Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2012, 6:15 am

Programs: Southwest A-list, Hiltonhonors Diamond, Delta, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum,
Yes they do have a shuttle that goes to deer valley and park city. This hotel is amazing as I have stayed here for a week each of the past 2 Januaries and have been upgraded both times (diamond). Last time I had an amazing two floor suite with a huge kitchen all Viking appliances and two fireplaces. I would def recommend this hotel. One of the best I have ever stayed in!
Old Jul 1, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by srittle001
Yes they do have a shuttle that goes to deer valley and park city. This hotel is amazing as I have stayed here for a week each of the past 2 Januaries and have been upgraded both times (diamond). Last time I had an amazing two floor suite with a huge kitchen all Viking appliances and two fireplaces. I would def recommend this hotel. One of the best I have ever stayed in!
That's great to hear! I have booked 8 nights for January too as I am very flush Hilton points and looking forward to it, it does look very nice

Curious how does the shuttle work - where do they drop you off at each resort, and how do you arrange to get picked up to go back at the end of the day?
Old Jul 1, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: Southwest A-list, Hiltonhonors Diamond, Delta, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum,
If I recall it leaves every 30 min and takes you to the base of the resort. I rented a car so I drove everyday only so I didn't have to wait on anything.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
That's great to hear! I have booked 8 nights for January too as I am very flush Hilton points and looking forward to it, it does look very nice

Curious how does the shuttle work - where do they drop you off at each resort, and how do you arrange to get picked up to go back at the end of the day?
They were regularly scheduled and did stop at Park City Mt. Resort first (at the PCMR-designated drop off/pickup location), then Main Street, then Deer Valley resort (at the Snow Park area - if you want to go up to Silver Lake, you're on your own). For Canyons resort, you either walk across the street or get driven in the Waldorf's winterized golf carts and hop on the Waldorf gondola up to the Canyons base area. You will get picked up at the same place you were dropped off. The shuttles also had a "pick up" time schedule, no need to call. I can't remember the exact time, but there is a "last shuttle" time to be picked up at each resort, something like an hour after last chair. Don't quote me on that. The time that they showed up could vary by 5-10 minutes or so, depending on the amount of traffic on the roads and weather conditions, especially at the end of the ski day. Yes, Park City DOES get "rush hour" traffic :-)
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:03 pm

Programs: amex plat, fairmont plat, hilton gold, aeroplan 1m+
Waldorf Astoria Park City Nightmare

I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Park City recently. In the afternoon of my first day I went out for dinner, and when I returned, all of my belongings were spread on the floor. Housekeeping from turndown service had dropped my couture bags, my favorite sailing shirt, and some other niceties onto the floor. They also dropped and broke my cell phone.

Total cost of the damages $1,500.

After three weeks, management called me today and admitted that their housekeeping had put all of my belongings on the floor, and took responsibility for damaging my property. They could only afford to compensate for half of the damage, and said they would mail a check for $795.

I spoke with HHonors, who said that next time I stay at a Hilton property, I should not leave my luggage in the room when I go out.

My loyalty to Hilton is now over.

Serendipitously, my SPG gold card (via Amex Plat) just arrived today. I think the universe is telling me something.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Originally Posted by sarah-ivy
I spoke with HHonors, who said that next time I stay at a Hilton property, I should not leave my luggage in the room when I go out.
And where exactly would they like you to keep your luggage while you're staying in their room, at their property? I know, you can keep it at the Fairmont Hotel.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:17 pm

Hilton Guest Assistance has so little faith in their own hotels. I was advised to take my luggage with me. They kept calling my Ducati luggage "high end", and affirming that such "valuable items" should be locked in the in-room safe or taken with me while I go out to dinner.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:47 pm
Community Director Emerita

Did you take pictures for hotel management? Did they come to the room and see the damage?

And why would housekeeping drop your belongings on the floor? What a strange thing to have happen at even the poorest of the poor hotels, let along a highend one.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:23 pm

you must have had the world's most expensive cell phone.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by sarah-ivy
I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Park City recently. In the afternoon of my first day I went out for dinner, and when I returned, all of my belongings were spread on the floor. Housekeeping from turndown service had dropped my couture bags, my favorite sailing shirt, and some other niceties onto the floor. They also dropped and broke my cell phone.

Total cost of the damages $1,500.

After three weeks, management called me today and admitted that their housekeeping had put all of my belongings on the floor, and took responsibility for damaging my property. They could only afford to compensate for half of the damage, and said they would mail a check for $795.

My loyalty to Hilton is now over.

