Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Park City {US-UT}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:24 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lewende
Breakfast is not a W=A published benefit for any HHonors members, even diamonds.
Thanks for the help! I haven't stayed at many W=A properties!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I wish I knew this earlier - WAPC charged me $100 resort fee last Dec. ($25x4). It was a revenue stay.
They are charging everyone the resort fee on paid stays. Over the summer and fall, Diamonds had it waived all the time. Then, it changed again to charge everyone but Diamonds on points stays. Then, it changed again to be everyone on a points stay is not charged, but everyone else is charged, status or not. It really is a local decision. But, I believe that the resort fee on points is now absorbed by the Honors program or whoever the hotel charges for the stay (yes, there IS a charge to someplace for the stay).

Don't complain to the Front Desk about the charge and demand to get it removed. it only puts the Front Desk agent in an uncomfortable situation. The agents didn't charge the fee, the hotel did. How would you like to be complained at for something you had nothing to do with? It's the new business model - every charge a local hotel is allowed to try by Hilton will be trotted out. The "resort fee" seems to be the easiest for a hotel to do, along with the dreaded parking fee. There are late checkout fees for some, early checkout fees for some (if you leave earlier than your departure date), there are cancellation fees, etc. Just the airlines charging for things they never did before. Get used to it
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by slidergirl
They are charging everyone the resort fee on paid stays. Over the summer and fall, Diamonds had it waived all the time. Then, it changed again to charge everyone but Diamonds on points stays. Then, it changed again to be everyone on a points stay is not charged, but everyone else is charged, status or not. It really is a local decision. But, I believe that the resort fee on points is now absorbed by the Honors program or whoever the hotel charges for the stay (yes, there IS a charge to someplace for the stay).

Don't complain to the Front Desk about the charge and demand to get it removed. it only puts the Front Desk agent in an uncomfortable situation. The agents didn't charge the fee, the hotel did. How would you like to be complained at for something you had nothing to do with? It's the new business model - every charge a local hotel is allowed to try by Hilton will be trotted out. The "resort fee" seems to be the easiest for a hotel to do, along with the dreaded parking fee. There are late checkout fees for some, early checkout fees for some (if you leave earlier than your departure date), there are cancellation fees, etc. Just the airlines charging for things they never did before. Get used to it
You don't complain to the front desk clerk. You are correct, they are only doing their job and it isn't fair to put them in that position. You ask to speak to the manager on duty or the GM over this. They have the power to remove this abusrd fee and to pass on the complaints to the powers that be at the hotel.

As a fellow diamond, I am sure you are sick of the resort fees as well. If diamonds complain, the more likely they will be to stop these charges. A hotel chain should not be charging their top tiers these fees.

The Tropicana in Veegas was going to try charging all guests a resort fee and enough people complained about it on this forum that they are doing the right thing and waiving it for diamonds.

The cancel and early check out fees I don't have an issue with if the property is sold out. But for a future reference, you can probably get around a cancel fee next time by calling the diamond desk if it's a flight cancel. I have had flights cancel past the hotel deadlline and when you call the diamond desk they will contact the property who will normally waive it providing you give them the flight info and they can verify the flight cancelled.

To be fair to this resort they are GREAT with diamond upgrades though. I was very pleased with the upgrade I received.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I am staying at the WA Park City this coming weekend using the two weekend night certificates from the Citi Hilton Reserve Visa, and I just noticed something strange with my reservation. When I reserved it, I was somehow placed into a King Deluxe Room (which appeared to be a step above the standard guest room). My account now lists my room as a King Studio Room. Is this an upgrade? What's the difference between the two? I'm not hoping for any type of suite upgrade (since the hotel appeared to be quite full last time I checked), but I just wanted to know what to expect!

(And here's hoping that my resort fee is waived )
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Deemus7
I am staying at the WA Park City this coming weekend using the two weekend night certificates from the Citi Hilton Reserve Visa, and I just noticed something strange with my reservation. When I reserved it, I was somehow placed into a King Deluxe Room (which appeared to be a step above the standard guest room). My account now lists my room as a King Studio Room. Is this an upgrade? What's the difference between the two? I'm not hoping for any type of suite upgrade (since the hotel appeared to be quite full last time I checked), but I just wanted to know what to expect!

