Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Interesting post from Sawtooth.

I have to say I might have had the same experience at Spruce had I not gotten up about 20 minutes into our lunch there to talk to the manager about how bad our waiter was. They fixed it immediately by putting someone else on our table and having our waiter watch that person. Turns out it was a new waiter his first day and he was clueless.

I also got a bit of an impression that the concierge was not so helpful however we did not really use them. We asked them briefly about arranging catering for our party and they chatted on about this and that. We just went ahead and called the lizard restaurant up the street and told them we wanted mexican food for 8 people and what dishes we wanted and they had it waiting for us the next day to pick up. The bell people were quite helpful transporting a car full of mexican food up to our room and said we picked a good restaurant for the catering.

We did however get an amazing room and the checkin was fabulous. This was in the summer and I was at the time silver with Hilton, staying 6 days. The hotel was not full and there may not have been many honors people there we were treated more or less how I would expect as Diamond, not Silver.

In general we found the front desk staff to be very professional and helpful. I'm sorry you had some bad ones in the lot.

In general I found the Waldorf to be very responsive whenever I told them about a problem at the hotel. I made sure to tell someone early on rather than waiting a long time for them to fix something. They were quite responsive.

Also strangely enough a guest sent a bottle of wine to our room apologizing for noise that their children made. We never heard any noise or complained about any noise so we were a bit puzzled as to why we got the wine, and since there was no name written on it we just drank the wine.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by businesstraveller2
Interesting post from Sawtooth.

I have to say I might have had the same experience at Spruce had I not gotten up about 20 minutes into our lunch there to talk to the manager about how bad our waiter was. They fixed it immediately by putting someone else on our table and having our waiter watch that person. Turns out it was a new waiter his first day and he was clueless.

I also got a bit of an impression that the concierge was not so helpful however we did not really use them. We asked them briefly about arranging catering for our party and they chatted on about this and that. We just went ahead and called the lizard restaurant up the street and told them we wanted mexican food for 8 people and what dishes we wanted and they had it waiting for us the next day to pick up. The bell people were quite helpful transporting a car full of mexican food up to our room and said we picked a good restaurant for the catering.

I think our issue had more to do with the kitchen at Spruce than the waiter. We found the wait and bar staff to be pretty good. It just didn't appear that the kitchen could get food out.

You're lucky you took your catering into your own hands. If I were staying at an HGI, I might have done likewise. I guess I just expected the concierge at a Waldorf Astoria to be able to handle an anniversary dinner reservation, and failing that, to accommodate me in his own dining room if he spaced the off-property reservation.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, National Executive, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by sawtooth
I think our issue had more to do with the kitchen at Spruce than the waiter. We found the wait and bar staff to be pretty good. It just didn't appear that the kitchen could get food out.

You're lucky you took your catering into your own hands. If I were staying at an HGI, I might have done likewise. I guess I just expected the concierge at a Waldorf Astoria to be able to handle an anniversary dinner reservation, and failing that, to accommodate me in his own dining room if he spaced the off-property reservation.
I had a few moments with the cook at Spruce. It was really the menu. They took what would have been some really nice dishes and added dashes of weirdness to them that ruined them IMO in the name of trying to be creative. Oh well. Still the atmosphere - dinner out on the patio one night - was fantastic. And we lucked out with head-on view of the fireworks on July 3 from our balcony. I'm guessing that it may be a bit tough to get perfect staff in Park City some will be rough around the edges. Living in LA and all I am a tough food critic and Spruce did not pass my tough critic test. Meaning that I was willing to put up with the food for the ambiance but I would not go out of my way to go there just for the food. Not by a longshot and especially not at those prices.
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:11 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
sawtooth....thanks for taking time to write a true horror story. A horror story because every problem mentioned was created by ill trained and tempered staff. The way I'm treated at check-in sets the tone for what I am willing to spend on property. Crappy room location and the only meals taken on premise will be the included breakfast. The hotel will see nothing for incidentals. If they do the right thing at check-in, the spending flows in favor of the hotel.

And you have contributed living proof that concierge is one of the most misused words in the USA.

Sorry for your experience, but thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: United GS+
Spa

I will be visiting the WA Park City in a few weeks. I plan on using a lot of their spa services but the prices are up there (200+ for a massage).

Does anyone know of any discounts for their spa services?
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Mrs. Ink and I will be there for four days in a couple of weeks. We will report back.