Serendipitously, my SPG gold card (via Amex Plat) just arrived today. I think the universe is telling me something.
Where did you put your luggage that it would be "dropped" on the floor by housekeeping?
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:01 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Same here... Please give us more details of what was damaged and how. Surely dropping luggage from, say, the height of the bed to the carpeted floor could not have destroyed it? And even the most expensive iPhone shouldn't cost more than $850 to replace.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 7:46 pm

Here are some more details, inane and verbose as it may be:

As soon as I saw the mess on the floor, I called the front desk. They literally said "well, what do you want us to do about it". They were not surprised, and did not seem to care. They did not send anyone up either. I was in a state of complete shock that my personal property was handled in such an egregiously improper way, so I called HHonors. I have never experienced anything like that, so I was not sure what else to do. I was on the phone with them for almost an hour. I gave them a full report on the scene, where everything was, and the manner in which they lay. And then I checked out, and stayed at another hotel. The staff did not say much to me when I checked out. It felt like they did not care.

All my bags were on the floor, including my handbags. The floor was not that clean, and there were soil marks on my couture bags. It is not surprising since people wear outdoor shoes in the room. I had some precious items inside one of my bags that were broken. There was a box in my bag that was previously pristine that exhibited a crunch on the corner, which probably came from the drop.

I also had my iPad which was closed in one corner of the room, and upon my return, the case was open and on the other side of the room.

The $1500 amount was not exclusively for the cell phone, which by the way, Vertu phones cost several times that. My android was just part of the amount. It is costing me $1500 to replace everything that was damaged. It does not include the cost of cleaning my leather goods.

The hotel was not polite with me afterwards when they read the claim from HHonors. They were pejorative. They held what they called an 'investigation', for the past few weeks, to ascertain if my claim was really true. Today, the assistant manager called me and told me that the housekeeping staff admitted to putting all of my belongings on the floor. I had kept some belongings on the bed, and it seemed that housekeeping entered the room for turndown service, put all of my belongings on the floor, and intended to put them back on the bed after it was made, but decided to just leave it all there. Anyway, they admitted guilt, and the hotel took responsibility for damaging my belongings, but capped the compensation at $795. HHonors said they could not assist with encouraging the Waldorf Astoria to increase the compensation.

I found it rather ridiculous that they would admit that it was permissible for their staff to enter rooms for turndown service, and put belongings on the floor with the intention to put them back up afterwards. So if you are staying at a Hilton property, and you come back into your room after housekeeping was there, and if there is something on your bed, it was likely on the floor while your bed was being made. Couture clothing is no exception to this proletarian behavior either, because I found my favorite sailing polo on the ground.

I am not sure if I would ever call the WA Park City a "high end" hotel. We saw the valet people racing guests cars around, and they screeched my tires peeling off the driveway when we first arrived. I treat my car like a baby, and I had never heard my tires screech before, until valet took it.

After my experience I think the WA PC is likely meant for the 99%. If you value yourself, or value your property, the St. Regis down the street is surely a nicer place.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
It sounds like the OP packed up and left without having an on-site rep come look at the "mess". I feel like that should've happened regardless of what the front desk response was. I would not have left without a personal inspection and therefore have a hard time understanding this whole situation.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I'm sorry to hear about that. It must have been a very dirty floor indeed to soil luggage so greatly that it needed to be replaced. I guess I still don't quite understand how $1500 damage was done. To be honest, I'm OCD and there are very few things that I have declared a total loss just for having been placed on the floor (food and toothbrushes being the notable exceptions). Was the iPad actually broken or was it just moved. I've dropped my iTouch hundreds of times and it's still going strong.

This is going to be an expensive lesson in always put the "Do Not Disturb" sign as soon as you check-in to your room and never take anything that you can't afford to easily replace on to an airplane or to a hotel.

FTers are a pretty whinge-y bunch in general and if you have trouble selling us on it then it's no wonder you haven't sold Hilton on it.

Honestly, you've done pretty well getting $700 out of them. The only thing I've gleaned from your story, in spite of the many words, is that housekeeping put your stuff on the floor, your stuff got dirty, and you are flaming mad about it. In a court of law you'd only get the depreciated value of your 'ruined' items not replacement value. Unless you bought all this stuff a week before you checked in, then 50% of the value is pretty darn good. You've already advocated very well for yourself. If it were my hotel I'd not having given you $20 for some moved items and 'dirty' bags.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Hi everyone

Please refrain from rude comments - if you have questions, of course go ahead and ask but please don't be accusatory.
thanks

squeakr

co Mod HH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.