Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:33 pm

Hi tjs121.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not knocking you but 6 hours of research won't get you close to the answer you're looking for. I spent somewhere in the vicinity of 200 - 300 hours researching our first trip to Rangali so you can get an idea of how much time one can spend on this kind of thing. Mind you, in addition to spending time to choose the resort, it was not only to get an idea of overall value by looking at menus and getting to know the prices of everything but a whole bunch of other information as well, such as villa selection, excursions, spa treatments for the missus, etc etc.

Hopefully I can save you a lot of time with the following summary:
There are now quite a few resorts vastly more expensive than Rangali and a lot quite a bit cheaper, too. Pricewise, Rangali is situated in the middle and considering its brand (being a Conrad), size, number of villas, privacy, service (excellent placement in the 'rankings' as with the really luxurious properties you aren't really getting that much more for your money, service-wise), staff to guest ratio and sheer variation as far as food and beverage goes (not only 'fancy' food but reasonably priced options and remembering that it's the biggest F&B operation in the Maldives), it's right in the sweet spot and I'm sure many on this thread would agree. I'm not a millionnaire so I don't have money to burn but I have paid cash for a couple of trips out of the 5 we've been there. Those were in low season which is when you are thinking of going (makes sense to burn your points in high season and pay cash in low). If you have Hilton points then it's extremely good value, especially considering you can now get an OWV / OWB for the same number of points as a BV(beach villa). If you are paying cash in low season I am of the opinion that it's still excellent value. After they have renovated the OWVs I'm sure the cash prices of everything will be going up (as they will have renovated all villas by that time) and so I believe that before this happens (see my post I made about renovations a page or two back for expected completion dates) is the best time to go there on a cash stay.

That was the long answer. Short answer: get your butts over to Rangali while the going's good! You won't regret it in the least!

And if you need help with a dining plan (I know it sounds weird but believe me it's a good thing to do) let me know. Since you're not into fine dining per se I will recommend all the best standard options that will fill up your evenings with great tasting food for the best value for your buck. And if there's anything else you want to know, reading through the wiki and a few hundred pages of this thread is a must and if there are still questions unanswered we'll be happy to help!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:30 am

Programs: Airlines - Only in the pointy end on points, Hilton Diamond
While the dining plan offer is being thrown around by your esteemed self @MaldivesFreak.

What would you recommend for our 2nd trip to Rangali in September we arrive on EK658 on a Saturday morning and leave on Thursday night via SQ451?

We have no real need to visit Ithaa again, went to Koko Grill last time which was good but probably wouldn't go again.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:58 am

In addition to Koko Grill and Ithaa, what restaurants did you visit and special dinners did you have last time? 5 nights isn't many so it will give me a better idea and avoid recommending others you've already done.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:16 am

Hey MF, any feedback on my question around the 2 beach buffets at all? I read about them in here and I think that the champagne was the main difference?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 4:18 am

@MaldivesFreak, can you help with a dining question. We arrive Monday morning next for a 5 night stay. Since we arrive Monday aftera long flight in I imagine we would skip the maldivian night buffet. We are not foodies or fine dining types. We don't usually eat enough to justify a buffet. Do we have an option other than 5 nights at the bar?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CHSDOC
@MaldivesFreak, can you help with a dining question. We arrive Monday morning next for a 5 night stay. Since we arrive Monday aftera long flight in I imagine we would skip the maldivian night buffet. We are not foodies or fine dining types. We don't usually eat enough to justify a buffet. Do we have an option other than 5 nights at the bar?
We arrive the day before you, doing Mandhoo on Sunday, Cheese fondue Monday,Ufaa Thursday and Sunset grill on Friday-- Tuesday and Wednesday we have to figure out but I know one of those days will be Rangalli bar. If you aren't worried about the cost do the lobster and champagne on Saturday night, its just lobster on the grill, all the champagne and a ton of other meats and deserts.We did it last year and it was worth the cost.
Otherwise, fondue and Tapas nights, the bar one night and Mandhoo would be my picks.
I saw you were asking about whale shark sightings earlier, what day are you doing it? we currently have Wednesday booked but may change it to Friday based on a couple other excursions we want to do
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
In addition to Koko Grill and Ithaa, what restaurants did you visit and special dinners did you have last time? 5 nights isn't many so it will give me a better idea and avoid recommending others you've already done.
Cheers mate. The last trip was festive season 2016.

We went to Sunset Grill and Vilu both were pretty good. No special dinners last time. We had room service another night in our WV watching the sharks swim underneath the deck.

Lunch we had at Rangali Bar and Ufaa.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:10 am

@MaldivesFreak staying for 7 nights in November and would love to get your critique of our dining plan. We're not big fine dining people and don't have a huge budget, but don't want to just eat at the Rangali Bar each day.

Monday: Rangali Bar. We will arrive in the evening and will have eaten on our flight to MLE so likely won't need a big dinner.
Tuesday: Vilu
Wednesday: Fisherman's BBQ. We both love BBQ so are making this our one splurge dinner.
Thursday: Mandhoo
Friday: Rangali Bar
Saturday: Quiet Zone. Not sure about this one.
Sunday: Cheese & Tapas. I love cheese.