(And here's hoping that my resort fee is waived )
Just ask for the manager on duty to waive the resort fee. YMMV, but you aren't out anything asking.

You were probably preupgraded by the hotel already and that is why the room type changed online.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Don't complain to the Front Desk about the charge and demand to get it removed. it only puts the Front Desk agent in an uncomfortable situation.
No need to cry over spoiled milk, bygones.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
No need to cry over spoiled milk, bygones.
Just sayin'. Walk a mile in their shoes and you'll know

As far as the 'King Deluxe" vs "King Studio" issue: It really is the same room. Depending on when you did the initial booking, you could see either room. The first renaming happened a few months ago. Another renaming of types happened last week.

Either way, right now you have a room with a king bed, a sofa bed, kitchenette with 2 burner stove, microwave, and fridge. OK for 2, tight squeeze for 4.

This hotel usually does not do the updates until the night before (if not busy), or the morning of (if busy).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond, DL GM, National Executive, Marriott Silver
I stayed here in December for 4 nights on points... The "King Deluxe Room" or "King Studio Room" is the standard reward room at the property I believe. The only real difference is that is has a very well appointed kitchenette complete with Stainless appliances (even Viking appliances which shocked me).

Also even though I used points, there was no resort fee on my bill at checkout. So you may not have to ask for that to be waved.

Enjoy your stay. I loved the ski valet, whirlpool tub with TV in the bathroom, free hot coco and smore at night, and so much more.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:44 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
I have a 4 night award stay next week. I have 2 regular rooms reserved. I am hoping to get the rooms connected, or even better, upgraded to one of the 1 or 2-bedroom suites. Online, they are still showing those 1,2 bedroom units available. I was originally planning to wait until I got an email from their concierge and then ask them politely if I could get connecting rooms or get upgraded. However, my stay starts Sunday and I have not yet gotten an email. Do you guys think I should send an email to their generic concierge address? Or, should I sit tight? I am HH Gold.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by bluto
I have a 4 night award stay next week. I have 2 regular rooms reserved. I am hoping to get the rooms connected, or even better, upgraded to one of the 1 or 2-bedroom suites. Online, they are still showing those 1,2 bedroom units available. I was originally planning to wait until I got an email from their concierge and then ask them politely if I could get connecting rooms or get upgraded. However, my stay starts Sunday and I have not yet gotten an email. Do you guys think I should send an email to their generic concierge address? Or, should I sit tight? I am HH Gold.
Concierge can't help getting an upgrade - they are a different group. All they can do is tell you that the upgrade is based on availability for the duration of your stay at the time of checkin. Seriously, I would call their local number during weekday business hours and ask for the in-house reservationist, NOT the Front Desk. That person is responsible for making sure the rooms are blocked out for 2 bedrooms and bigger. Otherwise, you'll be rolling the dice during end of President's Week and start of Spring Breaks around here, one of the absolutely busiest time in Park City, not just at the Waldorf Astoria. A one bedroom would get you one king bedroom and a sofa bed in the living room.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 8:02 pm

Programs: A few
Here is my full write up on the property, including many pictures. Much of the commentary is a repeat of what I posted earlier but hopefully the pictures and other details will be useful.

I am already trying to work out when we can go back here... though I want to go back to Whistler too.... sigh... so many places, so little time!!!
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sharklover
The Canyons is probably the best of the 3. There is a shuttle that goes to Park City and then Deer Valley. If you go to Deer Valley it will waste around 45min to an hour in your day. I would say maybe its worth it for 1 day but I would spend most of my time at the Canyons.
I can't comment on the WA (considering burning the last of my HHonors points here though location is not optimal) but as an avid skier who has visited Park City several times I would strongly disagree with this statement. Canyons is mediocre for any serious skier. Alta is probably the best but a bit of a haul. Park City is the most challenging of the nearby resorts but is sometimes iced over or barren, depending on the snowfall. My personal fav is Deer Valley, the right combination of top notch skiing plus luxurious amenities. Yes, it's 20-30 minutes from WA but well worth the trip. And no way you'll get a free room there - the closest chain property would be the Marriott timeshares or hotel in downtown Park City.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bluto
I ended up lucking out and got upgraded to a 2BR suite. Somehow my request got forwarded around to the right person so that by the time I checked in, they let me know an upgrade would be available the next day (I checked in pretty late). Overall, this was a pretty convenient place to stay for skiing. The staff seemed very helpful in all respects. I would agree with the comment, though, that Canyons is not the best in the area for skiing. After 2-3 days, I felt that we had pretty much completely explored the mountain, and there weren't any runs I was dying to do again. However, this is certainly no fault of the WA. I could hardly think of anything more to ask of the property.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:22 am