We are taking a road trip from Denver to SLC, all HHonors points and certs. We will stay in two HGI's, two HI's and four days at the WA. It is my plan to write a full trip report for the WEST forum and link here.

I hope our stay is better......

Ink.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Interesting to note that this winter, the rates are more than double what they were the last two winters. Last summer I was able to book the most basic room for around $300 and a suite for about $550. This winter the absolute lowest price is set at $750. Oddly enough, both winters I've skied there, the hotel has been only at about 50% full. I wonder if they just realized the people who do stay will pay the higher amount or what the reasoning is.

Hoping they have to drop the price again-- I'd love to be back this winter!
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:43 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT,HH DIAMOND,HYATT GOLD, AA EXEC PLAT
Yes totally right. Last year we went to the park city waldorf in mid december before the rate increase of christmas week. We booked a 1 king bed suite for around 300. We had a blast. Ive been watching the rates this year since august and your correct the rates are double + from last year. Even in the low season they are still asking for 650 for standard room !!! Im hoping they realize this is crazzy high price for low season rates.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:08 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Just wanted to deliver a little post-script on this post.

After a few months and a couple emails, Hilton Customer Service got in touch with me. They apologized and promised to make it right.

Without going into detail, they went out of their way to compensate us for the rotten experience and asked us to give WA=Park City another shot.

We're bringing the kids for a week in March. I'll let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by sawtooth
Here you go:

Great building and great location. That said, had an absolute nightmare of a stay (paid) there in March. For context, I'm a diamond and a quiet guy. Have never complained about a stay at a HH property before. I've never sent a complaint. High(low)lights:

1) Couldn't check in until five minutes after guaranteed check in for general people. Woman at check in (Piper) seemed like she would have done anything to not be at work that day. Only informative thing she told us was that we weren't upgraded.

2) Paid for a one bedroom suite and got what must have been the worst one in the building (on the first floor, directly adjacent to the elevator and entrance to pools, view of some sort of metal maintenance shed)

3) Front desk folks were curt to the point of being rude.

4) Took, literally, an hour between ordering breakfast at Spruce and getting our food on four of five mornings. Order was messed up 3 of 5 times.

5) The Massive Screw Up: Went to the concierge on first night of stay (Bill, Georgia Tech grad) to make a dinner reservation for my anniversary. Conceirge talked my ear off about potentially buying property in Park City but no big deal. Conciege agreed to book me into Prime (off property) at 8:00 on a Friday. Thought I was all set.

Called the concierge morning of to confirm. No record of anything. No reservation at Prime. Prime sold out. Bill not working. Given this giant gaffe, I asked to be accommodated in the restaurant on property (Spruce) for my anniversary dinner. The concierge refused saying only that they were "sold out" for the evening. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. This is the closest I've ever come to raising my voice at a hotel staff member (didn't, of course).

Instead they booked me at a restaurant off property called "Farm" at 9:00. Farm had been open for two weeks at that time. Upon arrival, they showed us to our table literally two feet from the wait station where I had a waiter's ... a foot from my face most of the dinner. Service was bad (they never brought my wife's soup or my salad and missed up my wife's entrée order) and the food was spotty.

No call from a WA manager of any kind to apologize for the situation. No recognition by anyone that there was even a problem except for a twenty something "concierge" who was trying hopelessly to find me someplace to eat on my anniversary.

6) $750 delta in hotel's favor between what I should have been charged and what was on the bill. Doubly frustrating given I stopped by the front desk the night before checkout to make sure they didn't charge us for breakfasts (booked the "best of Waldorf" rate which includes $50 for breakfast each day and some resort credits). Only went to desk in advance because given how bad the stay was, felt sure they would mess it up otherwise. Was assured everything was all set. Next morning at 6:00, bill was totally messed up and the errors were exactly the ones I had told them not to make.

Still bad, but funnier:

1) When my wife and I take pleasure trips to Conrads or WA's we always buy a couple bathrobes to commemorate whatever occasion. Ordered mine on first day of stay with front desk staff (again with Piper). Again, given the almost comically bad service over the course of the stay, reconfirmed with front desk staff night before departure. Front desk girl: "I have no record of you ordering bathrobes." So, I order them again including giving the girl my address and telling her to charge them to my Hilton Amex. She said, "you're all set. We're shipping the robes to you and you'll have them in two days." It's June. Still no robes. I'm giggling inside.