Thank you for your continued help!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:26 am

Jeez, I certainly have my work cut out for me with dining plans (and with PMs for them as well), LOL. OK, here goes;

@dcht
Looks good. May I suggest some things;
Wed: If this is rained out, do the Champagne & Lobster dinner on Saturday so initially keep Sat 'open' with Rangali Bar. Change Friday to Sunset Grill as you don't want to go to Rangali and not go there. Even better, put Sunset Grill on your last night and do the Cheese & Tapas (or Cheese Fondue) on the Friday.
Some advice on the Cheese & Tapas. This is a really filling meal and the cheese bit is a few pieces at the end. If you really like cheese either get them to put the cheese at the beginning of the evening or do the Cheese Fondue instead.
So, adjusted, it would look like this;

Monday: Rangali Bar
Tuesday: Vilu
Wednesday: Fisherman's BBQ (or Rangali Bar if rained out)
Thursday: Mandhoo
Friday: Cheese & Tapas or Cheese Fondue
Saturday: Rangali Bar (or Champagne & Lobster if Wednesday's Fisherman's BBQ is rained out) or even The Quiet Zone or something else like Ufaa if you are not wanting to do Rangali Bar twice*
Sunday: Sunset Grill

* my advice is not to visit the same outlet twice unless you're doing 10-12 days or more

@SponsorSFC
For your Saturday to Wednesday evening dining with no Ithaa and no Koko Grill I would suggest;
Sat: Mandhoo
Sun: Cheese and Tapas or Cheese Fondue
Mon: Maldivian Night or, if buffets aren't your fancy, Ufaa
Tue: Wine Pairing Dinner at The Wine Cellar (held on Tue & Fri nights). If you don't drink and think it's not worth the expense, you could go to Vilu instead
Wed: Sunset Grill

@CHSDOC
You certainly do have options other than 5 nights at the bar!
Mon: Rangali Bar (or maybe Ufaa)
Tue: Mandhoo
Wed: Cheese and Tapas or Cheese Fondue or maybe Ufaa if you fancy Chinese
Thu: Vilu
Fri: Sunset Grill

@Cynicor
Sorry, forgot your question. There was a post about the differences, or lack thereof, maybe a month ago but it's not worth searching for as basically it's just the champagne that's the biggest difference and they'd have more lobster out for guests than the Fisherman's BBQ, not that they'd run out of lobster at the Fisherman's BBQ! Other than that they're identical. Location is different though with the Fisherman's BBQ having the better location although there is usually much more wind there (at the DWV beach).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
If I am checking in on May 9th - Does anyone know that the timeframe is of when the hotel reaches out to you ahead of your check-in date? I assumed a month but wasn't sure.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:38 pm

Thank you MF.
So the main remaining query I have for anyone is if the morning yoga is still going at a more reasonable rate than 150 a couple?

I'll report back after my trip otherwise.

They hadn't reached out to me by yesterday, less than 3 weeks prior to arrival so maybe it's closer to 2 or fewer weeks?
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:00 pm

@MaldivesFreak great stuff thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by tjs121
I've done about six hours of research so far and even still I don't have a great handle on the answer to my question.

To be honest, I'm having trouble even getting to the right question. I guess it would be, given the price of the Conrad Rangali, is this resort "worth it" compared to other options in the Maldives for a June stay in an OWB? That's such a nebulous question since the definition of value is different for everyone. I guess I just struggle with the cost of everything, I have Hilton Diamond so it seems like I could get away with paying for dinner but by the time we order an entree each and have a bottle of wine or a few beers, we're at $200/night. That being said, I place little value on the quality of food; I'm not a fan at all (at least at my current age) of fine dining because I just don't "see" it. So the food plus the seaplane transfer plus the cost of the room and I figured just the Maldives alone would be $4,000. That wouldn't be the only place we would go on this trip and already it would be one of the more expensive vacations we've ever taken.

I guess my real question is: is it worth trying to seek value in the Maldives by going off Tripadvisor reviews and playing resort roulette or should I just accept the price for what is is knowing I have a high likelihood of getting a fantastic experience at the Conrad? I'm not sure how much value engineering I could do in a place like the Maldives since the cost of going is already pretty high.
If you have Hilton points and Diamond status, then it's almost silly not to stay at the Conrad. It is one of the top value redemption properties in the Hilton chain. In terms of food and beverage, it has been said here, including from me, that you could easily get away with not spending anything else after enjoying/feasting on your complimentary breakfast and then waiting 4 - 5 hours for complimentary afternoon tea / happy hour. Obviously if you did, you will miss out on enjoying many other restaurants and specialty dinners that are available - each are enjoyable in their own way except of the 'bill shock' that comes with it.

Without status or points, then I would be looking at package deals such as those that appear on Luxury Escapes for example. There can be some really good value all-inclusive deals out there.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Hi Alan.

Here's the dining plan. Sorry for the wait! Since you're only there for 5 nights it's gonna be a squeeze to get the whole resort experience in but here goes.....
Thanks so much for this. We'll be following this pretty closely. Pretty interested in the Maldivian Night buffet so we'll probably go that route.

With any luck, we'll have a second trip eventually.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: LH Sen, HH Diamond, IC RA
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Thank you MF.
So the main remaining query I have for anyone is if the morning yoga is still going at a more reasonable rate than 150 a couple?

I'll report back after my trip otherwise.

They hadn't reached out to me by yesterday, less than 3 weeks prior to arrival so maybe it's closer to 2 or fewer weeks?
They still have the group yoga in the morning for 35$++/person, minimum 2 people required, so don’t worry. (At least they had it on our last stay Christmas 2018/New Years )
This time,as they also didn‘t contacted us 3 weeks before our stay, we contacted them ourselves and told them our flight times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.