did not give that bellman a tip, and were confirming his story. But I felt like the phone call was inappropriate, either as a guilt trip or as a means of confirming customer service by the bellman. I believe I will send my thoughts to the GM of the hotel, as I don't believe that this was necessarily a customer friendly move, and certainly do not believe that they would have done anything similar for an Asian customer.

Am I wrong in this assessment? In the end, I went down and got change and tipped the bellman, but I felt squeezed. Maybe it was an innocent followup, but I interpreted it negatively.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:16 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
WHY? Because in YOUR culture, it is expected ... Wrong Approach! Tipping is not part of their culture, and therefore should not be an expecation nor "appropriate" in any instance. Attitudes like yours are why the tipping culture is quickly creeping around the globe -- that is NOT a good thing!

OP - if they had called to ensure you were satisfied with the service, that's one thing, but calling to ask if you tipped, is inappropriate regardless of the situation.
I mostly agree with you except I would argue that at hotel charging a service charge on the room rate etc is already forcing you to pay a pretty hefty mandatory tip so tipping has made it into their "culture" in a much worse way than we have it here.

At least I have a choice here.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Considering the Hiltons in Beijing add 17% to cover service fee and tax, it is reasonable not to tip-besides tipping in China is still pretty unusual, even with cabbies. I occasionally do anyway if the bellman is pleasant and goes a bit beyond.

Will be interested to see how this goes. I have been at Hilton Beijing last few days and they know me well enough not to touch my bags now.

Good stay and great service though^
In most Asia countries, not a single dime of those service fee goes to employee as tip, they are just pure revenue for the hotel
Old Sep 13, 2009, 7:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
while it may not go directly, some of it finds its way to staff through the "system".

http://www.shangri-la.com/en/propert.../facts/tipping

is still what the word is for most restaurants in Beijing.

$1-2 for bellboy and 3% in restaurants in Beijing is not unheard of. My Chinese friends DO NOT tip in restaurants although they may round up like I do in Europe. 20 Yuan for bellboy is my standard (when they must touch my bags).

Still, going after a customer for a tip is BAD form.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by yyliu88
In most Asia countries, not a single dime of those service fee goes to employee as tip, they are just pure revenue for the hotel
And how is that the problem of the guest? If I'm staying at a hotel I expect the hotel operator of the establishment has made arrangements for the appropriate level of staffing. That is particularly true when they charge a service charge. I can't stand when everyone working someplace has a hand out looking for money. Calling a room to check on a tip is extremely rude. A response call to the GM is definitely in order.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:00 pm

Programs: HHonor Gold;Hyatt Diamond;SPG Platinum
Given these specific circumstances (no small bills and in a country where tipping is not mandatory), I did not feel especially guilty about leaving no tip, until the phone call. Now perhaps they pool tips and did not believe I did not give that bellman a tip, and were confirming his story. But I felt like the phone call was inappropriate, either as a guilt trip or as a means of confirming customer service by the bellman. ...
I guess you are partially right about this. My thought is that they don't pool the tips, but deprive the bellman of a certain portion of the tips every time. For example, you tip the bellman RMB 20. The bellman may just retain RMB 10 or even less, the remaining will be pocketed by so-called "boss", maybe the senior staff or maybe the head of hotel conceige, or both.

The story reminds me of some travel instructions in some Lonely Planet books. It says that when you encounter beggars, don't give them money. Because in some dog-eat-dog world, all the money you give them will be taken away by someone else with violence.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Am I the only one who is confused as to where the "extortion" comes in here?
Old Sep 14, 2009, 12:04 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HHonor Diamond, Hyatt PLAT, Marriott PLat, UA 1K, AA EXP, DL PLAT, BMI Gold, Co PLAT
Originally Posted by xyzzy
And how is that the problem of the guest? If I'm staying at a hotel I expect the hotel operator of the establishment has made arrangements for the appropriate level of staffing. That is particularly true when they charge a service charge. I can't stand when everyone working someplace has a hand out looking for money. Calling a room to check on a tip is extremely rude. A response call to the GM is definitely in order.
I don't think the phone was asking for tip, it just a boss to check out some new employees. because tipping is not recommended and not encouraged.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 5:52 am

Yes, my use of the word "extortion" is probably extreme, though it did have the effect of making me leave my room. get change and find the guy to give him a tip. I suppose that is my problem and not theirs...perhaps. As for whether they were trying to police their staff, that is the most likely reason, however, they need to do that policing without calling their customers (my opinion).

I have e-mailed the Front Office manager with my comments (the stay was great otherwise and I told them that) and have asked them for a response. Will advise.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, my use of the word "extortion" is probably extreme, though it did have the effect of making me leave my room. get change and find the guy to give him a tip. I suppose that is my problem and not theirs...perhaps. As for whether they were trying to police their staff, that is the most likely reason, however, they need to do that policing without calling their customers (my opinion). I have e-mailed the Front Office manager with my comments (the stay was great otherwise and I told them that) and have asked them for a response. Will advise.
I cant imagine anyone doing this for a tip. I view a tip as totally voluntary and will never tip if it is suggested by wording or writing in any manner.

MisterNice
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"I don't think the phone was asking for tip, it just a boss to check out some new employees. because tipping is not recommended and not encouraged."

This sounds more plausible as an explanation to me. The OP doesn't really say that he was extorted to tip only that they asked if he did tip. More info needed. I certainly wouldn't be upset given this potentially new context.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyliu88
I don't think the phone was asking for tip, it just a boss to check out some new employees. because tipping is not recommended and not encouraged.
I am gonna side with this thought as well. Bizarre nonetheless.
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: AGR,CO,PC,AA
Tipping is not part of their culture, and therefore should not be an expecation nor "appropriate" in any instance.
I wonder if they expect the tip since it is part of the travelers home culture even though it is inappropriate in local culture and not figured in the wages?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.