2) Card keys were hit or miss for the gate to the pool and hottubs. So, it's snowing outside and about 35 degrees and a group of 10 or so of us have just exited the hottubs. My key doesn't work to re-open the gate. Everyone else tries. Theirs don't work either. A bunch of us standing there wet and freezing waiting for some person to come into the area so we could get inside where it's warm. It was pretty funny.

3) Last night of stay had dinner at Spruce (only on property restaurant). Waiter was cool. We asked for a recommendation. He insisted we have the Wagyu beef. Wife and I both ordered it.

While waiting for dinner, some dude from Barclay's (they were having a corporate event there) stood in the middle of the restaurant about 10 feet from us (totally empty) talking loudly with the manager about logistics for his team dinner later that evening. This guy was the loudest talker on the planet. Went on for fifteen minutes. Dinner was to be held in private room which was vacant at the time. Apparently, conversation about the dinner couldn't also have taken place in there. My wife and I were giggling at how loud this conversation was in an empty dining room.

Fast forward five minutes: Restaurant manager comes over to greet us. I was floored because this was the first time someone not wearing a bellmans' cap had gone out of his way to make us feel welcome. After five minutes worth of small talk he gets to the real reason he's come over. "We're out of the Wagyu," he says.

Keep in mind that we're probably the second table for the evening. We say ok and order something else.

Waiter comes back three minutes later and asks if the manager told us the news. We say, "yeah, you're out of the Wagyu." Waiter (God bless his naive honesty) says, "No, we're not out of it. It's one of the three entrée choices on the set menu for the Barclays guys and we have to hold enough back so that if every single one of them orders it, we don't run out."

I say: (and this is about as acerbic as I ever get): "please tell the manager that if he's trying to make me feel like the least significant person on the planet, he's doing great so far."

No re-visit from manager.

A few days after returning home, I get the boiler plate survey. I'm honest in the survey.

A couple days later, I get a voicemail from Piper wondering why me experience was so bad. Given that she was part of that experience, didn't return the phone call.

Hilton would be well served to take the Bell staff, the ski valets and the turn-down guys out of the hotel (who were all fantastic) and replace everyone still left in the building.

Worst experience I've ever had at a HH property and put a dent in what was otherwise another great anniversary with my beautiful bride. When you drop almost $4,000 for a five night stay, you expect much, much better.

Net-Net: Before this trip, no other hotel company but Hilton had gotten a single dollar of my money for 2.5 years. Between the end of March and now, Starwood has gotten $7,800 and Hilton has snagged only $1500 or so.

If you're planning a trip to Park City to ski and want to stay somewhere where you treated well , take a look at the St. Regis at Deer Valley.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:56 am

I'm headed here in feb on a reward stay, regular king room. Im a diamond member and this is my first time booking a reward stay. Anyone have recent luck with an upgrade room here on a reward stay. Im a newbie, thanks
Old Dec 29, 2011, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Staying here next week on an award stay in a King Bed Deluxe Room with Mrs. 4bande and sons. Was hoping for more snow so we'll see how it goes. I will report back!

Any tips? I did get a message from the hotel asking if there was anything I needed before I arrived (like reservations to restaurants).

I noticed that the difference in rate for my room (Deluxe Room) and a 1 bedroom suite was $120/night ($689 vs $809) if paying, but over 200k points/night difference. Is there any chance for an upgrade (I'm a Gold).
Old Dec 29, 2011, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Do Platinum free night and upgrade certs work at this property?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by jgsx
Do Platinum free night and upgrade certs work at this property?
Platinum? I think you are talking about a different program.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lewende
Platinum? I think you are talking about a different program.
Whoops I mixed this up with a tread I'm following on the Fairmont forum.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 9:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by 4BandE
Staying here next week on an award stay in a King Bed Deluxe Room with Mrs. 4bande and sons. Was hoping for more snow so we'll see how it goes. I will report back!

Any tips? I did get a message from the hotel asking if there was anything I needed before I arrived (like reservations to restaurants).

I noticed that the difference in rate for my room (Deluxe Room) and a 1 bedroom suite was $120/night ($689 vs $809) if paying, but over 200k points/night difference. Is there any chance for an upgrade (I'm a Gold).
If your kids will mind sleeping together on the sofabed, absolutely call and reserve a rollaway!!! Do not assume that one will be available. The hotel was at full occupancy this week.

As for snow, it was rain today, rain/snow tomorrow then nothing until maybe next Friday...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.