As far as the 'King Deluxe" vs "King Studio" issue: It really is the same room. Depending on when you did the initial booking, you could see either room. The first renaming happened a few months ago. Another renaming of types happened last week.

Either way, right now you have a room with a king bed, a sofa bed, kitchenette with 2 burner stove, microwave, and fridge. OK for 2, tight squeeze for 4.
With the devaluation, I'm trying to get some vacations planned that I normally wouldn't be thinking about so far in advance. I've been watching availability to book for March 2014 (waiting for the inventory to open up) and up until 2 days ago, there was wide open availability in both Jan & Feb 2014 at standard 60k redemption level for both the "2 Queen - Gas Fireplace" and "1 King Studio" rooms.

As of 2/27, it looks like they have introduced a room category "1 King - Gas Fireplace" and this is now the only room bookable at standard 60k level. Anyone have any intel on what is going on? Is this a permanent recategorization of what they consider to be the standard room type?

I'm trying to book for a family of 4 (2 small boys), and the "1 King - Gas Fireplace" room does not show a pull-out sofa and does not show up when I search with 4 occupants. I know the other rooms would be a tight squeeze, but this would seem to be too tight entirely.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mberlew
With the devaluation, I'm trying to get some vacations planned that I normally wouldn't be thinking about so far in advance. I've been watching availability to book for March 2014 (waiting for the inventory to open up) and up until 2 days ago, there was wide open availability in both Jan & Feb 2014 at standard 60k redemption level for both the "2 Queen - Gas Fireplace" and "1 King Studio" rooms.

As of 2/27, it looks like they have introduced a room category "1 King - Gas Fireplace" and this is now the only room bookable at standard 60k level. Anyone have any intel on what is going on? Is this a permanent recategorization of what they consider to be the standard room type?

I'm trying to book for a family of 4 (2 small boys), and the "1 King - Gas Fireplace" room does not show a pull-out sofa and does not show up when I search with 4 occupants. I know the other rooms would be a tight squeeze, but this would seem to be too tight entirely.
WAPC did a big re-ordering of their rooms the middle of February. The idea behind it is to increase revenue by opening up more standard King rooms for sale. The 4 bedrooms don't show up anymore, but you can reserve them by calling the inhouse reservations ladies directly. All of the "1 King- Gas Fireplace" rooms are the generic bedrooms that normally are connectors to a 2, 3, and 4 bedroom suite. It is just that, a small bedroom with a King bed, a fireplace, a TV, a dresser, and a bathroom. No sofa, no desk, no chair. Depending on whether or not this is an owner unit that is in the rental pool, a closet may or may not be available. There are no standalone King or Queen rooms.
DO NOT book this room if there are 4 of you, even if two are small kids. There is not enough room for a rollaway in these rooms. A "2 Queen - Gas Fireplace" is the same connector room, but with 2 queens instead of a king bed. That being said, if you are looking to get an upgrade, the 2Q room will severely handicap that. There are only 2 suites in the hotel that have 2 queens in the master bedroom. I would go for the King Studio as a minimum. You have the king bed, the sofa bed, fireplace, TV, dresser, and a small kitchenette (microwave, little refrig, 2 burner stove). If you get upgraded, you'd still have to put the kids on the sofabed, but you have a living room and a big kitchen.
If you roll the dice and go for the King or Queen in hopes of getting an upgrade, if you don't get the upgrade, don't say you weren't warned

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.